driver license for asylee

ign82

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
Does anyone know if an asylee can get a driver license to be valid for more than a year? I live in Florida and if I remember correctly someone said in this board that asylee can have a regular driver license for five years if they present the proper documents is that true?

I remember reading the same in this forum. I will let someone from Florida elaborate more on this particular situation .....

My license is valid for 7 years

I moved to Florida a couple of months ago an got new Florida driver license valid until 2011. I presented I-94 as proof of status.

Alex

That’s exactly right, what Alex_e38 advised.
I live in Florida too.
My friend showed her EAD and got DL that expires on the same day as EAD (in less then a year!)
I showed my I-94 as an evidence of legal presence in USA and got DL valid for 6 years.

I live in New Jersey and I got driving licence for 4 years ( that is maximum we get in New Jersey).

Aniket19,

I aslo live in Jersey. Which docs did you show? My I-94 has an expiration date, because they made a mistake. I have been getting DLs that expired in 1 year. Last time I went to MVS was in May, 2004. I went to Wayne. Where did you get it and when?

Wisconsin

In Wisconsin, I had my probationary Liscence before I was Asylee. Before probationary Liscence I had State Identification. At that time I was visitor and I did have my social security number at that point which wasn't valid for work. In driving liscence application, there was a field for social security number but other than that I never had to show them any Immigration papers. After my probationary liscence expired I went and they gave me a regular liscence which is valid until 2009.

Thanks everyone for replying back. I am gonna go and try to get a license with my I 94 but the problem is that it has an expiration date on it. When I entered in the US I got my I 94 on the airport but the people there put an expiration date for a year. Do you think its stil valid?

I live in Colorado and I got my driving licence for 10 years ( that is maximum we get in Colorado ) that mean until 2014, and after had show my I 94 and also the receipt of my I 485 .

I was issued a Texas drivers licence in 2003 with 2010 expiry date. 7 years. I don't know what the max. is but I am happy with this amount.

best,

ign82,
if you show them your I-94 that has an expiration date on it – you’ll get a drivers license valid for one year only!
Bring your asylum letter and a receipt of filed I-485 instead.
Below is information I copied for you from the Florida DMV website, hope it helps.

Non-United States Citizens
Original Driver License or Identification Card Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth and social security number (if issued) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.

Immigrants
Each immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:
1. Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-151 or I-551); or
2. I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or
3. Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum; or
4. I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or
5. I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved; or

Non-Immigrants
Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:
1. Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or
2. Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
 F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.
 I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.
 Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.
The following documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card or other INS document.
3. I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit
4. I-512 Parole Letter Accepted
5. IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.
 All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.
 Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.
 Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.
 All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and INS databases.
 Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the INS document.
 If a problem is detected, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.

I think it all depends on th state you are

but asylees DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO GET A DRIVER;S LICENSE.
That's all.
You guys can't be arguing about how long yours is valid for, because you are all in different states.

Karina
They sent me to Wayne office. I showed them the Letter that shows I am an Asylee (granted asylum), I 94 and also the receipt of my I 485 . I did not show them the work permit.

Aniket19 said:
Karina
They sent me to Wayne office. I showed them the Letter that shows I am an Asylee (granted asylum), I 94 and also the receipt of my I 485 . I did not show them the work permit.

what about pending asylum cases ??
one of my relatives is pending asylum case in a court hearing this dec.