• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery Public Charge

vinitkumar

Hi All,

i was reading inthe internet that during interview one needs to provide evidence that one will not become a public charge in the USA, evidence can be inthe form of personal funds, affidavit of support or offer of employment.

in regards to personal funds:
what would be the minimum funds one needs to declare (have inthe bank account).

in regards to support:
a family friend is willing to provide temporary accommodation only until im able to find a job and then rent a flat own my own . would affidavit of support still be applicable? what if i just get the family friend to give a personal letter in regards to this temporary accomodation?

offer of employment:
how can one provide a offer of employment, no employer would provide a offer of employment until one gets to usa?

Please assist

Hi All,

i was reading inthe internet that during interview one needs to provide evidence that one will not become a public charge in the USA, evidence can be inthe form of personal funds, affidavit of support or offer of employment.

in regards to personal funds:
what would be the minimum funds one needs to declare (have inthe bank account).

in regards to support:
a family friend is willing to provide temporary accommodation only until im able to find a job and then rent a flat own my own . would affidavit of support still be applicable? what if i just get the family friend to give a personal letter in regards to this temporary accomodation?

offer of employment:
how can one provide a offer of employment, no employer would provide a offer of employment until one gets to usa?

Please assist

Hey Vinit,

I will answer your queries sequentially as follows:

1) Personal funds - there is a document online (I will have to look for the link) about being above the official US Poverty Line. Anyway you need to have between $10,000 and $20,000 in your account. When you attend the interview, check the Embassy specific guidelines beforehand about how many months bank statements you should take. If it doesn't mention anything then take 6 months bank statements with you just in case.

2) Support - yes you will need an affidavit of support I-134 from your host and I believe it needs to be notarised (check this as I may be mistaken and I will also check it) and sent to you so that you can take it to the interview. A letter will not suffice.

3) Employment - this is purely circumstantial. You need to try this out on your own and apply for jobs with a covering letter saying you intend to immigrate and take your chances. If you don't have an offer of employment it is not an issue provided you have funds or an affidavit of support. On the forms (where it asks what work you will do in the US) you can simply write "undecided."

I hope the above was useful.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - Not Yet
Police Clearance - Not Yet
Medicals - Not Yet
Interviews - Hopefully in mid-August
Visa Pick up - Hopefully in mid-August
Port of Entry - New York JFK or Washington Dulles

Hey Vinit,

I will answer your queries sequentially as follows:

1) Personal funds - there is a document online (I will have to look for the link) about being above the official US Poverty Line. Anyway you need to have between $10,000 and $20,000 in your account. When you attend the interview, check the Embassy specific guidelines beforehand about how many months bank statements you should take. If it doesn't mention anything then take 6 months bank statements with you just in case.

2) Support - yes you will need an affidavit of support I-134 from your host and I believe it needs to be notarised (check this as I may be mistaken and I will also check it) and sent to you so that you can take it to the interview. A letter will not suffice.

3) Employment - this is purely circumstantial. You need to try this out on your own and apply for jobs with a covering letter saying you intend to immigrate and take your chances. If you don't have an offer of employment it is not an issue provided you have funds or an affidavit of support. On the forms (where it asks what work you will do in the US) you can simply write "undecided."

I hope the above was useful.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - Not Yet
Police Clearance - Not Yet
Medicals - Not Yet
Interviews - Hopefully in mid-August
Visa Pick up - Hopefully in mid-August
Port of Entry - New York JFK or Washington Dulles

Hey Momo,

the threshold you mentioned above '$10,000 - $20,000" would refer to US Dollar?

@vinitkumar Documents to prove you will not become a public charge may be different from embassy to embassy so please check the guidelines of your embassy.
There are many embassy were no bank statements are in need but there are places were a bank statement with considerable funds is requested.
If you have a friend/family in US and they want to help you with something, than maybe they will be confident and have enough financial to sign a affidavit of support I-134 form for you. They/you have to check with the USCIS office about this form and the path to provide it. If they don't want to sign the form but still they want to help you somehow, they can fill a sign and notarized letter where they will offer their support for a while and they knowledge to help you on your first steps in US.
If you have a job offer from a US company than ask them to fill and notarize a job offer where they will clearly offer you a position in their company as soon as you'll have your GC.
I hope my answer will help you decide. Please review the answer and other information on the net.

Hi Momo1980!

Just to confirm you dont need both, one or the other for support OR proof of $10k-$20?

Thanks