"don't travel until you get the plastic" - did anyone else hear that?

Pork Chop

Registered Users (C)
friend of ours just had her GC approved. went to have her passport stamped in las vegas, nevada, was told thereafter: "don't travel outside the u.s. until you get your plastic card!"

she called to ask us if we had been similarly admonished when we went in for our i551 stamps. i assured her that not only we weren't, but also that was the first i had ever heard of such a stricture. moreover, i had travelled to europe and back with nary a secondary inspection.

any of you hear anything along those lines? any experiences to share?

That would not be the first time an immigration official spreads misinformation...

You *CAN* travel with a stamp. I did - no problems (save for a secondary inspection in ATL). The USCIS lady that stamped my passport specifically said I can travel - she got it right :)

eltoro said:
That would not be the first time an immigration official spreads misinformation...

You *CAN* travel with a stamp. I did - no problems (save for a secondary inspection in ATL). The USCIS lady that stamped my passport specifically said I can travel - she got it right :)
yup, squares with what i know (and experienced). i wouldn't put it past the CIS personnell that they were just - to use a charming americanism - yankin' her chain.

I Find Porkchop To Be Guilty Of Spreading Rumors That Have No Basis In Whatever But Truth.

You Can Travel Without Any Fear, And Your Stamp Shall Be Honored.

daJudge said:
...That Have No Basis In Whatever But Truth.
then that should be okay, right? :D

and moreover, your honor, you might have read a little more carefully what my take on the assertion was. now you are probably going to find me guilty of comtempt of court.

Pork Chop said:
moreover, i had travelled to europe and back with nary a secondary inspection.

any of you hear anything along those lines? any experiences to share?

You've answered your own question. You traveled without problem with your stamp - the same applies to everyone else. I just returned from London with the stamp and had no problems and NO secondary inspection at SFO.

lisansw said:
What they normally do during the second inspection?

Enter your A# and case number into a computer to make sure the documents you are presenting are not forgeries; also, they may ask some simple questions about where you live, your employer, etc. Not everybody is sent to secondary inspection. If you are, the whole process usually only takes a couple of minutes unless there are a lot of people in front of you.

You can travel with just the stamp= No problems at all.

I have travelled outside of the US 3 times this year.

1. Returning thru Puerto Rico- Secondary- 30 min wait- A few Questions
2. Thru Chicago from Hong Kong- Secondary- 2 mins- No Questions
3. Thru Chicago from London- NO SECONDARY- NO QUESTIONS.

So not sure what triggers a secondary- I assume that with a card no need to go to secondary at all.

My Passport was stamped in 3/04, Des Moines, till waiting for a letter and cards.

unitednations said:
The person who stamped your friend's passport may have given some foreshadowing as to what was to come.
http://www.murthy.com/nflash/nf_101504.html
NewsFlash! Travel Possibly Limited for I-551 Stamp Holders
yeah, so it would seem. on the whole, though, i would have preferred to live with getting flamed for this thread than being vindicated. i am still holding out hope that somebody in CIS/DHS/wherever realizes that this is *really* idiotic, even by their standards.

methinks sheila murthy went off half-cocked (inasmuch as it is possible for... on second thoughts, don't go there...) on this one. her website has published some more details today which read like a bit of an egg-in-the-face cop-out.

JoeF said:
Well, it seems that they post what they know at the particular time.
To me, the whole thing looks rather as if CIS had announced this to AILA without thinking it fully through. I think that there is lots of talk going on about it behind the scenes now, between AILA, CIS, and CBP to clear up all the issues that CIS didn't address up front.
So, I don't think that it is Mrs. Murthy's fault. The rumors have been out there before the initial post on her website.
I consider this yet another CIS mismanagement.

You may be right Joe, but it seems not true to me, if you see, no other attorney mentioned this in their website, and sheela murthy is quick to post it and quick to fix it, no one else still say anything about it. I am sure lots of other Attorney must have also attending the conf. and they must be as much concerned as she is.

Bindaas said:
You may be right Joe, but it seems not true to me, if you see, no other attorney mentioned this in their website, and sheela murthy is quick to post it and quick to fix it, no one else still say anything about it. I am sure lots of other Attorney must have also attending the conf. and they must be as much concerned as she is.

That's the point. Many lawyers know it. Some lawyers answered in some mailing lists. But posting half information as "news flash" is just as bad as bad rumors.

Another update

http://www.murthy.com/nflash/nf_101504.html

NewsFlash! Travel Possibly Limited for I-551 Stamp Holders
Posted Oct 15, 2004; updated Oct 19, 2004

We initially reported that attorneys from The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C., attending the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) National Conference in Chicago, called in on October 15, 2004, to inform us that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) intends to begin phasing out the temporary I-551 stamps as early as October 26, 2004. The I-551 stamps are temporary evidence of lawful permanent resident status. They are issued to people after their applications for permanent residence have been approved as proof of this status and to be used until the actual plastic "green" card arrives. The stamp is valid for work and travel and has served as evidence of lawful permanent resident status while individuals waited for the plastic card to be produced and received by mail.

Few details have yet been released on this matter. There was some initial concern that those who already have I-551 stamps would not be able to continue to use them to travel. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which employs the Port of Entry officers, has now indicated that they will continue to honor the I-551 stamp as a valid travel document. It remains unclear what mechanism will document permanent resident status prior to receipt of the plastic card. We at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy and MurthyDotCom will continue to provide our readers with more information on this important topic as and when it becomes available.

NewsFlash! I-551 Stamps Expected to Continue for Now

NewsFlash! I-551 Stamps Expected to Continue for Now
Posted Oct 19, 2004
©MurthyDotCom
There has been a further update regarding I-551 temporary evidence of permanent residence stamps. We received information from AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) after close of business on October 19, 2004, stating that the USCIS has advised that they will continue to issue temporary I-551 stamps. The USCIS had announced on Friday, October 15, that the stamps would be phased out later in the month. [This earlier NewsFlash is available on MurthyDotCom.] This caused a great deal of alarm. The stamps are used as proof of permanent resident status for all purposes, including work and travel, after an application for permanent residence has been approved, but before the plastic "green" card is received by mail.
©MurthyDotCom
It is not clear whether this is represents a permanent policy, or if we will experience more fluctuation in this area. Written confirmation from USCIS regarding this change is expected in a few days. We at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy continue to monitor this very closely for our readers and will update MurthyDotCom when any more information becomes available.

Just got Stamped - rumor is true, 26th is the change date.

Just back from I551 stamp in San Antonio. I asked the immigration officer if the rumor was true, he confirmed that 26th they will begin phasing out the 551 stamp. He asked where I heard about this and I told him on an immigration website (no names). I asked what should I do as I am travelling on the 16th Nov out of the US for business, and he said, and I quote "We have not been issued with guidelines regarding this, but don't leave the US without a way back in". I asked him to elaborate but he had nothing to add. Nice guy, very helpful, but it seems they are as much in the dark as us. Naturally I am concerned about this, and may re-consider my travel. He said to keep checking the BCIS website for news.

BTW the letter I got from BCIS had the old ADIT phot requirements which like a fool I followed. I had to go get my pictures re-taken. The immigration officer said that they had a lot of problems as the form was wrong (also he said the citizenship for has the same issue).

- Tim

timfountain said:
Just back from I551 stamp in San Antonio. I asked the immigration officer if the rumor was true, he confirmed that 26th they will begin phasing out the 551 stamp. He asked where I heard about this and I told him on an immigration website (no names). I asked what should I do as I am travelling on the 16th Nov out of the US for business, and he said, and I quote "We have not been issued with guidelines regarding this, but don't leave the US without a way back in". I asked him to elaborate but he had nothing to add. Nice guy, very helpful, but it seems they are as much in the dark as us. Naturally I am concerned about this, and may re-consider my travel. He said to keep checking the BCIS website for news.

BTW the letter I got from BCIS had the old ADIT phot requirements which like a fool I followed. I had to go get my pictures re-taken. The immigration officer said that they had a lot of problems as the form was wrong (also he said the citizenship for has the same issue).

- Tim

When did u go for stamping? I guess, your statement is confusing more, if you see Murthy.com(that started all this sh*t) now saying they r continuing with 551 stamp and will recognize and blah, blah...

Man, it is making me sick. I am also planning for India trip with 551 stamp.

Damn!!