during stamping, SSN renewal?

Can somebody shed light on SSN renewal? My Social security card doesn\'t say - u can only work with INS authorization. Do I still need to renew the card and get a new one?

Can somebody explain the process
-bp

You only need the number, right? My SSN card has been lost for years

and I do not bother to re-apply a card. A number is enough. Nobdy has bothered me so far :)

I do not understand why SSN card should be re-newed.

Sher, one more question

Thanks for clarifying. What documents do you need to take to Social security office? Also, when INS sends courtesy copy of approval does it talk about Social security update.

Thanks.

-bp

My new SSN card is different from my spouse SSN card- Please help.

Hi Friends,

After PP stamping. We (Me and my wife) went to local SSA office to apply SSN (first time for my wife and also to update my new status in SSA database). The asked for my SSN card and I gave it o them. After a week time we received SSN card for both of us. My new card doesn’t say “Valid for work only with INS authorization’. But my wife’s card says. Does it mean my wife’s new status is not updated with SSA database? Should we go again to local SSA office to get her status updated? OR it doesn’t matter.

Thanks in advance.

i had the same situation like BEPOS, I went to renew my SSN...

they told me that i dont need to do anything.She actually checked the database and told this. I dont know if anything to be done now.

No new SS numbers, it has just one goal to change you status in SS database. After PP I had look at

No new SS numbers, it has just one goal to change you status in SS database.
After PP I had look at SS room in Newark INS building, it was full of folks, and we decided to go to the local SS office were we found no people at all and new cards were ordered during 10 minutes or so, guys go to the local SS office.

Sher ...

I think he meant his wife\'s card had "Valid for work only with INS Authorisation" on it and his did not ...

It is not really a renewal. You just let the SS administration know that you now have the status of permanent resident. I believe you need to have PR status to collect benefits when you retire. The ss card that you get on H-1 indicates "Valid for employment with INS authorization". Once you change the status with the SSA, they send you a new card with the message removed.

A word of advice to those who try to change their status at the broad street INS building in Newark where you do the PP stamping: The waiting time is ridiculously long. My PP stamping took only one hour and 10 minutes. But at the SS office they made me wait for 3 hours. So go to your local SS office in your town.