• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 winners from SRILANKA Report here

hi can anyone of you tell me about the sponsor letter. Will the embassy accept the sponsor letter without the signature or not.

Are you from Sri lanka,
Sponsor letter should be with the residence address and telephone no of the sponsor. I don't think a letter without a signature would be acceptable.
However It is necessary to mention that my sponsor has been verified by the DOS

Best

yes i am from Wattala. And my sponsor is a citizen of USA. If the sponsor mail the letter with priority mail from there with the simple description and including the signature would that be enough.

Thanks

Sponser letter and Petitioner

Are you from Sri lanka,
Sponsor letter should be with the residence address and telephone no of the sponsor. I don't think a letter without a signature would be acceptable.

Best

Hi friend,
I am a 2012 DV winner, I have some Questions to be solved........

#) I have some doubts about the sponsor letter. I am going to request the sponsor letter from one of my friends who already sponsored his wife recently and now both are living in USA. So What should be included in the sponsor letter for the interview. Is that included only his ID info / simple discription with signature?. which kind of discription should be included in there ?

#) What is the meaning of petitioner ?

#) When filling the educational institution. I attened five nos of school from grade one to GCE/O/L . and for GCE/A/L from another school. should I need to fill all these schools + university for Q-33 (DS-230).

Any body help me to complete my application please.

Sponser letter and Petitioner

Are you from Sri lanka,

Best

Hi friend,

#) I have some doubts about the sponsor letter. I am going to request the sponsor letter from one of my friends who already sponsored his wife recently and now both are living in USA. So What should be included in the sponsor letter for the interview. Is that included only his ID info / simple discription with signature?. which kind of discription should be included in there ?

#) When filling the educational institution. I attened five nos of school from grade one to GCE/O/L . and for GCE/A/L from another school. should I need to fill all these schools + university for Q-33 (DS-230).

dv-2011 winners from Srilanka

Pal, from whom or where did you get this 'clarification'?

According to past interview history ... Because .. Someone has OL Math in 2nd time. however US embassy accepted their results..

That's all

yes i am from Wattala. And my sponsor is a citizen of USA. If the sponsor mail the letter with priority mail from there with the simple description and including the signature would that be enough.

Thanks

Did you read the Interview chack list from Colombo post
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/sri-lanka/5/pdfs/dv_check_list.pdf

Sponsor letter should be ready by the time of interview and it simply says that he wishes to get the responsibility of your living and accommodation until you settle in USA. The mail address and land phone number need to be included in it.

Read the previous posts

Hi! Nalin
With my experience us embassy will not call the sponsor(they didn't call mine) US Embassy just need an address and telephone number of a person in usa, that will be your contact address once you enter usa. USCIS office will send your Original Green Card+SSN and other documents to this address. That is why they specifically mentioned address and telephone should be correct.
Note- If we are changing the point of entry(POE),we could change our address and telephone number upon arriving in usa-at immigration office.
We were thinking that us government need to know that we have some body in usa to support us at the initial stage, some thought us embassy need to know how much of money we have in our savings. Actually to see us government does not look for those so strictly.
Infact we have won the dvlottery,its a us government program and they will grant the visa without any hesitation, only thing is they need the original documents what is required at the visa interview to verify.
I don't know about the embassies in other countries, how they will treat the dv lottery winners. There could be some differences in certain countries depends.
But our colombo us embassy is so good, they don't put any one in trouble, long as our case is approved from us visa center(KCC) and all the documents are in place.

Good luck
Any US citizen or LPR can sponsor his/her relative, migrating to US provided that sponsor submit an Affidavit of support to the US government, which is a legal binding. This affidavit confirms that the new commer is not being 'public charge' in the USA. If so, the sponsor is liable for that public charge. This legal binding is valid until the new commer becomes a US citizen. Sponsor should be above the 125% of poverty level to be entitled to submit an affidavit of support.

However sponsoring a DV lottrey winner is different case where US embassy in Colombo asks a letter from anybody who is legaly live in US at present. This doesn't necessarily mean that Embassy can not ask the affidavit of support from a dv selectee, that is their discretion. At the same time I beleve that sponsor letter from US citizen is stronger than LPR and LPR is better than someone with student or temporary visa.

Problem is when we ask a sponsor letter from someone in US they think it is the affidavit of support and get frightened unless we explain this disparity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi friend,

01. Sponsoring the wife and DV winner is different. Your friend can sponsor you.
02. Petitioner is the one who apply visa for you. So in this case petitioner is yourself. Sponsor get the responsibility of your first few months in USA
03. It's OK until you provide true informations

Thanks Nalin,

I appreciate your valuable reply. Nw I can complete my application and have to sent to KCC on tomorrow

@SRAA

Leave out 'petitioner' stuff in DS 230, just say N/A. Technically you are not the petitioner, you are the applicant (both for winner and spouse).
Those petitioner details are meant for family or job based GC apps., not for DV apps.

@Nalin

How did the intvw for your friend go? the one with O/L in 2 sittings.
How long did it take for you to get the police report from PHQ?
And did the embassy stamp your DV s in a week after intvw?

Best!

@SRAA

Leave out 'petitioner' stuff in DS 230, just say N/A. Technically you are not the petitioner, you are the applicant (both for winner and spouse).
Those petitioner details are meant for family or job based GC apps., not for DV apps.

@Nalin

How did the intvw for your friend go? the one with O/L in 2 sittings.
How long did it take for you to get the police report from PHQ?
And did the embassy stamp your DV s in a week after intvw?

Best!

1. Yes he got visa. so that means Colombo post accepts OL results in more than one sittings
2. Police HQ said it will be ready in one month time. Anyway I received it by mail in 6 weeks time

3. Well I was asked to come in a week to collect the PPT with visa. Although I went in time (2 pm) I received them at 4.15. I noticed that my visa and other documents had been prepared at about 3 pm on the same day. Most interestingly, I, later on learnt that my sponsor in Washington DC had been inquired of my self on the same day by DOS.

Hi everybody if a person has no industrial experience but he has good education qualification will the embassy accept it? please reply

Any one help me, I have won dv2012 and case number is AS00031xxx

1) will it be calling for interview ?
2) I have doubt about original birth certificates, I do not have original one, i have second original one which obtain from the Register of birth, it is Photocopied and certified by Register as a original, will the embussy accept that? please let me know?

Hi everybody if a person has no industrial experience but he has good education qualification will the embassy accept it? please reply

http://srilanka.usembassy.gov/visas/diversity-visa-lottery-program.html

Diversity Visa Qualification Requirements
• To enter the DV-2012 program, you must be a native of one of the qualifying countries . Sri Lanka and the Maldives are qualifying countries.
• You must have either a high school education or its equivalent, defined as successful completion of a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education (successful completion of 6 GCE O-level subjects, including math and Tamil or Sinhala), OR have two years of qualifying work experience. See whether your occupation qualifies http://online.onetcenter.org/find/
• You must meet all immigrant visa eligibility requirements under U.S. law.

If you do not meet these requirements, you should not submit an entry to the DV-2012 program.

2) I have doubt about original birth certificates, I do not have original one, i have second original one which obtain from the Register of birth, it is Photocopied and certified by Register as a original, will the embussy accept that? please let me know?

1) I'm sure you will be called for the interview
2) I noticed that colombo post changed the procedure / requirements with short notice. However certified BC copies are accepted at the moment

dv-2011 winners from Srilanka

Definitely you will be called for an interview .however . you want to wait until next year june . Ok

Best of luck

Case No : 2011AS00033XXX (CITIZEN OF SRILANKA)
Enter the lottery : 2009 Oct
1st NL Received : 30/05/2010
Forms back to KCC : 04/07/2010
KCC received : 28/07/2010
2nd NL Received : 10/06/2011
Police clearance : done . (13/06/2011)
Medical : done (06/07/2011)
Interview Date : 7th July 2011 at US embassy,colombo
Interview successful: successful (My family get approval for the visa but embassy has rejected my visa)
Visa pickup : 28/07/2011
POE : 16/10/2011 Newark,NJ
GC Received : waiting
SSN Received : waiting

Hello , i have a question i got the sponsor letter from USA stating my name in short. But my passport carries the full name. Will it be a problem. please advice me thanks.