Driver's license renewal denied, what to do? :(

alexmez

Hi guys,

My name is Alex and hopefully you can help me out with an issue I'm facing for a few months now...

First a little about myself:

My family and myself came to the U.S. a little more than 5 years ago on a B2 visa, applied for asylum and now our case is pending in the immigration court (immigration judge).

Few month after we came to the US, I applied for a driver's license and got a driver's license valid for 5 years. On February 10, 2010, my driver's license expired and when I went to the local DMV office to renew it, I was told that I need to provide either a social security number or a valid I-94. Obviously because our case is still pending and I'm not authorized to work in the US, I don't have a social security number, and because my I-94 has long expired, I can't use it either... ;(

My lawyer advised us not to apply for work authorization because that way the judge can make a quick decision on our case, and he fears that because of that, the decision might be a negative one and so to make a long story short, getting a SS # though employment is not an option.

Here's where I need your help - on the official social security website I read the following few paragraphs and they made me think that there must be a way for me to get a social security number:

"If you do not have permission to work, you may apply for a Social Security number only if:

• A federal law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get a particular benefit or service; or

• A state or local law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get general assistance benefits that you already have qualified for.

If you need a number to meet these state or local requirements, you must bring us a letter from the government agency. It must be on letterhead stationery (no form letters or photocopies) and:

• Specifically identify you as the applicant;

• Cite the law requiring you to have a Social Security number;

• Indicate that you meet all the agency’s requirements, except having the number; and

• Contain an agency contact name and telephone number"

As you can see from this text, there must be a way (legal loophole if you will) for me to get a social security number but I need to find a "benefit or service" that requires one first, and so my question is, does anybody know of such a "benefit or service"?

If you do, please let me know, I will be infinitely grateful! I have a family of two kids and my wife and as you can imagine it is not easy to live in a country where you can't legally work and drive. It's an absolute nightmare.

Thanks in advance for your help people!

Alex

P.S. If you have some other tips, ideas, suggestions, etc., that can help me get my driver's license renewed, please let me know!! Thanks.

first, go to another DMV office and try over there.
I'm not sure where you live but if that doesn't work, go to Illinois, preferably Chicago and try to get your DL. Chicago DMV is pretty liberal and will give you DL with as little identification as credit card and piece of mail. Sometimes they will even accept documents that are NOT acceptable according to their web site.
I feel your pain man, it's ridiculous what's this country doing to people who try to play by the rules. Then people are wondering why illegal immigration is so high!

Good luck

I applied for renewal of my DL here in California two weeks ago together with my husband. The guy who was very rude at me told me that if I haven't received my license in two weeks I should come to their office. Last week, a week after our application, my husband's new license arrived but mine didn't make it. I wonder what the problems could be since in my knowledge, my driving record is clean and upon my application, I submitted an approval notice from the USCIS saying that I'm legally allowed to stay here until 2013. I don't have the Social Security number because I'm just having an H4 visa with me. Has it something to do with this? Should I go to DMV to let them know that they haven't issued my license yet? I'm going nuts here...

I applied for renewal of my DL here in California two weeks ago together with my husband. The guy who was very rude at me told me that if I haven't received my license in two weeks I should come to their office. Last week, a week after our application, my husband's new license arrived but mine didn't make it. I wonder what the problems could be since in my knowledge, my driving record is clean and upon my application, I submitted an approval notice from the USCIS saying that I'm legally allowed to stay here until 2013. I don't have the Social Security number because I'm just having an H4 visa with me. Has it something to do with this? Should I go to DMV to let them know that they haven't issued my license yet? I'm going nuts here...

You can call the DMV in Sacramento to find the status, without going to office.

A driver's license or state ID is considered the primary form of identification in the United States. A United States driver's license is an official government-issued ID that authorizes the bearer to operate a motor vehicle. In addition, drivers licenses can also be used as a form of identification for several other purposes such as cashing checks, opening bank accounts, traveling within the United States, and as proof of legal age to buy alcohol and tobacco. A State ID can be used as a form of identification, but may not to operate a motor vehicle.