Driving with an international permit in Georgia after visa expired

nir2010

Hi,

My husband is on a L1 visa and I am on a L2. Our visa expired yesterday. His company has applied for an extension, but we don't have the papers yet. Meanwhile our Georgia driving licenses have also expired. However we have an international driving permit from India which is valid until 2018.

Can we drive in the US with the international permit? I also have my Indian license. Can we drive in GA/ or another state in the US with the international permit?

Thanks!

International license will work only if you are not a Georgia resident. Once you establish residency, you are supposed to get a GA license. I am not sure if you can switch from a regular GA license to an international one just like that. This will also affect your insurance coverage since a valid US license is a requirement for most auto insurance policies.

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I called driver services and they confirmed the same thing. So, I guess there is no choice, but wait for the papers to come in.

Also, can I visit California/Florida and drive there using an international driving permit, while having an expired Georgia license?

Thanks!

Hi,

My husband is on a L1 visa and I am on a L2. Our visa expired yesterday. His company has applied for an extension, but we don't have the papers yet. Meanwhile our Georgia driving licenses have also expired. However we have an international driving permit from India which is valid until 2018.

Can we drive in the US with the international permit? I also have my Indian license. Can we drive in GA/ or another state in the US with the international permit?

Thanks!

you can keep driving with your international driving permit, but always keep your confirmation paper from uscis while you r driving, to show to police that you applied for extension.