• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dreamer's Experience on CP Interview

dreamscometrue

Registered Users (C)
Our Case: The 1st & the 2nd Packages
My case number was 2007AS000009**. Our CP interview was in local US Embassy Kuala Lumpur. I (principal applicant) received my 1st package on 16 May 2006 and returned the forms to KCC on 18 May. It was that fast because I did not want to take any chance. I woke up one whole night just to complete the forms. First, I did the trial filling on photocopies of the originals which I made. I revised and re-checked them a few times. Once sure and confident, I just transferred the info from the photocopies to the original forms – in order to avoid mistakes. I kept a copy of the completed forms before I sent the originals to KCC through DHL.

My children were in my wife's passport. As advised by the US Embassy, we had to have separate (international) passport for each of our children, including our (then) 1+ year old.

I called KCC in mid-August when my case number appeared under “Advanced Notification for October 2006” in the Visa Bulletin (that published in August 2006) and came to know my interview date.

I received my 2nd package on 1 September – after slight delay due to local holidays. My original interview date was early October 2006. The original interview time was 1.30 pm. The 2nd package did not have medical forms even though they were mentioned as included. During collection of medical forms from US Embassy they instructed me to come alone along with documents at 9.00 am on the interview date and then bring my family members at 1.30 pm– the interview time mentioned in the original letter from KCC. I was also given new DS-230 Part II (Sworn Statement) forms - one for each applicant. We filled them again and brought to the interview.

Confusion About Police Certificates
As per my first package, I understood I would need two police certificates from two countries where I have ever lived. Those were in my hands not long after my 1st package and I was happy. But that until I received my 2nd Package. The 2nd Package, which was more detailed and specific than that was stated in my first package, now stated: "IF the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months AND is 16 years old or older, THEN the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality. IF the applicant lived in a different part of their country of nationality for more than 6 months AND was 16 years or older at that time, THEN the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality. IF the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months AND was 16 years or older at that time, THEN the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality." But I knew most countries provide only one Police Certificate (at a particular date, but without mentioning particular duration) stating that there is no record against the person (as on that date). According to the 2nd Package, now I would require more than one police certificates from each country and for specific period. This did not make much sense to me and I was very confused and concerned with only a few weeks left. In my present country of residence I lived in different places for more than one year at a time but they issue only one police cert. While in the previous country, I was in more than one places (>16 years old) for more than one year. But I had only one police certificate collected in 2003. As I contacted now, the other places I stayed refused to issue any police cert, since my permanent address was not in those places. Having no alternative, I decided to face the interview with one police certificate from each country.

Confusion of Certified Certificates
My second package now also asked for Certified Birth Certificate and Certified Police Certificates. I asked through email the US Embassy to clarify what do they mean by "certified" and if required then "certification" from which authority was acceptable to them. I mentioned the list of my certificates and their issuing authorities to them so that they can give me specific suggestion. The Embassy replied that they did not need (I guess 'mean") anything "certified" and they needed only the originals. The extra photocopy of each original and translation did not have to be notarised or certified, I confirmed with Embassy earlier. Logically a translation (of a certificate) is itself an original, therefore, question of notarisation or certification of it again is irrelevant. [However, if required in extreme cases, the foreign ministry of the certificate issuing country can "Verify" (not notarise) the originals, not the translation - that is an international procedure sometimes required in other cases. However, US Embassy may not actually require such verification. One should ask their interviewing Embassy if they really need that.]

Our Medical
We did our medical on 13 (we knew it was “unlucky” but we could not avoid it after lots of effort) September 2006. Anyway, the doctor (I learnt he was not US educated as I presumed) examined each of us: for eye sight, weight, height, blood pressure. They took urine samples (anyone age > 5 years only). Took blood samples for me and my wife only (any one, age >15 years only) for HIV (and syphilis) checks. For my wife, he did general chest check with stethoscope (no physical check to locate breast lump, etc). My wife did not have to undress completely at any moment (though a lady nurse were present) - only partially. And, no check below naval point for ladies. They check the stomac by hands. But for me, while I was also not undressed completely before any check, at some point, I had to raise shirt to show upper part and at some other point I had to lower the underpant to show things (very embarassing). That was to make sure I did not have any veneral disease "lumps" there. No touching or digging - just a view only. Me and my wife were sent to another clinic for chest X-rays a few kilometers away (their clinic did not have X-ray facility).

Not everything was that perfect. My blood pressure has always been perfect (80/120) but during examination, to my disappointment, it unexplicably recorded 90/130; my urine is normally crystal clear but during sample collection in early morning it turned out to be brownish yellow. I was worried that they might discover some bizzare thing in my samples even though the doctor insisted they were ok.

Vaccination requirements are different for those older than 18 years, and those 18 and below. I and my wife did not have any vaccination records of any sorts. I was given a single injection (containing MMR, etc. etc.). My wife and one kid required an extra chicken pox vaccine (injection) since she informed they never had had chicken pox before ( I told, once I had chicken pox). It turned out that my wife (and my 12 years old) would have to take their 2nd dose for MMR and chicken pox after 4-6 weeks which means that would be only after our interview. Earlier the clinic staff confirmed a number of times that we would need only a few minutes to complete all our vaccinations during our medical examinations and not a few weeks or months. Now we were worried because I read somewhere “visas cannot be issued unless all vaccinations are completed”. But the doctor said (but was not sure) that “probably it should not be a problem and should not delay our visas” (later it turned out to be true). The clinic did not have DPT and Hib (hepatitis B) vaccine for my youngest child (2 years old). Therefore, I took him to another clinic the following day (doctor gave us a letter for that) and got it done. Later on, I went back and showed the doctor the proof of the vaccination. Since everything were normal for us, they gave the reports direct to us (after 8 days) in order to carry during the time of interviews (for other cases with some problems, they have to send direct to US Embassy.) Total cost for five of us was around RM 1400 (~ US$ 380).

Uncertainty & Anxiety During Waiting
We always had so many doubts on our actual prospects of getting visas. Factors which I thought were not in our favour are: I am 40+, we are a pretty big family of five, I do not have I-134 sponsor, no job offer from US, me and my wife's birth were registered only recently (our time we did not have the birth registration system) and all dates on the birth certificates are very recent dates; our latest police certificates were already 4 months old (I applied for newer ones but they did not come out before our interview); my principal evidence of support - a bank statement - were showing equivalent of around US$20,000 but most of the amount were deposited only after 1 Sept 2006, therefore, does not reflect much strength; me and my spouse did not have any vaccination records; Factors which I thought were our strengths are: We do not have any heart diseases, diabetes, or any major diseases. I have an advanced degree, I am a member of an American professional society; we have no problem with English language; I already received B1/B2 visas (presumably not on FBI terrorists list) and visited US earlier; the US Embassy informed me in an email reply that no Evidence of Support is required for DV category visa (I decided not to depend fully on their statement - what if they later ask?).

Our Consular Interview & Visas
On the interview date I reached the US Embassy gate around 8.00 am and saw a big queue of around 15 people. But I was loitering around until going to the info window at main gate at 8.30 am and show my Appointment Letter. (Because I used to know that I do not have to queue with others as happened when I came to collect my Medical Forms. I did not have to join the queue then.) The lady guard asked for any sort of identity card. I give her my Identification Card and she kept it and gave me a security tag/card for visitor. I tell the next male guard that I am for immigration visa and asked whether I have to queue and he confirmed that I must queue. I told him that last time I did not have to queue but he insisted that I must queue. That made me very concerned. Because I did not come early enough as I knew that I did not have to queue. I approached the info counter again and asked the lady if I can go in direct. She re-confirmed that I must queue. It is 8.35 am, my appointment is at 9.00 am and I have to queue behind a long queue which formed probably since 7.00 am and does not appear to move at all. I was alarmed at this bad start but resigned and go to the queue. At around 8.50 am, there were those in the queue whose appointment was for 8.00 am. Suddenly, a guard approached me (I do not know how did he identified me) and told me to go direct to the gate (I guess to make for their earlier mistake). It was a big relief and I was let in as the next person. After security scan and checking at the main gate (takes around five minutes), they asked me to switch off my mobile phone and handed it to them along with my car key-cum-alarm. Then the second check at the entrance door and I go direct to the consular section. The guard at the second check gave me a piece of paper which reads “ Step 1: Go ..and take an "A" number. Your number will not be called unless you submit your passport at Counter 1 or 2...." While on the queue machine, the label reads that for US Permanent Residents and Citizen, you should press button B (for B-type queue). Confused I took both A and B type and join the queue for window 1 (and 2). Finally, in my turn at window 2, I explained my DV case and the guy seemed to understand it and asked me to give my papers. I passed to him my whole file of documents. He was going through it and keep asking where is my main petition. I told him that the main petitions were sent to KCC and he appears to be confused. Finally he showed my file to an aged lady at next window and we discovered that window 1 & 2 and the instruction leaflet were meant only for non-immigrant visa applicants. The guard was giving it to everybody apparently out of his confusion. We are to sit and wait with B- type queue until we are called.

Increasingly, it started to appear to me that it was not quite a good start at all -- at least the way I wished and after such meticulous preparation, and when so much at stake. Everything appeared to need a second attempt – why? That made me more anxious. My queue number was B401 which seemed quite lucky (what element of it is lucky I do not know, may be the digit “1”, if you can overlook the bad “0”) and I tried to read some omen of good luck in it. Anyway, I was called to window 7. An Indian young lady there told me to hand over my documents – in separate piles. I had them indeed in separate files. I started to take them out from the clear holders one by one but for unknown reasons the lady appeared to be impatient (however it is standard in Malaysia that a person’s interactions with another person, level of courtesy shown and treatment due, even in government offices, universities or even at bank counters is explicitly decided by a person's origin (race). You look at the person's origin first and irrespective of education, position or relative age, you may choose to only "order" or "instruct" and would not thank people of certain origin or nation. Therefore, I was not really surprised but reckoned a bad luck) and kept telling why did I put that way (I could not know what was the better way). Finally she asked me with annoyance why one of my Police Certificate is that old (which I collected in 2003 for other purpose. It should logically be perfectly ok, since I left that country many years ago) but she took it. She took our police certificates, birth certificates, marriage certificates. I had all the educational certificates with me but she took only my highest (last) certificate. She took all our current and old passports. She took only the originals and did not take any of the photocopies I brought along as per DV instructions in our 1st and 2nd packages. She did not take the transcripts, did not take any of my evidence of supports, my certificate of membership of an American professional body, and she did not take any of my present or past professional experience certificates. She asked whether I have one copy of photo for each of us with me ready. I replied “yes” but I pointed out that the ones with the KCC forms are less than six months old and the ones with me are the copies of the same photos. Therefore, she did not collect any further photos from me. She took one half of my queue slip and left asking me to wait. A second Indian gentle man came to the window 7 and asked me very politely to pay the application fees. I paid the amount in local cash (total around RM 14000 for five persons = 5 x US$755) and he gave me the receipts. At this stage I started to feel that things are moving. I tried to think (quite illogically) that they took the fees because they wanted to give me the visas. He asked me to retain my queue number and comeback with all my family members at 1.30 pm. Before leaving the Embassy, I asked the guard at the main gate whether I would have to queue in the afternoon when I come with my family with a small kid. She told me that I would not have to and added that in the afternoon there was no queue indeed. She asked me to bring along photocopy of the first pages of passport for those of my family members who do not bear any identity card or driving licence, to keep at the gate as identifying document.

I came home. I received a call from Embassy (initially I thought something must have gone wrong!). The lady told me to email her my address in the US immediately. In my original form I wrote “Not decided yet”. However, after two weeks of sending my forms to KCC, I emailed the US address to KCC and KCC acknowledged the receipt and told me that they will update it accordingly (but they actually did not). Anyway, now I emailed the address to the Embassy lady (we discovered later, she also did not update on our forms).

At 1.00 pm, we (I, my spouse, three kids – between 12 years and two years) reach the Embassy gate. We knew 1.00-2.00 pm is lunch break but we were let in immediately. Two security checks – at main gate first and at entrance door later. We entered the consular section around 1.07 pm and we were alone. A few people join us soon. At 1.40 pm, I was called in at window 7, given the page of the original forms to KCC that ask for addresses in the US- for each of my family members and were told to fill-in the US address (i.e. the Embassy lady did not fill-in either). There was almost no space to write the address clearly but the officer told me to write somehow. I write the address in all our five forms, return and wait.

In the meantime we were watching a couple being sworn-in and interviewed -- also a DV case. That gives us some sorts of rehearsal “experience” on what is going to happen to us and gives us some confidence. However, during this time, my youngest kid was so cheerful that he would not keep quite. He would run around, giggle and make unrecognisable chirpy sounds as he always does (typical of his age). We thought it was OK, because nobody should try to restrain a kid (I thought it may be even illegal in the US), and we were not uninvited. Then another kid joined him and started a sorts of childish noise. Probably to everybody’s surprise – the consular officer who was at the middle of interviewing the couple – stopped and in a raised voice instructed the waiting audience “who is screaming must be stopped.” My wife immediately grabbed my kid and tried to forcefully stop/choke his mouth with her hands. It was a very bad moment. My kid was teary at our bizarre behaviour.

At around 2.30 pm, our serial number was called at window 9. I and my wife appeared at the window. We gave our youngest kid to the elder kids to hold. They did not have to be exactly at the window. The officer greeted me and my wife and asked for my finger prints. I pressed my left index finger against a machine first. But apparently it did not produce the finger print (another nasty bad omen- Am I not a US material?). The officer asked me to rub my finger on my shoulder (on my shirt) and try again, and it worked. I repeat the same for my right index finger. Next, my wife was finger printed. Then me and my wife were sworn-in by the officer together using the routine official statement which he read out “…..all the information I present are correct to my knowledge and …..I speak only the truth ….” (we had to raise our righthand with palm facing foreward) and at the end we had to just speak “I do”. Kids were not sworn-in. Then me and my wife signed under the swearing statement that appears at end of our respective DS-230 Part II (Sworn Statement) forms. Both of us had to jointly sign on each of our children’s DS-230 Part II (Sworn Statement) forms, identifying within brackets father and mother. Then the officer asked me whether I ever applied before. I told that I did not appear for DV visa interview before but earlier I received B1/B2 visas which would expire in Sept 2009. He asked me whether I had any plan or need to travel to the US in next one week or so. I replied in the negative and he cancelled my B1/B2 visa in a smiling face. Then he started going through my documents one by one and was returning the original and the original translation to me one by one. I noticed that the copy of each certificate (made by Embassy) he was signing and retaining was marked (stamped in red) with something like “CONTENTS COMPARED AND VERIFIED WITH THE ORIGINAL”. Then the officer stopped at one of my Police Certificate and asked me how did I get that since it was extremely difficult to get (In fact the US Reciprocity Table at “http://travel.state.gov/visa/recipr...untry_pick.htm” mentions that police certificate is “not available” for that country). And asked why could I get that in that advance in 2003 when my interview was only now. I asserted that we personally collected them in 2003 during our visit to that country. We collected them then since we were thinking of applying for migration to Canada at that moment. He was convinced and mentioned that he would accept the certificates. He kept both the original police certificates (for other documents and translations, he returned all the originals). He then asked me where my first degree from and which year; where my last degree from and which year. Those did not sound like questions, instead reconfirmation. Next, the officer asked my wife whether she ever travelled to the US and she replied “no”. The officer went through her documents and did not ask any further question. He then went through my children’s documents (birth cert and some school certificates) very quickly. (Surprisingly, we were not asked our well-rehearsed questions "Why do you want to go to the US?" and "What do you plan to do there?".) After that he started “Sir, let me conclude the result of today’s interview …..you have been approved visas …..you will have to travel within six months and it cannot be extended once the visas are stamped…..” and asked me whether that was OK for us. We nodded in positive. The officer gave us a receipt to collect our passports with the visas next Friday and he left the window thanking us. Addrenaline broke all bunds and rushed through my vains at a speed almost intolerable to me. Never before we dared to dream that we will actually ever get visas to the US – a dream cherished since long long ago. We almost believed and always commented that US visas were never for us. Now all on a sudden all those apprehension proved wrong – we felt to be in a fairyland where dreams can really come true. I hugged my wife with joy and pecked on her cheek for the first time ever in public (our custom does not encourage us to do so). We hugged our children with almost teary eyes and kissed them to convey our appreciation to God for sending them to us and also prizing us with the US visas.

We collected the visas and "myterious" yellow packets ("Message in a bottle"?) the following Friday afternoon. The text on the visa reads: "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR". I discovered that I-551 is the official name of US "Greencard".

My wife and kids have completed the remaining doses of vaccines on indicated date (after the visas) later from a different clinic i.e. from our GP (charged RM 130 = US$35 for each chicken pox vaccine) and we have collected records/papers to prove that, in case they ask at the port of entry.

Everybody on this forum - thank you so much! I learnt a lot from all of you. I benefitted not only from the smartest questions ever asked on this forum, but also from the "stupidest" questions as well.

-Dreamer

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!! :) :D :) :D :) :D :)
Reading your story just reminded me of what I went through in my own interview!

Best of luck!
lola76

Congratulations

My best wishes for you and your family!!! It makes me see what it's on our way!!! Good experience!!!

Congratulations!
With your comprehensive description, you answer a question I made about the validity period of my foreign police certificates, as they will be aprx one year old by my (expected) interview date, but perfectly cover my residence period abroad.
Thanks for your comments,
best of luck!
Carlos

Congratulations Dreamer

I just want to congratulate you and thank you for finding time to give a clear and detail narration of your cp experience.This singular action has really raised the hope for a lot of us who are yet to be scheduled for interview.

Thank you very much.

Indeed like your I.d says..your dream has finally come through.I am so happy for you .

Enjoy your new status.

congratulations

Let me congratulate you wholeheartedly, as a Bangladeshi , i am so happy to see you pass through. I am grateful to you that you took so much valuable time to draft the experience of yours.

I am sure many will be highly benefited and encouraged to move ahead for their forthcoming interviews.

so what next? when do you plan to travel?

bhalo thakun

ferdous

dreamscometrue
Thank you so much for your time and the whole experience.
it was a miracle that indeed your dream has come true. You almost got my eyes soaked with tears of laughter when i read the portion you said and i quote "Addrenaline broke all bunds and rushed through my vains at a speed almost intolerable to me" it was quite funny. I wish you the very best. I will soon join you. see yah soon.