Do we report all 15 years of Trips outside the country in Application N-400?

LongTermGC

Registered Users (C)
This question arose when I was filling out N-400: Part 7 (C).

Ever since my Continuous Residence was established again in 2005 I was only 100 days out of the country in the last 5 years. Do I need to supply all the trips since I became resident in 1995? I am not sure if I can get all the dates that far? Are the last 5 years of trip details sufficient for the N-400 application purposes instead of going all the way back to 1995?

In 2002 I had 1 trip out of the country which lasted more than 6 months and broke my continuous residency. Do I need to go that far and include this trip in this list as well?

A quick reply would be appreciated

Hmm, the isnstructions say you have to list ALL trips since you became an LPR, so it looks like you have to try and remember as much as you can. If you can't remember exact dates, list approximate ones, since they won't count for your continuous residence/physical presence on this application. During your interview, explain the case.

Part 7 of N-400 application is the section where you mention your trips. The questions A and B clearly states information needed for last 5 years. Question C asks for details of each trip. That clearly means total days reported at 7 A and 7 B match with details given in 7 C.

I had trips since 2000 and I got GC in 2005. I had only two trips between GC and N-400 application and that is what I reported. There was no problem in getting approval and IO did not ask any thing outside 5 years window. Hope that helps.

Part 7 of N-400 application is the section where you mention your trips. The questions A and B clearly states information needed for last 5 years. Question C asks for details of each trip. That clearly means total days reported at 7 A and 7 B match with details given in 7 C.

I had trips since 2000 and I got GC in 2005. I had only two trips between GC and N-400 application and that is what I reported. There was no problem in getting approval and IO did not ask any thing outside 5 years window. Hope that helps.

Page 4 of the N-400, Part 7 C asks:

List below all the trips of 24 hours or more that you have taken outside the United States since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident.

I think it's pretty clear that USCIS wants information on all your trips (since gaining LPR status), not just the recent 5 years. In your case you became an LPR in 2005 so they are not interested in your trips between 2000 and 2005, or before you became an LPR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Page 4 of the N-400, Part 7 C asks:

List below all the trips of 24 hours or more that you have taken outside the United States since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident.

I think it's pretty clear that USCIS wants information on all your trips (since gaining LPR status), not just the recent 5 years. In your case you became an LPR in 2005 so they are not interested in your trips between 2000 and 2005, or before you became an LPR.

You are right to some extent.
But 7 A and 7 B states 5 year. I think 7 C will need details of what is summarized in 7 A and 7 B. Providing more information is not bad.

Actually this part I bolded above in your statement is not true. As in the OP's situation, he has had his GC for over 15 years and so 7C can easily include trips outside of what is covered in 7A and 7B. Another situation is someone who got his GC through marriage and applies for naturalization after three years of having GC. Here 7C covers the last three years whereas 7A and 7B would cover trips from the last five years. So in both these cases, 7C does not necessarily match what is in 7A and 7B.

LongTermGC, try to work out all your trips as best as you can. Maybe look through stamps in your current and past passports to help jog your memory and also capture details. I would definitely try to get the last five years (7A and 7B) down pat and also be able to prove it via stamps in your current passport (and your prior one if you got a new passport within the last five years). For the 7C table details, I would just fill in details that covered all the trips in 7A and 7B for sure and then as many of the ones prior to these as possible. Good luck!

Except I think the OP became an LPR in 1995, at least that is what I interpreted his statement to be when he said that he became a resident in 1995.

Except I think the OP became an LPR in 1995, at least that is what I interpreted his statement to be when he said that he became a resident in 1995.

That is true. I became LPR in 1995 and my main question was whether I need to be
1) Comprehensive enough in listing the trips before 2005 (I understand that for 7A and 7B purposes I have to be 100% accurate)
2) List all the trips between 1995 and 2005, even though they are before my 5 year window (2005-2010) of Contuous Residency time?

Appreciate all the detailed replies

For part 7C you LIST all the trips since becoming a permanent resident, even if you have been an LPR for 40 years, but COUNT only the trips in the past 5 years for answering A and B.

For someone applying with the 3-year marriage rule, they would only COUNT the trips in the last 3 years for A and B, but still list everything for C.

And regardless of what basis you are applying, you neither list nor count any time you spent outside the US before becoming a permanent resident. So if you are applying at 90 days before 5 years of LPR status, you would have 90 days pre-GC if you look back 5 years, but you would not list or count those pre-GC days.

Last edited by a moderator:
For part 7C you LIST all the trips since becoming a permanent resident, even if you have been an LPR for 40 years, but COUNT only the trips in the past 5 years for answering A and B.

For someone applying with the 3-year marriage rule, they would only COUNT the trips in the last 3 years for A and B, but still list everything for C.

And regardless of what basis you are applying, you neither list nor count any time you spent outside the US before becoming a permanent resident. So if you are applying at 90 days before 5 years of LPR status, you would have 90 days pre-GC if you look back 5 years, but you would not list or count those pre-GC days.

this is correct. the answers you provide in A and B are from subsets of C, if that makes it easier to understand with the qualifications stated above.