Duplicate US passport for those who travel alot

First question on this link covers this:

http://stockholm.usembassy.gov/consulate/acsfaq_passport.html

It also mentions airlines can refuse entry on a US flight to a US citizen who does not hold a valid US passport. I guess I committed a federal offense by using my Canadian passport during airline checkin last time I left the US to visit Canada (or at least I think I did). I doubt airlines would enforce this rule unless you claimed to be a US citizen and tried using your foreign passport during check-in.

I guess I committed a federal offense by using my Canadian passport during airline checkin last time I left the US to visit Canada (or at least I think I did). I doubt airlines would enforce this rule unless you claimed to be a US citizen and tried using your foreign passport during check-in.
Typically, a dual-national may need to show both passports when checking in for a flight from the US. The airline will need to see the US passport to know that the person is a US citizen and therefore will not have an I94 or I94W stub to be collected or green card to be scanned. They may also need to see the foreign passport if it allows free entry to the destination country whereas a US-only citizen would require a visa.

Incidentally, a few months ago I got stuck behind a Swedish (I think)/US woman going through immigration with a very young child. She had both Swedish and US passports for herself, but only a Swedish passport and US birth certificate for the child. The IO was not happy and didn't really seem to know what to do. She was ultimately sent to the secondary inspection area. I wonder if she was fined.

So, what exactly should I answer to the passport control guy if he says "US does not recognize the dual citizenship!"? Just stay silent? The excellent argument about the difference between "recognize" and "allow" is a bot too theoretical for the passport control situation. No?

As for

Specifically, when you are in the US, the US government will not entertain any other country claiming that you are their citizen. .

The same claim would apply to other countries. Therefore, if I go to my birth country and get in trouble, my US citizenship will not make much difference and I can not be protected by the US Embassy since I entered the country with a different passport. This is tough!

So, what exactly should I answer to the passport control guy if he says "US does not recognize the dual citizenship!"? Just stay silent? The excellent argument about the difference between "recognize" and "allow" is a bot too theoretical for the passport control situation. No?

Just give him/her your US passport and end of discussion, you're not trying to enter the US with a foreign passport. The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship in the US but it has no jurisdiction abroad. There you could legally use any passport you want to.

The same claim would apply to other countries. Therefore, if I go to my birth country and get in trouble, my US citizenship will not make much difference and I can not be protected by the US Embassy since I entered the country with a different passport. This is tough!
Well, many countries have the same policy as the US. They allow dual citizenship but don't recognize it. For example my country (Italy) allows dual citizenship, but I'm required to use my Italian passport whenever I enter and exit Italy (I'm also required to register at the Italian Consulate as a resident if I live abroad).
While in Italy, I can't claim to be a US citizen., while in the US I can't claim to be an Italian citizen (starting tomorrow :D ).
That's pretty much standard in every country that allows dual citizenship.
Not a problem at all, in my opinion.
Dual citizenship is definitely an asset!

I think an appropriate statement would be: "It is my understanding that the state department has no objection to US citizens also holding citizenship of other countries". At the end of the day, if the IO wants to make a fuss he will do so anyway. The worst he can do is delay you a bit.

Indeed it can be tough and this is why possession of dual-nationality is often discouraged.