Does state matter when filing asylum?

Mr. Bird

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone, i will be filing my political asylum case next month. I do not know if states matter in terms of processing and speed. I wish to know the best state to file my case in. Thanx!

I don't know about the speed, but what I know for sure is that each state has disparate acceptance rate. I believe CA is the most welcoming, FL and TX accept alot and so on. There is some official info on that online. But you can't just file it anywhere you want. You have to file it in the state you live in. During the interview you will be asked to prove that you didn't just move to file asylum in that particular state (I was asked to provide letters and other evidence that I was going to live in my state, I provided my Driver's Licence, and only after that the interview started). So be careleful with that. You also will be asked about the place you live in, who is the owner their names and all the staff, so you can't just stay in a hotel for 3 days to file asylum.

Thanx

Thank you very much Kombainer for your message. My idea was to travel to a different state just for filing and then come back to my residence state. I heard from a friend that some states have one central state where they refer their asylum cases. e.g you can file in Vermont while you live in Boston; and you will be going for interview in boston. I do not know much about it. Added assistance will be appreciated.

You are welcome. I had similar situation: at first, I lived and studied in Boston than I was admitted at in a California school. My attorney said "even if you got accepted to CA school we have to prove that you didn't move just to apply in CA ( Boston has very low rate of granted asylum). So we waited for 2 months, I got my license and few letters from school. Only after that we applied. Not surprisingly the first thing officer said was," we ask proof of you intention to stay and live in CA, and we don't accept your school documents, since you can change your school any time. He asked for some letters to my current address and my license. Only after that he asked who I am:) So even if you are going to be accepted to Harvard Universiry for the next 4 years, they won't believe that you are gonna live in MA :D
If you go to the official USCIS web page you will find a link 'find asylum office'. there you will be able to find your local office. For example L.A. office covers CA AZ and few more territories. I also suggest downloading the official asylum form (you can find it at uscis.gov) with complete instructions. Good luck with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
my pressure comes from the limited time i have cos my visa expires next month. But your information and links have really helped me. What would happen if i went out of status then i apply?

You will be considered illegal, which means you will be required to come pick up the decision in 2 weeks (not necessarily you will have it, might take longer) and if they deny ,they send your case to immigration court, if the judge denies, you will be deported from the U.S, and I doubt you will be allowed to the U.S in future. The whole process usually takes about 1 year (give or take a few months). So it's up to you. If you can extend your visa for more than a year,you will not be deported. What type of visa do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Then am in trouble since am on a J1 visa with 2year home country rule applicable. What if they accept, do they give a work authorization permit right away?

If you get asylum you will be able to stay,work,and do whatever you like. But if they don't give you the decision right away or deny, you will be eligible for apllying for work permit only after 150 days (Immigration court also counts as pending asylum).

what if i file like three days before my visa exires? will it count as out of status since by the time the decision will be made it will have expired? I think you know a lot and thanx for your valued answers.

how can you prove the address where you live if you do not have any contract or no bills?

You can simply ask the person in your household who has his name in the lease write a letter stating that you are sharing the apartment and utilities with you and get it attested.
Or get a drivers license/state ID with that address.