Do you travel overseas with both passport and naturalization certificate or only passport?

WBH

Registered Users (C)
Do you travel overseas with both passport and naturalization certificate or only pasport?

In case passport is lost, naturalization certificate can be used to request assistance from US consulate.

Of course, if we have both passport book and passport card, two documents may be enough to back up each other

I actually have an encrypted thumb drive with all my "official" documents with me when I travel, so I guess you could say I carry a copy of my passport, naturalization certificate etc.

However, if you are asking about carrying the original naturalization certificate, the answer is a big NO. The passport people are able to research your file for a fee if the need arises.

Carrying an original Naturalisation Certificate would be a very silly idea. First of all, it is bulky and can be easily deformed. Second, in case of a theft or loss, filing N-565 is a lengthy and expensive procedure. And finally, it is a very illogical thing to do - if you lose the passport, chances are quite high that you will lose other documents as well, including the certificate.

I personally would prefer if there was a compact citizenship card (ID-1 type) similar to the national ID cards used in Europe or similar to the Canadian citizenship certificate but with the MRZ for travel purposes. Such card could be given to newly naturalised US citizens after the oath and could also be requested by natural-born US citizens. Current American naturalisation certificate looks like something from the 19th century.

you can make a copy of your passport and get the photocopy notarized, so you can use it as a evidence of citizenship when you are dealing with an U.S. embassy. Also, you can apply for a passport card, just using it as a proof of citizenship. Never travel with your naturalization certificate abroad!

Technically, if you read the instructions on any U.S. consulate's website regarding applying for a new passport if the old one is lost or stolen, the instructions always say that you are supposed to provide an original document proving U.S. citizenship, rather than a photocopy.
However, in practice they do accept photocopies in such cases (e.g. of the previous passport). I certainly would not take the naturalization certificate, since it is bulky, difficult to replace and could also easily be lost or stolen.

Incidentally, a U.S. passport card does serve as an original document proving U.S. citizenship and one can easily carry it in a wallet while on a foreign trip. Unlike the N.C., the passport card is fairly cheap and easy to replace if it does get lost.

Incidentally, a U.S. passport card does serve as an original document proving U.S. citizenship and one can easily carry it in a wallet while on a foreign trip. Unlike the N.C., the passport card is fairly cheap and easy to replace if it does get lost.

Passport card is not valid for air travel. But assume, a on a trip back to USA, you already get off the plane, can you just use the passport card to pass the border control?

A passport card is indeed not valid for air travel and a CBP agent at an airport will want to see a passport book.

However, a passport card is perfectly fine as a documentary proof of U.S. citizenship when applying for a new passport (whether in the U.S. or overseas).

A passport card is indeed not valid for air travel and a CBP agent at an airport will want to see a passport book.

However, a passport card is perfectly fine as a documentary proof of U.S. citizenship when applying for a new passport (whether in the U.S. or overseas).

I thought you always need to present original certificate (birth or natrualization) when applkying for a new passport
no matter ho wmany times you have applied before. In that case, should pass port card or any expired old passport
just be redundant evidence anyway?

Previous passport or passport card is all that is needed to renew a US passport. Naturalization cert/US birth cert is not needed for renewals. Adults can renew by mail if their previous US passport is not more than 15 years old and was issued at age 18 or older.

Previous passport or passport card is all that is needed to renew a US passport. Naturalization cert/US birth cert is not needed for renewals. Adults can renew by mail if their previous US passport is not more than 15 years old and was issued at age 18 or older.

Not sure about that. Though I never re-apply for passport for myself I did that more than once for kids. Everytime I had to send thier birth certificate

Just checked the State Department's website. A recent, undamaged passport (book, or card) is needed for passport renewal.

I thought you always need to present original certificate (birth or natrualization) when applkying for a new passport
no matter ho wmany times you have applied before.
That is totally incorrect, read the instructions at the State Department's website. Any document establishing U.S. citizenship is acceptable, such as a previously issued U.S. passport (even an expired one, provided it has been issued within the last 15 years) or a passport card.

It is tradition. Just like no university give diploma in form of a high tech card

My wife was actually given a small laminated copy (the size of a credit card) of her BA diploma. It's not exactly high tech, bit a pretty good idea nonetheless.

Carry copy of passport along with original passport when traveling overseas. As an added precaution, register with US embassy/consulate in foreign country. Carry passport card as additional proof of US citizenship.
Carry notarized copy of naturalization certificate to close any gap. and above all, stop worrying and enjoy vacation. If you are visiting home country, you canleave everything home/in a safe place and not carry passport, etc. Take driving license with you or any other form of photo ID; which even if lost, will not need replacement to enter US.
For passport renewal, a birth/naturalization certificate along with expired passport is needed for minors (under age of 18 years), not for adults (over age of 18). Also, for minors validity of passport is 5 years instead of 10 years for adults and both parents/guardian have to be present when applying for minor's passport; and no such requirement when applying for adult's passport. :)

For passport renewal, a birth/naturalization certificate along with expired passport is needed for minors (under age of 18 years), not for adults (over age of 18). Also, for minors validity of passport is 5 years instead of 10 years for adults and both parents/guardian have to be present when applying for minor's passport; and no such requirement when applying for adult's passport. :)

This is incorrect - a birth/naturalization certificate is NOT needed for renewal of childrens' passports. An expired passport is good enough. Please read the instructions for DS-11 (form to be used by minors to renew passport)

APPLICANTS BORN IN THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate.
APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below.

This is what I did. Made a clear, color copy of naturalization certificate, passport book and passport card. Kept one copy with brother (who is also a citizen and lives in a different city), and one more in my flash drive. When I travel overseas, I just take my passport book, passport card and the flash drive, keeping them seperate from each other. In case I loose the passport book, I have backup evidence to show the nearest US Consulate and get another passport to fly back to USA. As for the original naturalization certificate, I kept it a safe locker. I don't need to touch it unless I have to and I don't take it with me when travelling.

nkm-oct23 said:
Not sure about that. Though I never re-apply for passport for myself I did that more than once for kids. Everytime I had to send thier birth certificate
Read instructions for DS-82 - this is a form used to renew passport book/card by mail. The only documents accepted for DS-82 are undamaged passport book/card. If you want to renew passport with the naturalisation certificate, you must use DS-11, go to a post office and pay processing fees.

Post office is known to lose documents on some occasions, so the naturalisation certificate should be the last document to be sent for a passport renewal. For citizens born in the USA it is much easier because they can get as many certified copies of their birth certificates as they want, and it costs about $10 each. For us, it takes about $400 and 6+ months to get a naturalisation certificate replacement. Plus, dealing with the USCIS after becoming a citizen is symbolically not a good thing, IMO.

WBH said:
König said:
I personally would prefer if there was a compact citizenship card (ID-1 type) similar to the national ID cards used in Europe ... ... Current American naturalisation certificate looks like something from the 19th century.
It is tradition. Just like no university give diploma in form of a high tech card
No university? Are you talking about US universities only? The universities in my native country give plastic diplomas in ID-2 format (7.4 x 10.5 cm). They have no less validity than large paper diplomas that you frame and hang on your wall. It is not like traditional appearance give documents some additional assurance.

This is incorrect - a birth/naturalization certificate is NOT needed for renewal of childrens' passports. An expired passport is good enough. Please read the instructions for DS-11 (form to be used by minors to renew passport)

APPLICANTS BORN IN THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate.
APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below.

it is true for adult passports (for renewals). For minors (those who are under age of 18) the requirement for new passport/passport renewals is same across US;Both parents/Guardian(s) must be present, minor child must be present, expired passport (for renewals) AND either naturalization certificate or birth certificate (original, not a copy). This has been the case since last three passports we have received for our child, last one being in May.
I agree that it is not listed in the requirements on web site but, you will be asked for original birth certificate or naturalization certificate for minor applicant. Also, there is no provision of renewal by mail for minor applicant.

If you already has a passport and you can apply for a newone with the old one even expired, does it mean in theory certificate of naturalization is no more necesarily useful so even if you lose it, don't need to pay to get a relacement?