Driver's license question

franticsky

Registered Users (C)
I have a Illinois DL , valid till July 2010 , I now live in NY , I need to apply for a NY license

I received my Condtional GC which is valid till feb 2010

Question is , Do they issue the DL based on the expiry date on my condtional GC or will they issue a 5 year license ?

Only 2 yrs

I have a Illinois DL , valid till July 2010 , I now live in NY , I need to apply for a NY license

I received my Condtional GC which is valid till feb 2010

Question is , Do they issue the DL based on the expiry date on my condtional GC or will they issue a 5 year license ?

They will issue you your DL based on your conditional GC. That means it will only be good for another 2 more years.

Let me tell u the reason behind it. What if your 2 yr condition doesn't get removed and God forbid you get deported after that. DMV would like to play it safe and will issue you until your current GC expiration date.

They will issue you your DL based on your conditional GC. That means it will only be good for another 2 more years.

Let me tell u the reason behind it. What if your 2 yr condition doesn't get removed and God forbid you get deported after that. DMV would like to play it safe and will issue you until your current GC expiration date.

Got it , Thanks

but i still have EAD and my drivers license expires in 2012..... i think it depends on ur State. each state have dif rules i guess

Wrong, it is good for the full 5 yrs. DMV does NOT look at the expiration date. Permanent Residents card to them means "Permanent". They are told the status doesn't expire even with the date. They don't know the difference between conditional, and permanent resident cards.

In Florida my license expires in 2012, CGC expires 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
My CGC expires this month, went for DL on Tuesday and the expiration date on DL reads 2013. So shouldn't be a problem. They didn't even ask for my CGC.

It depends on the state....so is yes and no answer.

In ATL is another story. When I got my DL was for good 5 years even with a 2 year green card they even did not want to see my SSN, I was short in change for 5 bucks to pay for a 10 year...wish I had!grrrrr...but many people got it for only the 2 years.

Now for I-751...will be another story and they are giving it only for ONE year as I heard in other forums. And same in ATL other horrific stories that even you have your 10 year green card still they give it to you for one year...from dmv office to dmv office...the most dumbest motor vehicle office pfff!

Now the ATL manual states that the license only will be issue until the date of authorize stay by USCIS.

Guys, I am moving to a new state (CA) and a new job with my EAD (I am currently on H1 ->AOS pending name check). Will I be able to get a new driver's license in the new state. I have one in my current state (PA) valid till 2010?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

No problem at all. See the CA DMV website for further info here:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#2500

I would recommend taking as many documents with you as possible. Not sure what they will ask for (SSN and ID/passport are usually sufficient), but while I was still on OPT back in the days the DMV in CT asked for the I-797D, the paper my EAD was mailed in (I had shown them the actual EAD card, along with the passport).
That served as a lesson and confirmation for me to
a) keep each and every piece of mailing you receive from USCIS, and
b) bring even the least expected documents with you to an appointment - anywhere.

Welcome to CA!

In NY - the DL's will have a regular validity date on it - meaning it will expire in 5 years... However, they are preparing to be compliant for the Real ID Act, which means they have created an area on the DL to annotate the person's immigration status. For non-immigrant status, they imprint "Temp Visitor until XXXX" and the date will match when the USCIS document presented (such as EAD or Visa) expires. This much I know for a fact.

For conditional GC holders, they may change the verbiage to read "Resident Status expires on XXXX". I have never experienced or seen this, so I am only speculating on what they would do for conditional GC holders. I hope someone reports back to the forum and lets us know soon.

No problem at all. See the CA DMV website for further info here:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#2500

I would recommend taking as many documents with you as possible. Not sure what they will ask for (SSN and ID/passport are usually sufficient), but while I was still on OPT back in the days the DMV in CT asked for the I-797D, the paper my EAD was mailed in (I had shown them the actual EAD card, along with the passport).
That served as a lesson and confirmation for me to
a) keep each and every piece of mailing you receive from USCIS, and
b) bring even the least expected documents with you to an appointment - anywhere.

Welcome to CA!

Thank you foggazer, appreciate the quick response! So since my EAD is valid for only another 6 or 7 months, if I do apply for a new CA state license, do you have any idea how long the validity would be?

Correction

Wrong, it is good for the full 5 yrs. DMV does NOT look at the expiration date. Permanent Residents card to them means "Permanent". They are told the status doesn't expire even with the date. They don't know the difference between conditional, and permanent resident cards.

In Florida my license expires in 2012, CGC expires 2009.

I don't know which world you are living in, DMV atleast in my state (Georgia) looks at the GC expiration dates, yes I repeat they cent % look at the expiration of your GC and issue you the driver license accordingly. My GC expired in 2011 so when I went to renew my DL last year, I was issued my new DL until 2011.

I can't speak of other states like FL, but if you reside in GA, this is the story.

trialanderror83, you need to be little more educated esp for the state of GA. I like your nick, suits your personality.

Thank you foggazer, appreciate the quick response! So since my EAD is valid for only another 6 or 7 months, if I do apply for a new CA state license, do you have any idea how long the validity would be?

It's valid for five years. So unless they changed that within the last year, which I doubt, and provided you pass the traffic laws test ;), you should be good until 2013.

I certainly hope that they haven't changed the rules.... will keep my fingers crossed... nothing is a given when dealing with DMVs.... thanks again!!!!