Does this work? Coming back every six months?

anotheryear

Registered Users (C)
If green card holder comes to the United States every six months for a short visit, can he keep his LPR status? With or without a reentry permit? Does the DHS know how long you were gone when you show up at the airport?

If green card holder comes to the United States every six months for a short visit, can he keep his LPR status?

If you are coming to the United States merely to visit, then by definition you have abandoned Permanent Residency.

Does the DHS know how long you were gone when you show up at the airport?

Sure. Whether they bother to check is another question.

If green card holder comes to the United States every six months for a short visit, can he keep his LPR status? With or without a reentry permit?
I think the question has been asked and answered many times. Let me put it in simple terms: if you visit the United States of America, you are by definition not resident of the United States. If you are not resident of the United States, it is just a matter of time until you lose your GC because your decision of residing outside the United States of America shows that you have relinquised your Legal Permanent Resident status.

Please note:
- If you have a reentry permit you may be able to preserve your LPR status
- I am no lawyer and this is no legal advice.

One trip of almost 6 months isn't a problem. But multiple trips of almost 6 months each without a reentry permit, with only short stays in the US in between, does put you at a real risk of losing your green card. However, most people are able to get away with doing that because at the port of entry the officers don't always have detailed and accurate information about your prior series of trips (and/or don't bother to check it). It is when they apply for citizenship, the USCIS will gather and deeply scrutinize their information, they run into trouble (although the usual result is denial of citizenship, not loss of the green card).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a Re-entry permit, then a trip every 6 months or < 6 months will not risk green card as long as you come back while Re-entry permit is valid.