Do we need to let Social Security know about citizenship status ?

IMO, social security wont care about you what you are and where you are until you are retired and start withdrawing your SS benefits (if anything is left :) ). Thats when you establish an account with them, sort of..

Till then all they care about is SS taxes from your payroll.

gaurav2005 said:
IMO, social security wont care about you what you are and where you are until you are retired and start withdrawing your SS benefits (if anything is left :) ). Thats when you establish an account with them, sort of..

Till then all they care about is SS taxes from your payroll.
with all due respect gaurav, but you are wrong!
Kind, once you get naturalized , you have to inform the social security office for your own benefits! some benefits are offered solely to US citizens. Check with the SS office, it doesn't hurt to give them a call or check their website. I heard from some people that it's much better to inform them once you are a USC.
good luck

buster said:
You will be given instructions on what to do with SS at your naturilization ceremony.

Are you sure? When I had a ceremony nobody mentioned a word about that. Neither was anything in writing...

I am going for ceremony on Friday, and I was told by the officer that interviewed me to make sure I got there on time, because they would be giving me instructions on what to change after becoming a cit - they eluded to SS stuff.

I will report back after my oath on Friday and let you know what they said about this.

Actually with our interview letter they sent us a SS form and Last week when we had our oath in SAN ANTONIO, they collected those forms and verified them whether every thing is all right. Those SS folks tolds us it will take couple of weeks to get the new SS cards.

Kind_SD said:
Once we get naturalized ?
Does it matter ??
TIA
You have to notify the social security office once you become a USC. As long as you did not change your name during or after the naturalization process and/or your current SS card does not contain anything on there saying "authorized for employment" - you will probably not get a new card. I notified the SS office when I became a USC, and they did update their database (they will need proof of USC - either your naturalization certificate and DL or US Passport and DL). The whole process took about 10 mins at the SS office.

vlmeda said:
Actually with our interview letter they sent us a SS form and Last week when we had our oath in SAN ANTONIO, they collected those forms and verified them whether every thing is all right. Those SS folks tolds us it will take couple of weeks to get the new SS cards.
I guess this is something new. But it's a smart idea. That way you wouldn't have to worry about updating your SS records.

According to Social Security Administration, you should update your record with them.
This is what they say on their web site:

"What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?
If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship."

Source: SSA Record Update