• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV lottery winners and J1 HRR waiver: please post your experiences

Zodiaco

Registered Users (C)
All,

I am looking for people, who won the DV lottery but had to first get a J1 HRR waiver prior to obtaining the Greencard based on the lottery. I am right now in this intricate situation and would love to hear from others. Thank you!

IMO & knowledge you MUST have with you the waiver the day you sign your i-485. Include a copy.
DO NOT file i-485 thinking you will have the waiver later by the time of your intvw.

Talk to a lawyer for good professional advise!

Best!

If you are a DV-2013 then it's too late. If you are a DV-2014 start now because the process takes no less than 4 months and can extend for a year since you need to deal not only with USCIS but also with your own country's consulate and government.

Pryanik :)

Thank you for your replies. I know that I need the waiver at the interview and I am DV2014.I am still looking for folks who went through this whole process and actually GOT a greencard. Thank you!

The process is tedious because you have to first file your case with the DoS. Then you initiate the process at your country's consulate in the US (some countries only do it for people living in the US under certain visas such as J1 or F1) with your case number from the DoS and in the meantime you have to get the no objecion letter (if this is the route you have to take) from your government which usually can be obtained only in your country. Then this is sent to your consulate and the no objection letter goes straight from your country to your embassy in Washington which in turn sends it to DoS. More information here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html

To start the process with your country find your country's closest consulate in the US.

Thank you for your replies. I know that I need the waiver at the interview and I am DV2014.I am still looking for folks who went through this whole process and actually GOT a greencard. Thank you!

Thank you. Yes, I have the non objection letter from my home county (germany) and I have filed everything with the DoS. The link was helpful, thank you, I found some positive cases. I am really not looking for (generic) info, since I read all these forums until my eyes fell off. I am hoping to find successful greencard holders that went through the process and can chime in if needed. Again, thank you for your input!

Zodiaco,

I obtained the HRR waiver and, later on, I got the Green Card. You have filed with DoS but the original no objection statement is sent straight from the German Foreign Affairs Ministry to the German Consulate in Washington and from there it is sent to the DoS. What you have in hands is the copy of the no objection statement given to you by your closest German Consulate in the US. If you have received it then it means that now you just need to wait until your case is approved. You will receive an I-797, Notice of Action, when your case is approved.

* I assume you are in the US and are planning to do AOS.

Thank you. Yes, I have the non objection letter from my home county (germany) and I have filed everything with the DoS. The link was helpful, thank you, I found some positive cases. I am really not looking for (generic) info, since I read all these forums until my eyes fell off. I am hoping to find successful greencard holders that went through the process and can chime in if needed. Again, thank you for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, that is what I want to hear. Yes, the NOL was sent from the Embassy directly to the DoS. As I said, I want to see that this avenue was pursued also by others in the past :) All I can do now is wait and hope everything works out nicely. Yes, I opted for AOS but I might change to CP when the waiver comes. My DV number is quite high.