• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

PS - for all those worrying about the namecheck, there is a gernalized rush put on DV applicants in July, so don't worry. Also, some problems can continue after when you first enter the country - my husband has the same name as a wanted IRA terrorist and when we entered the US a couple of weeks ago he had to go through a clearance process whcih took about and hour. We were told it could happen a couple more times before he is officially recognized as not the IRA one! But don't stress, and just remember, you cannot be deported as a permanent resident unless you have committed a felony, and you always have the right to appear before an immigration judge (they will never tell you this, so keep it in your mind), and if one is not available until the next day, the immigration regs provide that they must put you up in a hotel (NOT a detention center, so don't let that threat deter you).

Been a while since I checked in here. Brothers et al who are worrying about online status changes, my status didn't actually change before I recieved my card. My welcome letter came the day before the card, and I think it was about 10 days-2 weeks after the interview.

Stressedstudent, really thanks alot. this is the best news that I have received in the past couple of days. I have been checking the online status every 15minutes, because the people told me that the case status should change right after the interview.
thanks again for the information

how long after biomentrics u got ur interview letter that gives you the date of interview/

5 weeks between the biometrics test, and getting the interview letter.

and when I received the interview letter, I only had one week for the interview.

Same with ours - took ages to change online.

Been a while since I checked in here. Brothers et al who are worrying about online status changes, my status didn't actually change before I recieved my card. My welcome letter came the day before the card, and I think it was about 10 days-2 weeks after the interview.

Quick question: At the interview, if you are approved, what do they do with/to your passport. Do you have to leave the passport there? Is there a stamp involved?

Quick question: At the interview, if you are approved, what do they do with/to your passport. Do you have to leave the passport there? Is there a stamp involved?

in my case, he didn't do anything on the passport. I asked him to stamp it, and he said "since you will receive the green card in a short time, there is no need to stamp". also I asked him the EAD card, and he said "keep the EAD card with you, and whenever you receive GC, please destroy it."

They didn't stamp our passports as they said the Green Cards would follow in approx 10 days (which they did).

Delivered: 3/4
Today: 4/16
Total number of days: 43
Check cleared: No.

If it isn't receipted by the end of the month then we will probably switch to CP. We'll have a fight on our hands with USCIS about the $1,010. And I doubt the DOS will let us use the $375 towards the visa fee at the consulate.

Any news yet??

dematra,
They stamped my passport because I asked them since i was planning on traveling a few days after the interview. But the officer told me that they don't stamp passports anymore.

have u called customer service to see what they tell ya?? everyone that i talk to always have something different to say.

They want us to wait until the end of the month and then call again.

We're going to bail out and switch to CP on 5/1 if we haven't heard anything.

That said, we've only just reached the 45 day mark the other fellow got his NOA at so we're still hoping we're... almost... there.

For what it's worth, anyone who got the 2009 NL, IMO you are insane to consider AOS if you can find a week to go home and do CP. We did this because we are on expired visas (valid I-94s) and didn't want to get stuck in AP and lose our jobs. Seems like a bad deal now that we can feel this slipping through our fingers.

i just know this morning my name check is clear since March 28 but i havent receive my green card. why is taking too long to receive my green card? i have been told during the interview everything is good just wait for name check.

How did you learn that your namecheck is clear? Did your online status change in any way?

They want us to wait until the end of the month and then call again.

We're going to bail out and switch to CP on 5/1 if we haven't heard anything.

That said, we've only just reached the 45 day mark the other fellow got his NOA at so we're still hoping we're... almost... there.

For what it's worth, anyone who got the 2009 NL, IMO you are insane to consider AOS if you can find a week to go home and do CP. We did this because we are on expired visas (valid I-94s) and didn't want to get stuck in AP and lose our jobs. Seems like a bad deal now that we can feel this slipping through our fingers.

Am same with you guys. am on an expired f-1 visa and don't wanna get stuck in AP either. Anyways, i think u'll guys will be hearing from them sometime this wk. its just frustrating to have to wait this long.
I strongly believe that your check will be cashed by tuesday if not monday and NOA in ur mailbox by thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
i went to local offices and i asked them about my Name check and told me its cleare since march 28. there is nothing change in online status thats why i'm wondering why it havent change yet.. i'll just gonna make another infopsaa and ask them when i suppose to receive the green card...

After they said that your background check has cleared, did the officer say your case was approved? Did you ask the officer if your case was approved?

I'm new to this forum.
I got my first NL last month as DV2009 winner with CN 19xx (AF).
I'm a student here in US with J1.
can I do AOS here or AOS is for F1 only?
Also, it was mentioned in the package that I have to send $775 to US DOS.
So, I sent the forms to KCC and the fees to the address mentioned in the NL.
After reading your replys here, I found that all of you paid $375, has the fees raised this year?
Also I found that I did a big mistake by sending those fees that early.
Idon't know.
Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm new to this forum.
I got my first NL last month as DV2009 winner with CN 19xx (AF).
I'm a student here in US with J1.
can I do AOS here or AOS is for F1 only?
Also, it was mentioned in the package that I have to send $775 to US DOS.
So, I sent the forms to KCC and the fees to the address mentioned in the NL.
After reading your replys here, I found that all of you paid $375, has the fees raised this year?
Also I found that I did a big mistake by sending those fees that early.
Idon't know.
Any advice will be appreciated.

I don't know what you mean by " DOS" but yes, all you needed to send to KCC office or whatever they are in PA was$375 unless they increased the fee. You can call KCC and ask them if you could put a hold on the check and then resend thesame form again with the appriopriate fee. If that $775 gets cashed, u will be outta luck. again, paying early like u did dosen't make any difference.
Yes, u can adjust status on j1 visa but you have to get the waiver. U know what i mean.

I don't know what you mean by " DOS" but yes, all you needed to send to KCC office or whatever they are in PA was$375 unless they increased the fee. You can call KCC and ask them if you could put a hold on the check and then resend thesame form again with the appriopriate fee. If that $775 gets cashed, u will be outta luck. again, paying early like u did dosen't make any difference.
Yes, u can adjust status on j1 visa but you have to get the waiver. U know what i mean.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
DOS, I meant Dept of State.

But what do you mean by waiver?
If you mean the two years residency, I don't have that restriction on my visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for the reply.
DOS, I meant Dept of State.

But what do you mean by waiver?
If you mean the two years residency, I don't have that restriction on my visa.

yes, i mean the 2 yrs restrictions.Thats good if you don't have any restrictions

i just know this morning my name check is clear since March 28 but i havent receive my green card. why is taking too long to receive my green card? i have been told during the interview everything is good just wait for name check.

First of all congratulations Van!
Probably nobody looked at your case since namecheck was approved. I do recommend infopass appointments at least weekly now and specifically ask clerk to adjudicate your case or escalate it to officer attention. Also at this point mail to congressmen and senator should help.
Anyway you case should be approved soon.

My namecheck still pending as far as I know. I have infopass Apr 7. Going to have next at May.