Drivers Licence renewal, NJ

cuddl2002

hi,
I have a strange situation, my I-140 & 485 has just been filed on a labor substitution. my H-1 visa expires end of this month and I complete 6 yrs by end of april. Ofcourse the problem is my drivers licence also expires and I will not be able to drive after April end. Has anone been in the same situation? Will they renew DL if I show the receipt of I140 etc any successful experiences?

One of my friend had to file for an H1 to get the DMV to renew the license. Don' t know about with EAD.

Well EAD is acceptable ...If you show your Receipt notice that's fine again they do online check and renew your License

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all
I received this letter from NewJersey Motor Vehicle Commission:
effective May22,2005 MVC will no longer suspend driving privileges based upon expiring VISA status. rather, a driver license issued with " TEMPORARY VISA STATUS" designation will expire i accordance with the expiration date indicated in the license.

If u have recd a Scheduled Suspension Notice and/or Order of Suspension , pl note that it has been rescinded and deleted from your driving record. If your driver license is about to expire orhas already expired , u must renew it at an MVC agency.

Looks like expiration dates r no more linked to the I-94 expiry date

Edison DMV

I recieved a similar letter a few days back. But the the DMV says they cannot renew the license unless I produce a H1 approval notice. They will not accept a receipt notice as proof of filing.

Does anyone have an experince with this? My DL expires on July 7th and my H1 extension is pending for the last couple of months.

zupiter said:
Hi all
I received this letter from NewJersey Motor Vehicle Commission:
effective May22,2005 MVC will no longer suspend driving privileges based upon expiring VISA status. rather, a driver license issued with " TEMPORARY VISA STATUS" designation will expire i accordance with the expiration date indicated in the license.

If u have recd a Scheduled Suspension Notice and/or Order of Suspension , pl note that it has been rescinded and deleted from your driving record. If your driver license is about to expire orhas already expired , u must renew it at an MVC agency.

Looks like expiration dates r no more linked to the I-94 expiry date

H1 info not required for Renewal

I just got my Drivers license renewed and no one asked me for any H1 papers. This is in Illinois though.

Edison DMV

Looks like each state has a different rule. NJ seems to be asking for valid visa status or approval notices. I heard each centre (depending on local or regional) is treating cases differently.

moooonwalker said:
I just got my Drivers license renewed and no one asked me for any H1 papers. This is in Illinois though.

Trenton - 90 day extension

I was able to get a 90 day extension to my DL from the Trenton DMV. So I have until Oct to get the approval in place. The document screening people may not know about this 90 day grace period, so you might need to talk to a supervisor.

ridiculed said:
I recieved a similar letter a few days back. But the the DMV says they cannot renew the license unless I produce a H1 approval notice. They will not accept a receipt notice as proof of filing.

Does anyone have an experince with this? My DL expires on July 7th and my H1 extension is pending for the last couple of months.

ridiculed said:
I was able to get a 90 day extension to my DL from the Trenton DMV. So I have until Oct to get the approval in place. The document screening people may not know about this 90 day grace period, so you might need to talk to a supervisor.

Hi I am also in similar situation .,
I am wating for my H1 7th yr extension approval filed in AUG 2nd week and my driving licence expires in Dec 2nd week.,

did you go to local center first brfore going to Trinton?
what documents you showed to get 90 day extesnsion?

Please let me know
Thanks.,

DL in NJ

I had a good experience. Go to the local DMV and show them the H1B that is expiring. Insist that you spoke to regional offfice in trenton and they said the local DMV supervisor can give extension for 6 months. Tell them that you have filed for I140/485 etc,

I got to speak to the supervisor who gave me an extension for 3 months on showing the H1 that was expiring. Then within 2 months I got my EAD so I had to go back and extend it for 1 yr . Hope this helps