does this count as international travel on n400?

sunesh369

Registered Users (C)
I took a cruise vacation a few years back. Took a cruise ship on August 28 from Florida and came back to Florida on August 31. During those 3 days we were on the cruise ship in the atlantic ocean and took a 6 hour stay on the bahamas island one of the days.
In the section on N400 form where we need to mention the travel outside the US - does this need to be mentioned? While we were in the sea - is that considered out of the country also?

I've also pondered a similar question when filling out my N-400 forms.

I have made several trips across the border into Canada. Most of them
are between 2 to 4 hours.(quick shopping trips) The N-400 said
trips over 24 hours... so I did not list these short trips. But I listed
all other trips outside of the US, involving an overnight stay.

I don't see how it can hurt if you list your cruise trip, by the way... :)

I took a cruise vacation a few years back. Took a cruise ship on August 28 from Florida and came back to Florida on August 31. During those 3 days we were on the cruise ship in the atlantic ocean and took a 6 hour stay on the bahamas island one of the days.
In the section on N400 form where we need to mention the travel outside the US - does this need to be mentioned? While we were in the sea - is that considered out of the country also?

Hi,
Did the border and customs agents come aboard your cruise ship and receive you by stampimng your passports. Anyway since your trip is outside the land borders of USA and is over 24 hours it should be mentioned on your N-400 form. Hope this helps.

Cruise counts as out of country as well as trip to Canada and Mexico. I just got back from the Carnival cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel and went through immigration 2 times (out and in. Second time it was on a ship before debarkation when cruise was over). My passport was not stamped though as well as US passports of my wife and daughter. Cruse liners are considered as foreign territory since in my case Carnival Inspiration was registered on Nassau. As soon as you borded - you're outside of USA.

There is absolutely no downside to mentioning them on the N-400 whereas there is a very tiny (truly minimal) downside of not mentioning them.

Similar situation: I sailed my boat directly from Beaufort NC to St Thomas USVI in 9 days. Despite never entering a foreign country, I still declared the trip because technically I was outside the US in international waters.

I understand what all of you are saying. My situation is slightly different - I already submitted my N400 form. In there I listed 5 international travels (each of them was less than 2 months). However I did not mention the cruise vacation that I took 2 years back. It was a 3 day cruise with the stop in Bahamas only for 6 hours. Rest of the time was in the water.
I understand that the best would have been to put this in the N400 form. However I forgot to put this trip. Now I have my interview in a couple of weeks. I am debating whether I should tell the IO that I need to correct my international travel information and add this 3 day cruise? OR should I just not bring it up? I know it is not a big deal - but I am worried that if I bring this small thing up could it just complicate or delay the process? Will it be best to just avoid this discussion since it was anyway in the waters for most of 3 days and it is not clear if it is international or not.

Just tell the IO you forgot. It shouldn't be a big problem (since it doesn't affect either continuous residence or physical presence). They seem to value truthfulness - as they should.