• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

dv lottery interview spouse

xzi86

I have a question regarding the dv lottery interview. I've received the 1st NL from Kentucky (dv2011) last year, and the instructions is to give DSP-122 and DS-230 to Kentucky. I'm a mom, with a husband and two sons- one above 21 and one under 21. I submitted my forms, and my son under 21 submitted his. My husband did not submit because he does not want to apply and my son above 21 is ineligible. So in our family of 4 two people applied- me and my younger son. Now the 2nd NL received earlier this year has under beneficiaries my younger son as well as my husband. I'm confused why he is on there even though he didn't send in DSP-230.

Regardless, the 2nd NL says: "This is the official notice for you to pursue your application for a DV-2011 visa. An appointment has been scheduled for the applicant at the stated location. The applicant and all members of the applicant's family must appear at the appointed date and time for your interview.......".

I'm confused about this part. Does it mean all 4 of us have to appear at the interview? Or just me and my son? But since they've listed my husband as a beneficiary (even though he didn't submit DSP-230) does it mean me, my younger son, and my husband has to appear at the interview? I'm quite confused by this. Any help or past experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS
For the DS-230 and DSP-122, I listed all all my family members as the instructions stated. It's just that my husband did NOT send a DSP-230 because he doesn't want to apply. I know that if you forget to list a family member you get disqualified, but that's not the case here.

Last edited by a moderator:
the son over 21 do not need to attend. but ur husband has too. you have to explain to the CO why does ur husband do not want to go.

u have submitted the lottery with ur husband name so he will be in the 2NL. as for ur son over 21 will not be inside automatically.

I have a question regarding the dv lottery interview. I've received the 1st NL from Kentucky (dv2011) last year, and the instructions is to give DSP-122 and DS-230 to Kentucky. I'm a mom, with a husband and two sons- one above 21 and one under 21. I submitted my forms, and my son under 21 submitted his. My husband did not submit because he does not want to apply and my son above 21 is ineligible. So in our family of 4 two people applied- me and my younger son. Now the 2nd NL received earlier this year has under beneficiaries my younger son as well as my husband. I'm confused why he is on there even though he didn't send in DSP-230.

Regardless, the 2nd NL says: "This is the official notice for you to pursue your application for a DV-2011 visa. An appointment has been scheduled for the applicant at the stated location. The applicant and all members of the applicant's family must appear at the appointed date and time for your interview.......".

I'm confused about this part. Does it mean all 4 of us have to appear at the interview? Or just me and my son? But since they've listed my husband as a beneficiary (even though he didn't submit DSP-230) does it mean me, my younger son, and my husband has to appear at the interview? I'm quite confused by this. Any help or past experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS
For the DS-230 and DSP-122, I listed all all my family members as the instructions stated. It's just that my husband did NOT send a DSP-230 because he doesn't want to apply. I know that if you forget to list a family member you get disqualified, but that's not the case here.

If I had to guess your second NL lists all applicants listed on your original DV entry. Did you list both sons on original entry, or just one under 21?

@ simply dusty

Your guess is wrong. 2nl does not list a beneficiary child if he/she is ineligible by age.

@xzi86

Its not your fault that your husband does not want to immigrate. If he lives with you he can accompany you to the interview. Remember you'll need his consent for the eligible child to immigrate with you. You are set to go. All the best.

If I had to guess your second NL lists all applicants listed on your original DV entry. Did you list both sons on original entry, or just one under 21?

My understanding is that her oldest son is not listed in the 2nd NL.

phuture said:
u have submitted the lottery with ur husband name so he will be in the 2NL. as for ur son over 21 will not be inside automatically.

I agree with Phuture, your husband would still need to attend the interview. But i can't tell how that would affect your chances of being approved.

In the 2nd NL, it lists me, my younger eligible son, and my husband. I'm confused because my husband didn't submit a DS-230, and hence have no idea why he is listed as a beneficiary. Are you sure he needs to show up at the interview? He's not going to be applying anyway, what's the point?
And in my original DSP forms for me, I listed all my family members as required. That's where they got my husband's name from. The point is my husband did not submit a DS-230, which is required and hence this confusion of why his name is on the 2nd NL. Or is it do they just automatically list everyone that's eligible regardless?

Last edited by a moderator:
@ simply dusty

Your guess is wrong. 2nl does not list a beneficiary child if he/she is ineligible by age.

I did not say anything about her ineligible child who is older than 21. I just assumed that second NL listed all members who were on original DV entry. Her husband was on original entry, her older son was not. I am pretty sure that everyone who is listed on the invitation letter have to attend the interview, they want to make sure that pictures on original entry and biographic data match, this is the way they check for fraud. Again, I base my answer on common sense and other information available on internet.

In the 2nd NL, it lists me, my younger eligible son, and my husband. I'm confused because my husband didn't submit a DS-230, and hence have no idea why he is listed as a beneficiary. Are you sure he needs to show up at the interview? He's not going to be applying anyway, what's the point?
And in my original DSP forms for me, I listed all my family members as required. That's where they got my husband's name from. The point is my husband did not submit a DS-230, which is required and hence this confusion of why his name is on the 2nd NL. Or is it do they just automatically list everyone that's eligible regardless?

Hmm.. they might have taken his name from your DS-230. But I don't understand why KCC did not email you about missing your husband's DS-230 form in first place. I know some people got an email from KCC stating that their DS-230 were incomplete because they did not indicate US address which is minor thing if compared with entire form being missing... It is odd

Yes they list whoever is eligible regardless.

The forms are for eligible beneficiaries either who will seek a visa to accompany or will apply to follow to join the principal before the end of the dv year.

If he doesn't want to immigrate he should not do medical or pay the fee. He'll just appear physically to satisfy themselves about your edv Information.

Is there a particular reason either logistical or personal why you feel he shouldn't appear at the embassy other than just the Kcc inclusion?

All the best.

Have you called KCC to see what they say about this situation?

I didn't contact the KCC. We're in the states right now and are doing CP abroad, so it would be very difficult for my husband to appear with his job. Anyway I'm just going to go with my son and explain to them the situation. Fact is 1) husband doesn't intend to immigrate and 2) he didn't submit DS-230. So I don't see any problem. Probably just bring his documentation (passport, ID...etc. ) with us.