• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

- Tax paperwork. Interviewer asked several questions about our state tax returns. Not quite an audit but it was unexpected. Kept original employee copies of W-2 forms.

State returns? I didn't think they're ever required or asked for. How did you end up discussing your state return with her?

In'shallah we are done with this.

We had our interview at the USCIS NYC Federal Plaza office today. Showed up half an our before our appointment time. Security was very quick and easy, and sign-in was also quick.

Interviewer called us about half an hour late. Discussion went as follows:
- Passport, drivers' license, I-94.

- "Employment authorization."

Showed DS-2019 paperwork and authorization from school for J-1 academic training. Interviewer had no idea what a DS-2019 was or what academic training was, and accused us of making fraudulent papers at home and being an overstay student. (No, I am not making this up.) Obviously we said this was not true and explained what academic training was, what a DS-2019 was, who issues it, etc.

Interviewer went away for 15 minutes and came back and asked if the DS-2019 had been "approved" by USCIS. Stated that this was not necessary. Frown from interviewer.

- Tax paperwork. Interviewer asked several questions about our state tax returns. Not quite an audit but it was unexpected. Kept original employee copies of W-2 forms.

- J-1 HRR waiver. Interviewer took our original J-1 waiver paperwork. Skeptical inquiry about why the address on the waiver approval letter was different from our current address. Explained that waiver was sent to school address a year ago and we moved after we graduated. Frown.

Left for another 15 minutes.

- Checked diploma, birth certificate, DV fee receipt and AOS EAD.

- Took phone number. Asked whether the number was a cellphone and where its area code was from. Frown when told her the area code was from where we went to school.

- Stated that we were "mostly approved," that she had had a question about being in status but had verified it in "another system" (most likely SEVIS), and that we would hear in 3-4 weeks.

No discussion of name check and didn't see any benefit to raising additional questions at end of interview. Did not get stamp.

Spent the day wondering wtf "mostly approved" meant.

Late this evening, got "Card Production Ordered" from CRIS.

Suggestions:
- Don't get intimidated by a hostile interviewer. Our theory on her behavior was that she was just trying to see if we would crack under pressure.
- Bring all conceivable paperwork.
- Keep in mind the interviewer has very limited authority and it's less likely that a nonsense reason for a denial would get past a supervisor.

We clearly were very fortunate not to get stuck in name check.

Our timeline:
- 2006: enter lottery
- May 2007: receive DV notification letter
- Summer 2007: J-1 212(e) waiver process, approved (a whole story in itself).

- January 2, 2008: Sent papers to KCC and DV fee payment to Pittsburgh
- January 4, 2008: KCC sent AOS acknowledgement; Pittsburgh sent receipt.

- February 28, 2008: sent I-485 packet UPS Overnight
- March 3, 2008: delivered
- April 21, 2008: receipt generated for I-485/I-765/I-131
- April 23, 2008: biometrics letter generated
- May 9, 2008: biometrics
- May 12, 2008: interview letter sent
- May 14, 2008: advance parole/EAD approved
- June 11, 2008: interview/card production ordered

Good luck to everyone -- hope this is helpful.

Congratulations. its over at last. do you know if they had ur file from KCC at the interview?
Anyways, am still waiting for an interview letter. Schduled infopass for tomorrow and i'll see what they tell me.

State returns? I didn't think they're ever required or asked for. How did you end up discussing your state return with her?

The interview letter came with an exhaustive list of stuff they wanted, which is as follows:

CALL 1-800-375-5283 FOR LIST OF DOCTORS

REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION FOR DV ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT

Note: IT IS REQUIRED THAT ALL APPLICANTS APPEAR FOR THE INTERVIEW!!!!!

THERE IS A SUBSTANTIAL RISK OF YOUR CASE BEING DENIED AT THE TIME OF INTERVIEW FOR FAILURE TO SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION!

1. Photo identification for the applicant. Examples of proper identification are: State issued Driver's license/Identification card. Store bought ID cards are not considered proper identification.

2. Applicants passport and I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record). Any I-539/I-529 approval notice (extension or change of status form).

3. Original birth certificate for applicant. Birth certificates for ALL of the applicant's children (natural, adopted or step-children).

4. Original marriage registration from civil authorities. ALL divorce decrees and/or death certificates from ALL previous marriages.

5. Employment letter from applicant. Employment letters must be on company letterhead. The letter must state the date employment began, date employment ended (must state if employment continues today), salary, and have a detailed job description. An official of the employing agency must sign the letter with a contact phone number. The latest two pay stubs/statements must also be submitted.

6. Federal, state and local income tax returns for the past year from the applicant. Submit the signed and dated returns and all W-2 statements and/or 1099 statements for these returns.

7. IRS form 1722 or IRS printout for the past year from the applicant. IRS printout must be provided even if taxes were not filed.

8. Furnish two (2) color photographs. These photos must have a white background, photos must be glossy, un-retouched, and not mounted. Dimension of the facial image should be about 1 inch from chin to top of hair or head, shown in full-frontal view (passport photos). Using soft pencil or felt pen, print name (and alien registration receipt number, if known) on the back of each photograph.

9. If necessary, please provide an I-134 affidavit of support with all supporting documentation. Sponsor must provide the past year's tax returns with the W-2 or the IRS form 1722 (IRS printout).

10. An I-693 Medical Examination form and Supplement A, Immunization Record, (only needed if an I-693 & supplement were not previously submitted) must be provided in a SEALED envelope (UNLESS PREVIOUSLY PROVIDED AT TIME OF FILING).

11. Original State Department receipt endorsed "PAID" by the DVC showing that the fee has been paid for each family member applying (bring a copy to submit at interview unless previously submitted).

12. If you entered EWI, please provide proof of physical presence prior to 12/21/00.

13. Copy of high school diploma (and translation if necessary) or qualifying job letter.

Originals and PHOTOCOPIES OF ALL DOCUMENTS ARE TO BE SUBMITTED during the interview. Photocopies must include passports and ID cards. Please note: the Service will retain, for the record, any original document submitted as evidence unless a photocopy is made [8 CFR 103.2(b)(4)].

Of this we were asked for numbers 1-4, 6-7, 11, 13, and then stuff not on the list like the J-1 specific documents discussed earlier.

She was very interested in state tax compliance...

Congratulations. its over at last. do you know if they had ur file from KCC at the interview?
Anyways, am still waiting for an interview letter. Schduled infopass for tomorrow and i'll see what they tell me.

The furniture in the interviewer's office was carefully positioned so you could not see what was on the desk. KCC had told us a month earlier that they had shipped out the file so I assume they had/have it.

the Furniture In The Interviewer's Office Was Carefully Positioned So You Could Not See What Was On The Desk. Kcc Had Told Us A Month Earlier That They Had Shipped Out The File So I Assume They Had/have It.

I Called Kcc Today And They Said My File Has Not Been Requested By Uscis. Thats Why I Was Asking.

In our case USCIS pulled the file the same day they sent out the interview letter.

yeah, thats why i was wondering if Missouri office does schedule the interview or the local office as the office where i live in kinda small.
Talked to USCIS Customer rep about 2 weeks ago, and she told me that my local office already requested my file sometime in May but there was no way she could tell if the file has been sent.
man, the waiting is kinda killing me. i just want to get this over with.

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with your namecheck.

I would wait until it's 45+ days since the request to expedite was placed (this is going to be soon, right). Follow-up with your congressman and senator at the end of this.

I would schedule an INFOPASS once it's something like 47 days.

* Point out that there was a request to expedite your namecheck.
* If the officer does not acknowledge what the previous officers said, explain politely that you're not dealing with private persons but with USCIS as an agency. That your situation is out of the ordinary (DV + namecheck submitted multiple times) and it has to be dealt with accordingly.
* If the officer does not acknowledge that your situation is unusual and just gives standard answers, explain that the DV has a time limit and ask to involve his/her supervisor.
* If the officer refuses to involve his/her supervisor, or the supervisor is not helpful, ask to write to the local office director. If they refuse, I wouldn't argue.
* The memos that you discovered should help.

If you get nowhere with this INFOPASS, and nowhere with the congressman and senator, the only thing I can think of is to get a good lawyer.

Thanks, Plus ! You've helped me a lot. I really like your 2nd point above. I'm so emotionally involved in this process that I cannot even begin to think about replies like the ones you mention. Thanks again!

Today, I talked to the senator's office to confirm that both name checks were submitted for my application and to express my concern with the actual names sent (none of them is my name when that's what should have been submitted). I told them that I don't want them to request CIS to submit yet another name check for my application (with my actual name - FBI is gonna try aliases and one of the name already submitted is very close and, most probably, they're gonna end up checking that combination also). I also tried to emphasize that these submissions were done very late and the deadline is 3-4 months away. Bottom line: they'll follow up and try to get my name check expedited based on the DV application's time-sensitivity. Between my request (made 1 month ago) and theirs, I'm hoping that something good is gonna come out.

Let's hope for the best !

I was in the local office again. To my big surprise the local office has been moved recently and now it is few miles away from my place. I can go there anytime now. They told me that my case has been just transferred few days ago in the new office and pretty much soon after they open all boxes I would probably hear something from them. For my question about my name check, the officer told me that she does not know because they received my case few days ago and they did not have a chance to review it. If I do not receive anything from them in two weeks I will go to see them again and afterwards contact a congressman or anyone who can help to expedite my case.

Zafar

April 24

Hey,
Local office has my stuff since April 24...
I've scheduled 2 infopasses,
in the first I was told the responsible officer was aware of time sensitivty and that in 90 days it should be completed.

In the second infopass, another officer told me that he shall forward our concern with time sensitivity.

I am thinking about a third infopass in 2 months...I wonder whether they will get pissed off, and do bad things with my application, because we would be 'taking their time too much'

Last edited by a moderator:
AOS Facts !

Well....after reading many of you DV-AOS' ers probs with the USCIS, I really thought they may be hard pressed in handling A LOT OF time sensitive DV cases.

Afterall you all may have heard the 'myth' that say that one has a 'greater chance' of winning DV if already in US or if one list a US adress.

But mostly well under an avg of ~1200 DV principal applicant(PA) cases, each year, were approved as AOS during the last 5 years !! (avg. total visas of ~2000 each year)

In addition to this, a few cases that opted for AOS may have got denied, I do not think it is a lot though.(any stats on that #s? ). Even with, say 50% denial a total ~ 4-6k ?

Following summary of approved DV-AOS #s are from the detailed stats found at
www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/publications/index.shtm#1

(they have stats for earlier years as well)

FY / PAs / Spouses/ Kids / Total /

2007 ..807 352 201 1360
2006 1112 454 287 1853
2005 1110 461 279 1850
2004 1195 495 341 2031
2003 1572 645 380 2597

Thank God that the USCIS is not handeling the neary 20-25k PA cases that has got approved each year as CP, imagine that!! (I know some who do CP are infact could do AOS, instead they do CP for a good reason it seems!)

Why can't they handle the DV AOS crop as a seperate category and handle them asap in the FY than waiting for cut off numbers? I dont think that the total numbers could be anything great (as per prior stats) that it may be unfair by the ppl who do CP.

But then...convincing USCIS to consider it as a feasible method ....hmm...that may be a whole new mess in the making!!

Cheers !

Last edited by a moderator:
i still haven't received interview letter after a month of fingerprint. called USCIS a few times and also went for an infopass, and they are just telling me to wait. anyways, if i don't hear from them by the end of next wk, i think i'll be talking to my senator.
Better to start working on that right now than to wait until its too late.

i still haven't received interview letter after a month of fingerprint. called USCIS a few times and also went for an infopass, and they are just telling me to wait. anyways, if i don't hear from them by the end of next wk, i think i'll be talking to my senator.
Better to start working on that right now than to wait until its too late.

The positive to this is that, when you do finally have your interview, you will be approved promptly (if you believe them that your name check is clear).

A note to your congressman or senator should cause the interview letter to move along.

The positive to this is that, when you do finally have your interview, you will be approved promptly (if you believe them that your name check is clear).

A note to your congressman or senator should cause the interview letter to move along.

yeah, i had an infopass and it was confirmed that it was clear. Also spoke to a customer service rep who looked up my info and also told me that it has cleared. so, by next wk like i said, i'll be contacting my senators office.

Hi all,

I mailed my application with all the required documents to Chicago but I forgot to include the cover letter. Is it a big deal? If it is, how do I correct the situation?

Hi,

I just realized that I made a mistake when I was filling the form 1 765. I realised it when I received the NOA today. I wrote a wrong middle name. The I 485 was however correct. What do you think that I should do.

Thanks

Hi,

I just realized that I made a mistake when I was filling the form 1 765. I realised it when I received the NOA today. I wrote a wrong middle name. The I 485 was however correct. What do you think that I should do.

Thanks

wrong middle name? its like saying you wrote the wrong name on ur application.
U can call USCIS and see what they tell ya