• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

dv-2012...son living in another country!

Lorka

Registered Users (C)
My aunt and her two children are selected for further processing for the dv-lottery 2012.Last year when she applied, her son was 20 years old (he is 21 now) and I think he is eligible to go to US with his mother but at the moment he is living in another country, in western Europe and the lawyer there has promised him that he will have his permanent papers pretty soon. Meanwhile my aunt has to fill out form ds-230 for both of her children. Her son doesn't want to risk and go to his home country because he says what if they don't get the visa! My question is: Should my aunt fill out form ds-230 for her son if he doesn't want to go or no? When she goes to the interview at the embassy is it going to be a problem that her son is not going to be there because when she applied for dv-lottery she entered her son's name also? Does she need to show any proof to the embassy that her son is not living in his home country? Can somebody help me please with these questions? It's been 9 days since my aunt has received the notice and she needs to fill out the forms as quickly as possible. Thank you!

hello Lorka,
i suggust that you copy and paste your question in the (2011 AOS only) there are some experianced people there who are fishing their process of the last 2011 DV lottery. i hope someone will help you their.
good luck,,,

at the moment he is living in another country, in western Europe
In what country does he live? What does he do there?
Where does his mom live?
What is his exact age?
What is his rank number?

He lives in England and at the moment he is 21 years old. He went with regular papers and he didn't go back to his country!
His mother's case number is:2012EU0000XXXX

Thank you for your response!

What does he do there?
Where does his mom live?
What is his exact age including months?
What is his rank number rounded to 1000?

dv-2012...son living in another country..need help please! ...

If he hit 21 after eDV he MAY NOT be eligible by now to get a DV.
chk the following link, do the calculation carefully and see whether he is still qualified.
If he is, then it is most likely that CO need the family together to intvw. You may have to ask the embassy for details.
If he is 'aged out', then he do not need to fill DS230 nor go for intvw. BUT Mom need to give all kids details as is asked in her DS 230 forms etc.

Best!

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...th-is-NOT-that-simple!!&p=2208198#post2208198

PS:
Oh. it is DV 12 and he is alreday 21?

if then, he will most likely NOT GET DV from Moms case if Mom has a high CN getting current late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answer!

He turned 21 in June of 2012 and I believe he gets DV from Moms case. If you read "Instructions for Selectees" it says: Family members refer only to your spouse and unmarried children who had not reached age 21 before you entered the lottery.
My question is: is there going to be a problem if he is not going to be there for the interview and does his mother need to show any proof to the embassy that her son is not in the country? In her dv-230 she of course is going to put all her children.... I think she doesn't need to fill out a separate dv-230 form for her son.

P.S Why she is already late? In the intstruction they don't say when they should mail their documents!

He turned 21 in June of 2012 and I believe he gets DV from Moms case. If you read "Instructions for Selectees" it says: Family members refer only to your spouse and unmarried children who had not reached age 21 before you entered the lottery.
My question is: is there going to be a problem if he is not going to be there for the interview and does his mother need to show any proof to the embassy that her son is not in the country? In her dv-230 she of course is going to put all her children.... I think she doesn't need to fill out a separate dv-230 form for her son.

P.S Why she is already late? In the intstruction they don't say when they should mail their documents!

I also believe that she does not need to fill out DV-230 form for her son. she will need to put his name on her form where it asks for names of ALL children..and then further down it asks for the names of individuals that will go to US with her or will follow her. As long as she does not include her son's name in those fields, she should be fine. Consulate officer will probably ask why he is not coming, so providing a proof that he lives in UK might be a good idea. Just my two cents.

What governs his chances are not those "instructions" but the "law" aimed at 21+ kids as explained in the link I gave before.
Is the Mom's winner notification letter dated 7/15/2011?
If then his "grace period" would be 7/15/11 Minus 10/5/2010 = 283 days.

That means Mom's CN MUST need to become current BEFORE 6/21/2011 PLUS 283 days. Simple as that!

If her CN is below EU 10k, then he will have a good chance of meeting that reqmt.

In any case she will have to send a DS 230 for him now. And since he is 21+ now, he will have to sign it, not Mom.
Embassy will most likely ask the whole family to come for the intvw together.

Hope this helps.

Best!

PS: To make sure I understood things correct, is that he DOES or he DOES NOT want to get the DV from Mom's case and go to USA?

If he wants a DV, then it is good he send his DS 230 now than late. He sure can wait to send it in to KCC, but then his name checks, security checks will become late. At the intvw. date embassy will most probably ask for whole family. If Mom is not sure of her chances, best thing is to talk with embassy and ask to intvw Mom first (pay fees only for her) and see whether her case is ok. Then kids are intvw.ed later. Some embassies allow for that, but you need to talk to them and see.

If he does not want the DV to go to US, then no need to send his DS 230, then Mom just explain at her intvw. that he is not going, give some evidence he is not in the country, that's all.

btw, ALL kids (who wants a DV) in the case MUST have separate DS 230 in their name. Just that if below 21, Mom sign them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Firi and NuvF!

Firi I have another question: At DS-230, step 31b it says "Persons who will follow you to the US at a later date". What does that mean?! So she should not put her son's name in this field if he is not going with her?