• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2014 lottery selectee currently on J1 - AOS or CP, this is the question

Zodiaco

Registered Users (C)
All,

I have been selected for DV2014. I am currently on a J1 ending 12/2014. My visa expired in 03/13 and I cannot extend since I applied (and received) a waiver for the 2 year home residency requirement 212e. So, I am currently in status but without a valid visa.

I have opted for CP and was scheduled to interview with the US Consulate in Frankfurt on April 09th 2014. I was born in Romania but left when 17 and lived for 15+ years in Germany before moving to the US. I hold police certificates from both countries. I hold an advanced doctoral degree.

I was offered a faculty position at a prestigious California University starting June 15th, 2014.

My questions for you:
- go with CP or switch to AOS? I am scared of the eventuality that my application is denied and I cannot return to the US
- what is the timeline after CP? Can I come back to the US and start working right away?
- is there a place where I can check processing times for Frankfurt?
- what is your gut feeling about this?

Thank you so much!

Alex.

All,

I have been selected for DV2014. I am currently on a J1 ending 12/2014. My visa expired in 03/13 and I cannot extend since I applied (and received) a waiver for the 2 year home residency requirement 212e. So, I am currently in status but without a valid visa.

I have opted for CP and was scheduled to interview with the US Consulate in Frankfurt on April 09th 2014. I was born in Romania but left when 17 and lived for 15+ years in Germany before moving to the US. I hold police certificates from both countries. I hold an advanced doctoral degree.

I was offered a faculty position at a prestigious California University starting June 15th, 2014.

My questions for you:
- go with CP or switch to AOS? I am scared of the eventuality that my application is denied and I cannot return to the US
- what is the timeline after CP? Can I come back to the US and start working right away?
- is there a place where I can check processing times for Frankfurt?
- what is your gut feeling about this?

Thank you so much!

Alex.

Do you have any serious concern about being denied? If so - yes you might be better off on aos (I will let Sm1smom comment on your status).
After CP you could be back in US after about a week or so. You could start work immediately.
The processing time (at Frankfurt or any embassy) is measured in minutes - you get approved/denied immediately UNLESS you are put on AP (somewhat rare in EU). Then it takes a few days for your passport to get the stamp.
You have time for AOS and CP should be safe unless you know otherwise. So - either way is fine...

Thank you britsimon! I hope your number will be current soon, it would be more than fair after all the help you spread in this forum!

No, I am not aware of anything that might impede CP for me. Maybe you or anybody else can chime in with what serious concerns of being denied might be??? I was just worried because of the timing, but after learning that I can work immediately while still holding the initial visa, I am relieved. It is more the hassle of flying to Germany ($$$), medical exams ($$$), hotels, rental cars, bla bla. I lived in Romania till I was 17, so I will need all the paperwork from there, too. On the other hand, if the whole process is smooth, it is probably well worth it. My only and biggest concern is leaving the US without holding a valid visa!
Thank you!