Do you guys recommend getting an attorney to file my N-400?

injunguy

Registered Users (C)
I searched the forums but could not find an answer to this query. I think I have a pretty straightforward case after taking a look at the N-400 application form. Does it make sense for me to apply myself or get an attorney just so that I don't have to deal with any paperwork?

I always use a lawyer when dealing with the USCIS....I don't know if it helped but when I applied for citizenship it only took 7 months to do it all and I never had a request for additonal information. Everything went very smooth and fast.

I have referred my lawyer to a number of people and I was extremely please with the help her firm gave me and with the speed in which all my questions were answered.

If your cases if simple you will not need a lawyer. My husband just did his in january of this year his already finished with the whole process.

Unlike getting a Green Card, the N-400 is pretty straight forward. The only people I've heard that have spend the money for a lawyer are ones that have issues on their N-400 (Criminal, overstaying outside the US too long etc).

Don't waste your money as all the lawyer will do is save you 15 mins filling out the N-400 for you and that is about it...

I always use a lawyer when dealing with the USCIS....I don't know if it helped but when I applied for citizenship it only took 7 months to do it all and I never had a request for additonal information. Everything went very smooth and fast.

I have referred my lawyer to a number of people and I was extremely please with the help her firm gave me and with the speed in which all my questions were answered.

Hi Privateer, if you don't mind could you give us a ball park figure range of total cost of obtaining citizenship through lawyer.

I searched the forums but could not find an answer to this query. I think I have a pretty straightforward case after taking a look at the N-400 application form. Does it make sense for me to apply myself or get an attorney just so that I don't have to deal with any paperwork?

Do it yourself if you don't have criminal history. :D

No offense, but a lawyer is an overpaid paper-pusher for most "regular" N-400 cases. Most people who are capable of filling in simple forms really do not need one, as there is little value-added to the process. That said, you should get one involved if there is anything in your immigration history that could result in unexpected deportation; e.g. criminal conviction, possible GC abandonment issues etc, etc.

Even sponsoring someone for a family-based GC doesn't really require a lawyer. Employment based applications are another matter entirely...

Unless you answer yes to any of the criminal background questions, have a complicated employment history (didn't work for sponsor, or stuff like that), things mentioned by boatbod, you won't need a lawyer. Straightforward case you can do it yourself. If you have any doubts about something in your past that might affect your application (please don't tell us) do consult a lawyer. 90% plus of the people in this forum have done N-400 themselves.

My 2 cents.

If you do not have any criminal history or similar, just download the M-476 A Guide To Naturalization, the N-400 instructions and the N-400 form itself. After looking at the instructions and the guide, see whether you can fill it yourself. It should be quite straightforward.

This first attempt may be a "blank" so you can get familiarized (Where do I sign? Do I sign here? How do I sign? How do I count the days outside the country? etc.) Take time to check and double-check - You may remember "Oh, I went once to Canada for the weekend, I need to add it".

By then, either you will find it was such a tremendous/horrendous job to fill out 10 pages that you prefer handing it to a lawyer or more realistically you will just decide to file by yourself and finalize the application.

If your case is straightforward do it yourself. Most people on this forum including myself have done it themselves.

There were a couple of cases where they employed a lawyer who screwed up things.

I did it myself and I got through the whole process in around 5 months without problems.

No, you don't need a lawyer unless you have complications. If you do get a lawyer, use him/her as a consultant, and don't get them in the middle of the process. As has been mentioned, inserting a lawyer into the paper trail can cause screw ups.

We answered one question "yes" (on my wife's application). I phoned a lawyer, and after a little research she suggested what documentation was needed to explain it away. That was the only thing the lawyer did.

If you are not entirely comfortable with doing it all by yourself, you can still make the attempt and fill in the forms yourself, then pay a lawyer $200 or something like that for a 1-hour consultation to review the application and make corrections in case you misinterpreted any of the questions or made any other mistakes. Otherwise, having the lawyer process it end-to-end is a waste of money unless you have issues like a criminal record.

I had a simple case and I did it myself. Application was processed normally and I'm now a US citizen. As many others have said, N400 is very easy if you don't have any complications.

would a lawyer help with "not working for GC sponsor" issues

Will be any help to have a imm lawyer for "not working (long enough or at all) for sponsor after GC" type of issues at interview?