Do you keep your immigrant filing documents after becoming a Citizen

blue_can

Registered Users (C)
I was recently clearing up a lot of old paperwork and came across my green card filing paperwork - copies which were given to me by my lawyer during the process. Of course as I'm sure it is the case for most it is a lot of paperwork.

I was wondering if there is any logic in hanging on to it and so was curious if other on here discard them and or keep them. I spoke to my lawyer and he says that immigration keeps a hardcopy file with all the paperwork and copies can be obtained if ever needed so he feels there is no need for me to keep my copies. So I'm thinking of destroying them but was wondering what others do.

I have been thinking about this for a bit now since even before my USC interview. I have been in this country for 23 years and just got my citizenship. I have been legal every day since I first arrived here so you can imagine how many things I have in my immigration file. And for some reason, as foolish as I was as a youngster, I managed to save every INS notice, card, application copy, etc. I have decided that I am going to scan all the original notices and save them on my computer. I will shred any copies of applications etc. then I will take the folder of originals and place it somewhere in a corner of my closet. If its stays there, great, if it goes missing, I have color scans saved IF I ever need them.

Honestly though, if I decided to throw them away, what is the worst that can happen? I am curious to hear the scenarios from others because I am sure there are many out there

Yes I guess scanning and then throwing away the originals is a good option to reduce the paper clutter. Probably have to get it scanned elsewhere as I have a flatbed photo scanner and it is going to take forever to scan it on there.

You can also file a FOIA request with the USCIS and elect to receive the file as scanned pdf on a CD. This way, you can have the USCIS work for you for a change... :)

Remember to make backups.

Your FOIA request doesn't guarantee you get EVERYTHING, and stuff can be blacked out. Don't trust it. For a feed-scanner, go to a Kinko's, or maybe you have one at work? I did it at work. It sucks it all in one by one. Of course, most people just shred most of it and scan important/interesting/sentimental stuff. I'm just anal...

Thanks guys - good points about using a feed scanner. Actually I'm now thinking of buying a decent scanner capable of scanning multiple pages and going paperless for the stuff that still comes in paper formats such as bills and other mailings. So overall I'm thinking it would be a good strategy for all my documents.

You're right. You can get a printer-scanner-copier-fax thing for under $50. Even if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on ink refills, the scanner will really come in handy.

Bit OT from immigration matters but regarding scanners - I did some investigation and while there are cheap scanners or multifunction units a lot of reviews about them are not good - for example some of the cheaper scanners with ability to scan multiple pages seem to have poor feed mechanisms thus feeding more than one page at a time sometimes or scrunching up the originals. A poor printer is one thing but one would hardly want originals damaged while scanning. Seems like one needs to spend $300 -$ 400 for a decent scanner which I personally don't mind doing if it will be good for several years. These ones can also scan multiple photos which is also nice as I have a bunch of old photos from film which I want to scan into digital format. Some models come with some software to create a virtual bookcase with binders to place your scanned papers. Overall I do like the going to paperless idea.