Documents checklist for Adjustment of Status for an asylee

maeda

Hello!
I've done my research online and read all the instructions, however I am still not sure what exactly I have to submit as an asylee adjusting his status. What I got so far:
I-912
Copy of my 2010 Tax return
I-485
2 photos for I-485
G-325A
Copy of the stamp the USCIS officer put in my Passport as proof of my status
Letter of Employment as proof of one year physical presence
Copy of my Birth certificate and its translation
Sealed I-693
I-131
A pair of photos for I-131
I-643
Should I send copies of my J1 visa even though I got it over 3 years ago. Do I need to send copies of my passport??? What else do I need? Thank you for your time!
Rodion
Edit: Also do I have to send 4 copies of G-325A in my package?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is according to USCIS. What is your research source?

If your asylum status is granted, you should file a Form I-485 with the following supporting documentation (in this order):

Completed and signed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
Completed and signed Form I-693, Report of Medical Exam and Vaccination Record, if required. For more information, see
the Instructions for Form I-693
the Immigration Medical Examination page
Applicable fees
Asylees must pay the Form I-485 application fee and the fingerprint fee
Applicants under the age of 14 do not need to submit a fingerprint fee
Completed and signed Form I-602, Application by Refugee for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability (if applicable)
Copy of your I-94 card
Asylees may also submit a copy of their approval notice granting asylum or a copy of the immigration judge’s orders showing that you were granted asylum
A completed Form G-325A, Biographic Information Sheet, if you are between 14 and 79 years of age
Certified copies of court records (if you have been arrested)
Two passport-style photos
Note: You must submit any foreign language documents with a certified English translation. The translator must certify that he/she is competent to perform the translation and that the translation is accurate. Note that translations submitted without a legible copy of the foreign document are not sufficient.

I mailed it today. With all that documentation inside plus I-643, plus some extras: like copies of my J-1 Visa, Ds-2019 and some passport pages. Thanks for your reply! Now is the time to wait :)

I mailed it today. With all that documentation inside plus I-643, plus some extras: like copies of my J-1 Visa, Ds-2019 and some passport pages. Thanks for your reply! Now is the time to wait :)

This may come a little late but with the USCIS, you should follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach. The more documents you provide, sometimes it just delays the processing of your application.

I don't mind waiting. I just hope that they will process my I-131 before October, so I can visit my mom in Italy!

This may come a little late but with the USCIS, you should follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach. The more documents you provide, sometimes it just delays the processing of your application.

So true. I think Asylee's i485 could be the easiest for the USCIS to decide because most of the cases are either been thru the immigration courts or uscis asylum offices. Keeping it simple would help them bcz almost all of the documents that an asylee submits are in his or her A-file already barring an I-602 waiver which is granted automatically nowadays without having to submit an application and i-693 medical reports.

I am Glad I found this thread Now. I am about to send I-485. I am an asylee, but 4 years ago, I came in J visa with the 2 years requirement. I know as i am an asylee it will not apply to me. as the country of persecution is the country of the 2 years requirment. the question is : when I was filling out form I 485 , "Yes" or "No" questions (question 11) "have you been ever obtained Non immigrant J1 visa and have 2 years requirment and you have not complied it yet or obtained waiver?"
I have read before on the interent that asylum will automatically waive the 2 years rule...So should I Mark "No" as It will be considered waived.
Or should I apply for a waiver for the 2 years to the DOS?
or, I have to choose "Yes"...I am afraid that might be someone in USCIS will reject or delay my application according to this question, Or ask for an interview after another 2 more years?! Please advise..Thanks

I-602 waiver which is granted automatically nowadays without having to submit an application and i-693 medical reports.

This is not true. The waiver is not automatically granted. The adjudicator still has to review the circumstances and grant the waiver before approving the I-485. However, under the current USCIS policy, I-602 is not required for some inadmissibility bars such as entry without admission and unlawful presence.

I am Glad I found this thread Now. I am about to send I-485. I am an asylee, but 4 years ago, I came in J visa with the 2 years requirement. I know as i am an asylee it will not apply to me. as the country of persecution is the country of the 2 years requirment. the question is : when I was filling out form I 485 , "Yes" or "No" questions (question 11) "have you been ever obtained Non immigrant J1 visa and have 2 years requirment and you have not complied it yet or obtained waiver?"
I have read before on the interent that asylum will automatically waive the 2 years rule...So should I Mark "No" as It will be considered waived.
Or should I apply for a waiver for the 2 years to the DOS?
or, I have to choose "Yes"...I am afraid that might be someone in USCIS will reject or delay my application according to this question, Or ask for an interview after another 2 more years?! Please advise..Thanks

This doesn't apply to you because you are an asylee.

assylum, what did you mean by saying that / what is not apply to me? you meant using I-602 or being waived from the 2 years requirment?

You do not need a waiver and you are eligible to adjust your status because your adjustment of status is under section 209.2

You should put Yes to question #11 because you were J-1 exchange visitor and you did not try to obtain a waiver. The grant of asylum is not an automatic waiver. The grant of asylum gives you the opportunity to adjust status even if you did not complied with the J-1 requirements.

Once again, you are adjusting under section 209, which means you are eligible even if you did not comply with the J-1 requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks , assylum for your help.. But I am sure they will ask for an interview once I put YES to any of these questions.However, I am eligible still for adjustment. Thanks again