• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2016!?

bf89

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone.
There is already any news about if there will be a DV2016 or not?

Thanks

I know its a lottery, but does somebody know how many times in average people had to apply to be selected???
Thanks

How long is a piece of string? Some get selected first try. Others try ten times then give up. How you gonna get a success average out of that? Even in the unlikely event you can get an average it will only be people who kept entering, so it's not representative.

I know its a lottery, but does somebody know how many times in average people had to apply to be selected???
Thanks

Depends in the region. You can see OC has around 1 in 20 chance. But that is chance of being selected - and being selected, for example, in OC at position 3498 would be hopeless at getting the visa, but would have been a selectee.

Winning chances per year, per continent, per legitimate entry, DV-2007 through DV-2012[15]

RegionDV-2007DV-2008DV-2009DV-2010DV-2011DV-2012DV-2013
Africa except "special countries"1.31%2.40%2.30%2.19%2.06%1.69%1.84%
Asia0.48%0.63%0.64%0.61%0.68%0.84%0.93%
Europe except "special countries"1.26%1.85%1.94%2.10%1.75%1.63%1.31%
North America0.61%0.64%0.38%0.69%0.47%0.4%0.5%
Oceania4.13%4.57%4.62%5.49%4.63%5.28%6.22%
South and Central America and the Caribbean0.65%0.84%1.05%1.69%1.07%1.08%1.05%

Interesting, thanks guys.
Well, somehow I think its gonna be my last year of trying DV 2016. And then settle down at home if it doesnt work.

I got selected on my 5th or 6th attempt. DV isn't something you plan your life around. It's just something you do in the background and don't think about otherwise.

I agree... Me personally, I just feel like i would like to settle down and then stay at that place you know. I moved quite a few times in my life so I would like my final move to be permanent.

@Britsimon i have someone who is currently out of status here in the US asking me whether he can apply for DV 2016. i am sure that if he is selected, he can't take AOS route because he is out of status. will he be able to do CP at his home country? i think people out of status get a 10 years ban, so will the out of status get back at him with CP?

@Britsimon i have someone who is currently out of status here in the US asking me whether he can apply for DV 2016. i am sure that if he is selected, he can't take AOS route because he is out of status. will he be able to do CP at his home country? i think people out of status get a 10 years ban, so will the out of status get back at him with CP?

First of all - as we know, chances are he won't get selected.

If he does AOS, he is supposed to be in status when the file is accepted.

If he does CP after picking up a ban, yes he will have problems.

The ban gets bigger the longer he is out of status here - he should probably talk to a lawyer...

Reactions: CWH
From the FAQs :

In the past I have overstayed a non-immigrant visa, entered and lived in the United States
illegally, or have been deported from the United States. Am I eligible for a Diversity Visa?

Winning the diversity visa lottery does not remove pre-existing visa ineligibilities. If you know
that you are ineligible under the Immigration and Nationality Act’s Section 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(I) (the
“three year ban”) or Section212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) (the “ten year ban”), then you will be ineligible for
any immigrant visa until your ban expires.

Hi forum,I also got a friend who has over stayed in a different country like here in Europe and is having a 10year ban in that country but planing to go for an interview in his home country back in Africa . will he be affected as per the ban in his previews country? Please need advice. Thanks