• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2007 AOS - Questions

Ahbab

Hi all,

I am a DV 2007 winner (2007EU00008xxx), new to this forum and looking for answers to some questions that I have after reviewing this forum and USCIS web pages.
I got the notification letter from KCC of my DV lottery win on April 25.
After collecting the necessary personal documents in the native country I returned to the US and decided to file for AOS.
On July 19 I mailed DSP-122 to KCC.
On September 15 I did my medical exam at the designated local clinic for the I-693 form requirement.
My next step is to mail the $375 DV fee to the Department of State.

I apologize for the length of my questions but would really appreciate if someone can help me with them as I believe they also may concern other participants on this forum:

1. I did not receive a letter from KCC notifying receival of my DSP-122. Is it because I did not send DS-230 or because I did not send the $375 payment to Pittsburgh (Department of State)?

2. When paying the $375 DV processing fee to Pittsburgh (Department of State) could you write a personal check (from your own checking account in the US bank) or must it be cashier's check or money order? I found contradicting information about this on the Internet.

3. For paying fees for I-485 package, could you just write personal checks and include them in the envelope to be mailed to Chicago lockbox?

4. When filling I-765 form, the first question is "I am applying for:" and I am not sure whether "Permission to accept employment" or "Renewal of my permission to accept employment" is better as I am currently employed under H1B visa which is valid until September 2008.

5. After reading posts at this forum, all H1B holders are encouraged to apply for I-765 and I-131. Does it mean that when you submit I-485 application your H1B visa status does not guarantee you safe return or employment in the US? Or is it just good to file I-765 and I-131 in case I-485 application takes too long, even beyond the expiration of your H1B visa status?

6. On the recent medical exam, I got the "Vaccine Administration Record" where it is indicated that I need to have the follow-up vaccines for DT in October and then one last in March. I was told to bring this "Vaccine Administration Record" to the INS interview. What if interview is scheduled before March and my third vaccine is not completed? Could that jeopardize my application in any way? Also, could I have the follow-up vaccine shots with some other physician, not the one I went to for the first time that was designated by INS?

7. I initially came to the US under F1 visa (student visa supported by I-20 documents). Since I am currently under H1B visa status, do I still have to provide copies of my school transcripts in the I-485 application package (and originals for the live interview)?

8. How about school diplomas? If you have Master's degree, do you have to provide a copy (original) of your Bachelor's or High School diploma?

9. When you fill in all the forms (I-485, I-131, I-765) do you have to write your DV number (i.e. 2007EU00008xxx) in the right upper corner of each page of each application form you send?

10. When I went to the local USCIS office they told me to fill in and mail three forms (I-485, I-131, I-765) to Chicago lockbox when my number becomes current. Here on the forum, lot of people write about G-325, the biographical sheet - is it really necessary, or just a good thing to add to the I-485 package?

11. When doing AOS, does a letter of employment (plus any pay-check stubs) waive the affidavit of support requirement?

12. Finally, what are your suggestions about photographs? Should these be the regular US passport photographs that any local photographic studio can make, or should I be looking for photo studios specialized for portrait photos under INS requirements.

I am thankful to everyone who can help with any of these questions
:)

1. I did not receive a letter from KCC notifying receival of my DSP-122. Is it because I did not send DS-230 or because I did not send the $375 payment to Pittsburgh (Department of State)?
We got the confirmation of receival from KCC for my brother-in-law: we sent back only DSP-122, and the payment wasn't made yet. However, I don't think it's that of a big deal. Call KCC, and make sure they got your DSP-122.
2. When paying the $375 DV processing fee to Pittsburgh (Department of State) could you write a personal check (from your own checking account in the US bank) or must it be cashier's check or money order? I found contradicting information about this on the Internet.
According to the instructions of the 1st package, it should be cashier's check or money order (made payable to U.S. Department of State).
3. For paying fees for I-485 package, could you just write personal checks and include them in the envelope to be mailed to Chicago lockbox?
Yes. Make sure to include your fingerprint fee for $70.00 with I-485 fee, total of $395.00.
4. When filling I-765 form, the first question is "I am applying for:" and I am not sure whether "Permission to accept employment" or "Renewal of my permission to accept employment" is better as I am currently employed under H1B visa which is valid until September 2008.
Well, then why are you filing I-765? I think it is better to keep your H1B status until you get your green card, just in case.
5. After reading posts at this forum, all H1B holders are encouraged to apply for I-765 and I-131. Does it mean that when you submit I-485 application your H1B visa status does not guarantee you safe return or employment in the US? Or is it just good to file I-765 and I-131 in case I-485 application takes too long, even beyond the expiration of your H1B visa status?
I am not sure. But, in your case your visa expires when DV-2008 ends, so you don't have to worry about it.
6. On the recent medical exam, I got the "Vaccine Administration Record" where it is indicated that I need to have the follow-up vaccines for DT in October and then one last in March. I was told to bring this "Vaccine Administration Record" to the INS interview. What if interview is scheduled before March and my third vaccine is not completed? Could that jeopardize my application in any way? Also, could I have the follow-up vaccine shots with some other physician, not the one I went to for the first time that was designated by INS?
You mean the doctor didn't give you the sealed envelope yet? You need to complete your medical exam before your interview, otherwise they will most likely postpone the approval of your case until they get the I-693. About the follow-up shots you should probably consult a doctor, but he/she must be a designated civil surgeon.
7. I initially came to the US under F1 visa (student visa supported by I-20 documents). Since I am currently under H1B visa status, do I still have to provide copies of my school transcripts in the I-485 application package (and originals for the live interview)?
I would think so, but I am not sure.
8. How about school diplomas? If you have Master's degree, do you have to provide a copy (original) of your Bachelor's or High School diploma?
You need to send copies with translations for all your diplomas. This might help you: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=223312.
9. When you fill in all the forms (I-485, I-131, I-765) do you have to write your DV number (i.e. 2007EU00008xxx) in the right upper corner of each page of each application form you send?
Yes.
10. When I went to the local USCIS office they told me to fill in and mail three forms (I-485, I-131, I-765) to Chicago lockbox when my number becomes current. Here on the forum, lot of people write about G-325, the biographical sheet - is it really necessary, or just a good thing to add to the I-485 package?
It's G-325A, and it goes with I-485 (read the instructions on I-485).
11. When doing AOS, does a letter of employment (plus any pay-check stubs) waive the affidavit of support requirement?
Yes, as long as your income equals 100% of poverty level.
12. Finally, what are your suggestions about photographs? Should these be the regular US passport photographs that any local photographic studio can make, or should I be looking for photo studios specialized for portrait photos under INS requirements.
INS requires standard passport size photos. Any photo studio can do it.

Good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DV fees

Hi all,

I am a winner of the DV2007 lottery 2007AF1XXXX. I am planning to apply for AOS and have sent my first package to KCC.

I would really appreciate somebody helping me put with questions i have:

1. Do i need to send the $375 DV fee now or at the time of filing for my AOS?I need to apply for my spouse as well who is a dependent and was wondering if it is an extra $375?

2. Where do i need to send my DV fee?

3. I heard a bout the medical exam and was wondering if i have to wait for anothe rpackage from KCC before undergoing the test.

I have ben going through the forum and would be very grateful if my questions could be answered to reduce my anxiety.

Thank you in advance!

tiny16 said:
Hi all,

I am a winner of the DV2007 lottery 2007AF1XXXX. I am planning to apply for AOS and have sent my first package to KCC.

I would really appreciate somebody helping me put with questions i have:

1. Do i need to send the $375 DV fee now or at the time of filing for my AOS?I need to apply for my spouse as well who is a dependent and was wondering if it is an extra $375?

2. Where do i need to send my DV fee?

3. I heard a bout the medical exam and was wondering if i have to wait for anothe rpackage from KCC before undergoing the test.

I have ben going through the forum and would be very grateful if my questions could be answered to reduce my anxiety.

Thank you in advance!

1. Anytime BEFORE filing for AOS, make a copy of receipt to include in your AOS package.

2. At the address indicated in your NL, use the attached slip.

3. No, KCC will not send you anything. Go to the USCIS website and locate your nearest doctor USCIS approved.

4. Explore this forum and you'll find that most questions have already been answered.

GOOD LUCK

Barbara

Thanks

Hi Barbara,

Thank you very much for the replies. I will visit the USCIS website and collect details.

Should H1B winners apply for AOS?

1. I'm a DV-2007 winner too. I'm currently employed in the USA under an H1B visa: Am I eligable for adjustment of status?

2. Whether or not I'm eligible for AOS, since I'm resident in the USA, where will I be interviewed -- in the USA or sent back to my native country to be interviewed?

Thanks in advance for any advice you give me ...

1. Your H1B gives you dual intent status. If you believe you case number is low pls check and reference VISA bulletins from previous years

2.If you have a valid H1B you are eligible for AOS. You will be interviewed at your local USCIS I understand.

Note as long as you have not violated any immigration rule no one will send you home. Read more from this forum, I have and it has been helpful.

slapphappe said:
1. I'm a DV-2007 winner too. I'm currently employed in the USA under an H1B visa: Am I eligable for adjustment of status?

2. Whether or not I'm eligible for AOS, since I'm resident in the USA, where will I be interviewed -- in the USA or sent back to my native country to be interviewed?

Thanks in advance for any advice you give me ...

maraba said:
1. Your H1B gives you dual intent status. If you believe you case number is low pls check and reference VISA bulletins from previous years

2.If you have a valid H1B you are eligible for AOS. You will be interviewed at your local USCIS I understand.

Note as long as you have not violated any immigration rule no one will send you home. Read more from this forum, I have and it has been helpful.

Thanks for you reply. My number is the in the 30xxx range for Africa -- fairly high, so I'm thinking it too risky to do AOS before 9/30/2007.

If I'm going to do a consular interview can I expect to be interviewed in the USA?

You will have your interview at your native country if you go the consular processing route. I think its best and more assuring to go the CP route. Others in the forum with relevant experience may offer better insight.

slapphappe said:
Thanks for you reply. My number is the in the 30xxx range for Africa -- fairly high, so I'm thinking it too risky to do AOS before 9/30/2007.

If I'm going to do a consular interview can I expect to be interviewed in the USA?