• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2013 Interview experiences and outcomes!!!

Interview experience, US Embassy, Budapest, Hungary, today.

OK, so here is the deal

Our interview date was for 9 AM, we arrived to the Embassy around 8:15.
You can only enter through security and the guard told us that we can only be allowed in max 15 minutes before our interview time, so we had to take a walk around, and come back at 8:45.
We arrived back on time, we were put through security by twos, first the girls, then the boys. You are going through security like in an airport security, but you have to leave every electronic device behind (phones, car keys etc.).
You are let into the main waiting lobby, which looks like a bank lobby, with electronic numbering system and windows with numbers. You have to take a number from the ticketing device, then wait for your number to appear. We sat down and waited, it was a bit funny, because we were the only ones, only one other visitor to be seen during the whole process.
After 5-10 minutes, our number was shown, and we had to go to a window, where they were asking for all our documents, passports, birth certificates, police papers, bank statements, affidavit of support, and only my grammar school diploma (no college diploma was asked, nor anything from my wife). They collected all the documents, and made copies of some of them (only remember the police papers). They took the fingerprints from the adults. They asked if we have an address to send eventually the green card, so I wrote the address on the paper that was originally sent to the KCC. They asked if we know some basic facts about the DV visa (they can't refund the fee, we have to leave for the US in 6 months etc. everything we knew, except that they told, that if we want, and needed, they can postpone the issuance of visa by some time (wasn't specified), but we didn't ask for this possibility). They explained that we will be called to another window to pay the fee, so we should again sit down and wait. After waiting some, our number was called again, so I went and paid the 1320 dollars. The cashier was quite chatty, she asked if we go as a family, how many times we played the lottery (wow, win for first time), where do we plan to settle (wow, I am from California too), this was all unofficial. Then I got the receipt for the money, but were told that the official receipt will be given by the consular, who will call us next, until then, sit down and wait.
After some time, we were called to another window, where the consular was waiting.
The interview was in English. I spoke, my wife was only asked once, I helped with some interpreting.
She asked us to sign the papers that we sent to KCC (what you are not supposed to sign, when you send), that you are not a terrorist, child trafficker blah, blah, blah. The parents signed for the kids. Then we were asked to take scan our fingertips again, adults only. This was for the criminal records, I believe. Then we were asked to raise our hands and swear that everything we submitted is true.
The interview was the following (not sure of the order, can't remember exactly):
Q: - The person who gave the affidavit of support is your cousin, right?
A: - Yes.
Q: - When did you last meet her?
A: - In 2011, blah, blah, blah.
Q: - Is she a US citizen?
Q: - How did she become a US citizen?
A: - Answered what I remembered.
Q: - Have you been to the US?
A: - No.
Q: - Then, why do you want to immigrate?
A: - Answered why.
Q: - What do you do for a living here?
A: - Blah, blah, blah.
Q: - How much do you earn a year here?
Q: - What company are you working for?
A: - Answer.
Q: - What do you plan to work in the US?
A: - Answer blah, blah, blah.
Q: - Where do you plan to work (geographically)?
Q: - Does your company you are planning to work for has an office in the town you plan to live?
Q: - If no office, how do you plan to achieve this?
Q: - How much money are you planning to bring to the US?
Q: - (To my wife) : Madam, what are you planning to do in the US?
Q: - Do your kids speak English?
Q: - If you get the visa, when do you plan to move to the US?
Q: - Do you have a house in Hungary?
Q: - Do you plan to sell your house?

At last: Congratulations, hereby I approve your application for the visa.
Then she gave us the receipt for the money we paid.
She said to wait for another call to the first window, where we get back our documents, and further instructions.
The whole process didn't take more than 10 minutes.
Then we waited again, now happily.
We were called again to the first window, where we got back our birth certificates and my grammar school diploma, and were explained that we will get back our passports in 1-2 days, they asked for a telephone number to notify. I asked if we have to pick up the passports ourselves in the Embassy, and they answered yes. They also gave a small piece of paper with availability of the Embassy.
Then I couldn't ask more question, because the fire alarm went off!
We had to leave urgently, the guard asked us so.
So we promptly left for the security post, where we got our pieces of hardware back and could leave.
The whole process took only about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

OK, maybe I forgot something, but in a nutshell, that was all.
All in all, everybody was very kind and very helpful, the process was efficient.

Hope you will have the same great experience.
Good luck to you all!

Any questions? Post them.

Interview experience, US Embassy, Budapest, Hungary, today.

OK, so here is the deal

Our interview date was for 9 AM, we arrived to the Embassy around 8:15.
You can only enter through security and the guard told us that we can only be allowed in max 15 minutes before our interview time, so we had to take a walk around, and come back at 8:45.
We arrived back on time, we were put through security by twos, first the girls, then the boys. You are going through security like in an airport security, but you have to leave every electronic device behind (phones, car keys etc.).
You are let into the main waiting lobby, which looks like a bank lobby, with electronic numbering system and windows with numbers. You have to take a number from the ticketing device, then wait for your number to appear. We sat down and waited, it was a bit funny, because we were the only ones, only one other visitor to be seen during the whole process.
After 5-10 minutes, our number was shown, and we had to go to a window, where they were asking for all our documents, passports, birth certificates, police papers, bank statements, affidavit of support, and only my grammar school diploma (no college diploma was asked, nor anything from my wife). They collected all the documents, and made copies of some of them (only remember the police papers). They took the fingerprints from the adults. They asked if we have an address to send eventually the green card, so I wrote the address on the paper that was originally sent to the KCC. They asked if we know some basic facts about the DV visa (they can't refund the fee, we have to leave for the US in 6 months etc. everything we knew, except that they told, that if we want, and needed, they can postpone the issuance of visa by some time (wasn't specified), but we didn't ask for this possibility). They explained that we will be called to another window to pay the fee, so we should again sit down and wait. After waiting some, our number was called again, so I went and paid the 1320 dollars. The cashier was quite chatty, she asked if we go as a family, how many times we played the lottery (wow, win for first time), where do we plan to settle (wow, I am from California too), this was all unofficial. Then I got the receipt for the money, but were told that the official receipt will be given by the consular, who will call us next, until then, sit down and wait.
After some time, we were called to another window, where the consular was waiting.
The interview was in English. I spoke, my wife was only asked once, I helped with some interpreting.
She asked us to sign the papers that we sent to KCC (what you are not supposed to sign, when you send), that you are not a terrorist, child trafficker blah, blah, blah. The parents signed for the kids. Then we were asked to take scan our fingertips again, adults only. This was for the criminal records, I believe. Then we were asked to raise our hands and swear that everything we submitted is true.
The interview was the following (not sure of the order, can't remember exactly):
Q: - The person who gave the affidavit of support is your cousin, right?
Q: - When did you last meet her?
A: - In 2011, blah, blah, blah.
Q: - Is she a US citizen?
Q: - How did she become a US citizen?
A: - Answered what I remembered.
Q: - Have you been to the US?
A: - No.
Q: - Then, why do you want to immigrate?
A: - Answered why.
Q: - What do you do for a living here?
Q: - How much do you earn a year here?
Q: - What company are you working for?
Q: - What do you plan to work in the US?
A: - Answer blah, blah, blah.
Q: - Where do you plan to work (geographically)?
Q: - Does your company you are planning to work for has an office in the town you plan to live?
Q: - If no office, how do you plan to achieve this?
Q: - How much money are you planning to bring to the US?
Q: - (To my wife) : Madam, what are you planning to do in the US?
Q: - Do your kids speak English?
Q: - If you get the visa, when do you plan to move to the US?
Q: - Do you have a house in Hungary?
Q: - Do you plan to sell your house?

At last: Congratulations, hereby I approve your application for the visa.
Then she gave us the receipt for the money we paid.
She said to wait for another call to the first window, where we get back our documents, and further instructions.
The whole process didn't take more than 10 minutes.
Then we waited again, now happily.
We were called again to the first window, where we got back our birth certificates and my grammar school diploma, and were explained that we will get back our passports in 1-2 days, they asked for a telephone number to notify. I asked if we have to pick up the passports ourselves in the Embassy, and they answered yes. They also gave a small piece of paper with availability of the Embassy.
Then I couldn't ask more question, because the fire alarm went off!
We had to leave urgently, the guard asked us so.
So we promptly left for the security post, where we got our pieces of hardware back and could leave.
The whole process took only about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

OK, maybe I forgot something, but in a nutshell, that was all.
All in all, everybody was very kind and very helpful, the process was efficient.

Hope you will have the same great experience.
Good luck to you all!

Any questions? Post them.

Kudos & all the best.:).

Interview a success! I arrived in the morning to submit the documents, went back again in the afternoon for the interview. 15 minutes of interview with a very strict and serious man in his 60s, but he lightened up a bit after a few questions. Very straight forward questions: Why do you want to go to US? What were you doing when you were in US? Why were you there? Did you work there? What's your job now? (My answer is housewife). The consular became a bit cheery after this and we talked like acquantaince. My husband and I were done and seated to wait for information about Visa pickup. While waiting, the second case went in for his interview. He was in there for more than 25 minutes, came out not happy, I guess he failed. My advice is make sure you double check your documents, bring along updated photos because my old ones I sent together with the forms were returned, and they asked for new ones (I took the new photos just in case and alas they wanted it!) All in all, my dear Lord is especially good to me and I applied for this since the 90s. Don't give up!

Interview a success! I arrived in the morning to submit the documents, went back again in the afternoon for the interview. 15 minutes of interview with a very strict and serious man in his 60s, but he lightened up a bit after a few questions. Very straight forward questions: Why do you want to go to US? What were you doing when you were in US? Why were you there? Did you work there? What's your job now? (My answer is housewife). The consular became a bit cheery after this and we talked like acquantaince. My husband and I were done and seated to wait for information about Visa pickup. While waiting, the second case went in for his interview. He was in there for more than 25 minutes, came out not happy, I guess he failed. My advice is make sure you double check your documents, bring along updated photos because my old ones I sent together with the forms were returned, and they asked for new ones (I took the new photos just in case and alas they wanted it!) All in all, my dear Lord is especially good to me and I applied for this since the 90s. Don't give up!

Congrats dear!!!

So, after going to Montreal for my medical on Friday, Sept 28, then to Toronto for that weekend to see friends and also to pick up my divorce certificate at a Toronto court, I returned to Montreal on Tues Oct 2, picked up my medical on Wed Oct 3, and had my interview today.

I showed up at the embassy at 8:45 (had a 9am appt) to go through security, then up to the consulate to pick up a number and sitting down to wait.

They started calling numbers in no order that I could discern, and just around 10am I was called to a counter to hand over my paperwork, then asked to go pay, and bring back the receipt to the same counter. Then I sat down again and just before noon I was called to a counter. The lady looked through the paperwork, asked me a few questions, like what I did for a living, who I worked for, where I was planning on settling, did I have friends in the US, when was I last in the US and did I have any problems at the border. After answering those questions, she then said "congratulations, I am granting your visa" and then told me that my passport would be couriered to me with the visa in it.

And that was it! Now it's time to start my planning!

------------------------------------

May 01, 2012: Status checked & selected
May 04, 2012: 1 Forms emailed to KCC
Aug 17, 2012: 2nd email to check account – interview scheduled
Sep 18, 2012: passport done
Sep 18, 2012: criminal records check received
Sept 28, 2012: Medical done
Oct 01, 2012: divorce cert picked up
Oct 04, 2012: interview in Montreal – SUCCESSFUL!!
???: passport returned
P.O.E: TBA

Good day
you said you email form back to kcc. Did you attach your passport photo or How did you send this to them. Thanks

DV Interview SUCCESS

My wife and myself woke up early that morning for our interview, we were surprisingly calm, seeing that I needed a character report (police report) from the RCMP my original appointment was delayed due to a technical error in their computer system. Round 2, we were even more prepared, 5 month had passed and we had gathered extra information, even got an affidavit of support just in case. We arrived at the car park about 6.45 am for our 7.30 appointment, we decided to leave the car about 7.15 am and lined up and of course we were last. We went through security and entered the embassy. We entered at about 7.45 am and waited patiently, as we sat there waiting I was talking about random things, telling jokes stayed positive. About 9.40 am my name is called to window 3, I quickly got up and walked in with my wife.

CO: Good Morning
Me: Good Morning
CO: Do you have all your documents (passport/education/birth certificate)?
Me: Yes ma'am
CO: Do you have the original and the copies?
ME: Yes ma'am I have a copy each
CO: Can I see your passports, both yours and your wife's?
ME: Sure (gave the passport and copies)
CO: Marriage certificate
CO: Birth Certificates
CO: Police reports
ME: Gave original and copy
CO: Education achievements
ME: Gave all
CO: Where are your transcripts from high school?
Me: I don't have them because I understood that you require either secondary or post secondary education which I did both and brought my college transcripts
CO: I'd have to verify with the officer who is issuing the visa to see if that is acceptable
ME: That's fine thanks
CO: Medicals
ME: Medicals and X-Rays?
CO: Just the medical sir, the x-rays are to be kept in your luggage when you travel to the US in case its needed, they expire after 1 year then you can throw them out
ME: Cool, good to know

At this point I was 98% certain we had the visas with that "when you travel to the US" comment, we could barely contain ourselves

CO: Ok sir here is your DS 230 form I need you to sign here please and your wife.
ME: yes ma'am (we both signed)
CO: here's the fun part (she laughed) time to go pay
ME: I laughed as well, I never felt so happy to pay something $330 USD x 2

We went to the cashier and the cashier couldn't pronounce my wife's first name, so I explained to her and we were laughing for a while

Cashier: Here you are sir and thank you

I returned to the window with my receipt

CO: Ok guys I need your finger prints
Me: Sure (I made sure I had no oils or creams on my hands as I read in the forum)
CO: Thank you sir
CO: I'm giving your documents to the officer and he will return the originals and keep the copies ok?
ME: that's fine ma'am
CO: Please have a seat outside and wait until you hear your name At this point we were so excited, it seemed so calm comfortable just felt right. As we waited we saw many people exiting without a smile, I also noticed many people hadn't paid the fee. About 1 hr after we were called in, heart is pumping we were excited and scared at the same time. We prepared the documents so carefully that we knew every single page that was there, I even had old boarding passes from when I travelled to Miami and tickets.

CO: Good Morning Sir (His voice sounded like the automated systems on the telephone, so cool!)
ME: Good Morning Sir
CO: Can you please raise your right hand to swear
ME: I swear.........
CO: Great
CO: How old are you
ME: 25
CO: Did you fill out the Notice of Duty form?
ME: No sir I have never heard of this, what is it if you don't mind me asking?
CO: Sure, it is a form in which a male is the age of 18 - 25 he needs to sign 30 days within entering the US in case of emergency to enter the military service.
ME: Ok! sure I'd sign it
CO: Don't worry I signed it too (he chuckled behind the glass)
CO: Great!
CO: What happened with your previous passport
ME: Explained that it was stolen, I reported it to the police US Embassy
CO: Ok that's perfect
CO: (Signed a paper) I'd need to clear up these issues with the previous passport, I'd speak to some folks and straighten it out for you
ME: Do you need any additional information or proof?
CO: "No sir I believe you" Heart skipped 10 beats there I felt to hug him
CO: I need your prints one more time please
ME: I printed first then my wife
CO: Looking at the passports, I have an expired one and a current one, same as my wife

I thought he issued me the AP letter that was signed

CO: Here you are sir he put the passports down and handed me the form
ME: Reading form ....... Applicant Names and YOUR VISA HAS BEEN APPROVED

I didn't know how to feel

CO: Congratulations guys, I'd be mailing these passports to you, usually it's 3 days but I need to sort the previous passport issue then you'd get them in about week or so (arrived 24 days later)
ME: THANK YOU SO MUCH
CO: Have a good day to you both

This is long but I Thought that this forum deserved a great experience because I got every single bit of info from here and there is not much Caribbean people that posted recent info, so I encourage people to post and help others. I was clear to the CO, honest and straight to the point. We had a wonderful experience at the POS Embassy in Trinidad & Tobago, thanks to each and everyone for your contributions. Miami here we come BABY! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

Why do they need transcripts though? The requirement is for a diploma, not specific grades or transcripts :confused:

Congratulations!

Why do they need transcripts though? The requirement is for a diploma, not specific grades or transcripts :confused:

I agree, I was also confused because it clearly says the requirements in the instructions however the CO didn't request it.

Interview Experience from Athens !!!

Here we are! After the postpone of inerview, asked from me, the great day came for as.
We were at the embassy gates at 8.30 . We went in after the seciurity chek. There were not many people waiting and were 5 cases of immigrant visas. They had some facilities inside, automatic venditor, photograph, resting room. We had to wait about 1 hour, before we were called to gave the documents.

A greek lady took and checked our papers. I had two mistakes in my forms, but without saing nothng to me she fullfilled a new form. She asked me about the school, the days we went, how many classes we had in a day, how minutes longs a class, the rasion i didnt have the diploma. It was because that year my school didn't issue diplomas at all, but just certificates. ( I had, insded of my high school diploma, a certificate from the school that i had been graduetid).

After that I payied,

We went to our seats waiting.

We were called for finger prints after a half of hour

And after waiting again for about 2 hours me my, wife and my 5 year old boy, were called in for the interview. The greek lady was inside to help. The CO was like a frozen man with any emotion in his face and remane so, till the end.

After we sworn and signed, asked me the same questions about the school, the relation with the person we are going, if we are leaving together.

They did not ask for support (I had two), either for my actual financial situation (I had bank statmants ). He said to the greek lady - it seems ok for me.

They hold our passaports and we were told that we will have a phone call when everything will be ready in about 10 days. They didnt gave us any note or something else.

Thats all abuot us We are Hoping that every thing will be OK

Something else. there was waiting for interview a cuple with two children, the husband (the winner) did not have the high school. He said me that the greek lady told him, that surely he will be denaied, and ask him to pay only for himself instide of all family, if he wanted anway to be interviewed. I don't know what hapend, becauce we left before.

I thing this is the first inerview experience from Greece, I hope not the last one.

Interview Experience from Athens !!!

Here we are! After the postpone of inerview, asked from me, the great day came for as.
We were at the embassy gates at 8.30 . We went in after the seciurity chek. There were not many people waiting and were 5 cases of immigrant visas. They had some facilities inside, automatic venditor, photograph, resting room. We had to wait about 1 hour, before we were called to gave the documents.

A greek lady took and checked our papers. I had two mistakes in my forms, but without saing nothng to me she fullfilled a new form. She asked me about the school, the days we went, how many classes we had in a day, how minutes longs a class, the rasion i didnt have the diploma. It was because that year my school didn't issue diplomas at all, but just certificates. ( I had, insded of my high school diploma, a certificate from the school that i had been graduetid).

After that I payied,

We went to our seats waiting.

We were called for finger prints after a half of hour

And after waiting again for about 2 hours me my, wife and my 5 year old boy, were called in for the interview. The greek lady was inside to help. The CO was like a frozen man with any emotion in his face and remane so, till the end.

After we sworn and signed, asked me the same questions about the school, the relation with the person we are going, if we are leaving together.

They did not ask for support (I had two), either for my actual financial situation (I had bank statmants ). He said to the greek lady - it seems ok for me.

They hold our passaports and we were told that we will have a phone call when everything will be ready in about 10 days. They didnt gave us any note or something else.

Thats all abuot us We are Hoping that every thing will be OK

Something else. there was waiting for interview a cuple with two children, the husband (the winner) did not have the high school. He said me that the greek lady told him, that surely he will be denaied, and ask him to pay only for himself instide of all family, if he wanted anway to be interviewed. I don't know what hapend, becauce we left before.

I thing this is the first inerview experience from Greece, I hope not the last one.

Congratulations!
why didn't CO give you a specific day for the collection of visa??

Congrats and we wish you a blessed happy journey to the USA. Hopefully we're also joining you any time from now

Congratulations!
why didn't CO give you a specific day for the collection of visa??

I dont know maybe they want to check my school certificate, or just this is the way they act, as I said the co was like a stone without any emotion shown lets wait and see.

My dv lottery interview experience...

I had my interview in last week, it was very short.

CO; raise your right hand ... do you swear to tell the truth n ..nothing but the truth?
ME; did...
CO; asked me to sign the DS230 form
ME; did...
CO; who is sponsor?
ME; one of my friend.
CO; what are you doing?
ME; nothing, just I had my convocation 2nd of may.
CO; which university?
ME; answered
CO; what degree
ME; B.Sc
CO; do u wish to stay here (he mean sponsor place)
ME; yeah sure sir
CO; took a yellow color paper then wrote the name with visa collection day. Then gave me.
ME; thanks sir. Interview is over??
CO; yeah you can leave.
ME; thanks again.

I had my interview in last week, it was very short.

CO; raise your right hand ... do you swear to tell the truth n ..nothing but the truth?
ME; did...
CO; asked me to sign the DS230 form
ME; did...
CO; who is sponsor?
ME; one of my friend.
CO; what are you doing?
ME; nothing, just I had my convocation 2nd of may.
CO; which university?
ME; answered
CO; what degree
ME; B.Sc
CO; do u wish to stay here (he mean sponsor place)
ME; yeah sure sir
CO; took a yellow color paper then wrote the name with visa collection day. Then gave me.
ME; thanks sir. Interview is over??
CO; yeah you can leave.
ME; thanks again.
Congrats dear, my best wishes for your life in US.

Congrats dear, my best wishes for your life in US.

thanks dear...
but i have little confused things. there is a statement in the given paper as
"This is to confirm that your Immigrant Visa case has been tentatively approved"
everyone was received like this paper after the interview??

thanks dear...
but i have little confused things. there is a statement in the given paper as
"This is to confirm that your Immigrant Visa case has been tentatively approved"
everyone was received like this paper after the interview??
I don't have experience about that, the only paper that I received was the AP sheet. Wait for more replies from other friends!!!!!!

I don't have experience about that, the only paper that I received was the AP sheet. Wait for more replies from other friends!!!!!!

Today I picked up my VISA,
I will post my visa journey experience sooon
Thanks All, Best of Luck...