• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

cranberries79,

If you apply for J-1 extension you'll need to apply for waiver again.
I would suggest to have everything prepared to apply for a J1 or H1B visa if your AOS gets rejected. In the worst case scenario you'll have to leave the country for a couple of months and wait for the visa to be approved...But if you maintained status in US and all your paperwork looks OK, I don't see a reason for them to reject your AOS.

Hello,
I have obtained a waiver of the 2 year home residency requirement for my J-1, and my current status as a J-1 ends this may.

My DV based AOS is pending, and may not be finalized until after May.

So 2 questions.
1) Shall I apply for extension of J-1 visa status whilst my AOS is pending, just so that I remain in status, and don't lose status in case AOS is rejected.

2) If I extend my J-1 status in May, then would that mean that I get another 2 year rule on top of the waiver. In other words, although I got a waiver of the 2 year rule, would the waiver be obsolete if I were to extend the J-1 status. If so, what would this mean for my pending DV based AOS application.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

Had a couple of questions to people who already got their NOAs..I got my NOA around Mar 21st and got my biometrics appt letter the day after. But when I check the status online it says "validation error" or something like that for the receipt numbers. Do you guys know/remember how long it took after you got your NOA for it to show up in the USCIS online system?

Also, I noticed that the receipt numbers on the letters (NOA & biometrics appt) that we received are different from that were stamped on the back of our checks. The checks for me and my spouse had receipt numbers MSCxxxxxxxx63 and MSCxxxxxxxx64 and the letters had the next two numbers in sequence - 65 and 66? Not sure if this is normal? I tried all four of these numbers online but all of them gave the same error. Anyways I will try to clarify with the local office when we go for our biometrics appt next week.

Thanks,

Hello everyone;

I will have some questions for the interview.

1-) I have lived in 2 different cities which belong to the same county.
I got the police certificate for the two cities that I have lived in US. Also, I got the police certificate from the county police department of these two cities. Do I need to get an other police certificate for all the state from the police department of the capital of the state?

2-) I don't have the original document of my "employee copy" (copy c) of my W2 form for 2008. But, I have the copy of it, can it be a problem?

3-) After the interview is there an oath part? Will I swear to protect US?

4-) I have received my EAD card after the biometrics test. Will I give it back after the interview?

and one more question

5-) will the officer give me any document after the interview, or will he/she stamp my passport?

1. THe police report that u have obtained should be fine, i guess
2. u should get tax transcripts by calling IRS, even i don't have the employee copy of my W2
3. i guess, there will be an oath part before the interview. Y sud u care?
4. u can keep the EAD card. That will work until u get ur plastic GC. This would help u get a job.
5. they dun stamp passport nowadays. u will receive welcome letter in the mail.

hope this helps, even though i am not sure if they are correct:rolleyes:

Hello everyone;

2-) I don't have the original document of my "employee copy" (copy c) of my W2 form for 2008. But, I have the copy of it, can it be a problem?

3-) After the interview is there an oath part? Will I swear to protect US?

4-) I have received my EAD card after the biometrics test. Will I give it back after the interview?

5-) will the officer give me any document after the interview, or will he/she stamp my passport?

2) you can get tax transcripts if you filed tax previously (search irs.gov for tax transcript).

3) yes, but not about protecting the country :)

4) if the officer asks, then you need to give it back.

5) depends on officers. my passport got stamped. :)

Hi,

Had a couple of questions to people who already got their NOAs..I got my NOA around Mar 21st and got my biometrics appt letter the day after. But when I check the status online it says "validation error" or something like that for the receipt numbers. Do you guys know/remember how long it took after you got your NOA for it to show up in the USCIS online system?

Also, I noticed that the receipt numbers on the letters (NOA & biometrics appt) that we received are different from that were stamped on the back of our checks. The checks for me and my spouse had receipt numbers MSCxxxxxxxx63 and MSCxxxxxxxx64 and the letters had the next two numbers in sequence - 65 and 66? Not sure if this is normal? I tried all four of these numbers online but all of them gave the same error. Anyways I will try to clarify with the local office when we go for our biometrics appt next week.

Thanks,

i got a similar situation before. got 3 NOA's (AP, EAD, and AOS). the ones for AP and EAD had status shown up at the online system, but not for the AOS.

i called the 800 number and spoke to an officer (the first one you talk to is likely not an officer. after you explained your case (saw "invalid case number" at online system), then he/she will transfer you to an officer which has access to the actual system). the officer said that the online system and real system are not in-sync all the time.

i don't know how they update the online system. but if they update it manually, then it would be a burden they created to make their workload heavier... :( however, if it is sync automatically, then there should not be cases that do not show up at the online system...

so my suggestion to you is to call that 1800 number

in my interview letter, it says to bring all items that are checked.

1-) one is these items is:
"original birth certificates for all children born to the marriage"
but I have never married in my life, and I do not have any child.

2-)another item is;
beneficiary must bring two photos. petitioner must apper at interview with you. if petitioner fails to appear, your application may be denied. please bring photocopies of last 3 years of petitioner's income taxes with W-2 forms for INS to keep.

my first question is; who is beneficiary, and who is petitioner. I have applied by myself, I don't have wife, and I don't have children.

second question is; what is the "income taxes with W-2 forms"? are these the copies of W-2 forms, or something else?

perl said "you can get tax transcripts if you filed tax previously; search irs.gov for tax transcript" How I can get them online? my interview is next week, and I don't have too much time.

Thanks a lot.

DVLottery 2008- Question on Form I790

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am just getting ready to post the final package to Chicago (DV Lottery 2008).My case number is availble for the month of April. Do I also need to include the Form I790 ? I think this is the travel document while waiting for the GC. Also, what happens if my spouse was working with an expired AOE? i am the principle winner for the DVLottery. Please advise

For those of you who are still waiting to do AOS for DV 2008, take a look at

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/MARCBOQA.pdf question #11.

It says "The Chicago Lockbox accepts all Diversity Visa filings within the fiscal year for which the applicant has been selected." So it looks like as long as you apply within the same fiscal year, you are ok. DV2009 winners will have to wait till Oct '08. So as per the above, all DV2008 cases could apply without waiting for the numbers to become current. Again, only my opinion, you are best to talk to an immigration attorney...

Thanks,

It says "The Chicago Lockbox accepts all Diversity Visa filings within the fiscal year for which the applicant has been selected." So it looks like as long as you apply within the same fiscal year, you are ok. DV2009 winners will have to wait till Oct '08. So as per the above, all DV2008 cases could apply without waiting for the numbers to become current. Again, only my opinion, you are best to talk to an immigration attorney...

At the same time, people who scheduled an INFOPASS at their local USCIS office were told different things. (Submit only when the number is current, or submit at most 1-2 months before the number is current.) So USCIS is not entirely consistent on this point.

In the same memo, the person who asked the question says

Some attorneys report that such advance DV-Lottery I-485 adjustments (as described above) have been rejected under the premise that the DV-Lottery rank is not current.​

So in practice, an application made before the number is current could well be rejected. If you application is rejected, it would be at least 1-2 months before you find out, and you could lose valuable time.

It is up to the applicant to decide how much risk to take. One thing is certain - if you submit when your number is current, you'll be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read through this thread, you will see people who have contacted their local congressman/senator for help with processing/status check. I've been told that your local representatives can request for a status check on your case and might request USCIS to expediate your processing. If you have a local USCIS office close by, I would first check your case status with your local office by taking an infopass appointment.

What I should do while my name check is pending? Is there anything i can do to expedite the name check to be clear?

is this info correct? please clarify?

Please see my reply two posts ago. :)

I have been reading the thread and following what one has to do in order to compile a complete AOS for me and my family. I have an F1 visa and so does my wife. I would like to apply for the travel document as I have not visted my family for a while. When I was filling out the form I think it is Form I790 it asks how you filed your taxes. I am not sure what this means and how it will inpact us because my wife had worked on an expired OPT(EAD). My number became current in April 2008AF212XX. I would appreciate you good people advice.God bless

I have been reading the thread and following what one has to do in order to compile a complete AOS for me and my family. I have an F1 visa and so does my wife. I would like to apply for the travel document as I have not visted my family for a while. When I was filling out the form I think it is Form I790 it asks how you filed your taxes. I am not sure what this means and how it will inpact us because my wife had worked on an expired OPT(EAD). My number became current in April 2008AF212XX. I would appreciate you good people advice.God bless

i don't think there was any where on either I-485, I-765 or I-131 that any tax information was asked. About her working on expired EAD, u reallyc annot predict what might happen. i had a friend who worked without authorization for years and he was on f-1 visa. when he won the lottery, he met a few attorneys and the told him that there was no way his AOS was going to be approved. he didn't have any choice but to Apply for AOS and it was approved.
Have u mailed ur I-485 yet and how for how long did she work illegally?