Documents for Child's US passport

kris888

Hi,
Last Friday I had oath ceremony and applied for passports for self, wife and my child. I forgot to send/attach my child's green card along with application. I have sent child's birth certificate and my marriage certificate. The guy at the postoffice didn't ask for my child's green card. Is it a must to send the green card?.

If I need to send the greencard where should I send it?, my application was sent Philly office. I live SC state

Thanks for your reply.

kris

Last edited by a moderator:
Green card is a must for the child claiming citizenship thru naturalized parents. Call the National Passport Information Center and they will help you.

I found this to be a flaw in the Passport application process. In the checklists online (state.gov website) nor in the post offices, they do not have an item to ask for the child's Green card. So, even if you carried the card with you, if they don't ask, you assume it is not required.

When I applied for my child's passport (along with mine and my wife's), the post office clerk did not ask for Green card. My wife & I got our passports within a week (yes, even with normal processing) and I received a letter for my child from the Chicago passport office, asking to send her green card (or passport page with I-551 stamp). They clearly indicated what address to mail it to.

I still called them asking if they needed the original Green card or a copy and they said they needed the original. I sent it to them along with the letter they sent, and viola, the child's new passport, the green card and the original birth certificate all arrived in priority mail within a week.

The passport application *does* mention proof of permanent residence, please see page 2 of instructions.

"b. APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth
Abroad, or evidence described below.
1) If You Claim Citizenship Through Naturalization Of Parent(s): Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate,
and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence."

I applied for myself, my wife and my kid together but our passports received within one week but they did not send my kid's passport yet. We applied on 1st Aug,ours received on 8th. I dont know do I need to call or not.

Regular or Expedite/Over night

Hi BAMCITIZEN,

Did you choose Regular or Expedite/Over night? One week is very impressive if regular. Also where did you apply from? I just applied for my PP. I’m just curious to know when I will be getting mine. Please let me know. Tks

kris888,

you will get a letter from the office who is adjudicating your application requesting the original green card. Just wait until you get that letter, it will tell you were to send it.

Waiting for a letter from them is just wasting time. That is what I'm saying. ASK the passport application receiving clerk to include the Green Card along with the application, even if they don't ask for it.

The application *does* mention about proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence on page 2, but the post office clerks may not know enough to assume that to be the "Green Card" and have to include with the app.

By proactively sending it with your app, you'll save some time ergo tension about your child's passport, especially if you are in a hurry to get it.