1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do we need to let Social Security know about citizenship status ?

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by Kind_SD, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. Kind_SD

    Kind_SD Registered Users (C)

    Once we get naturalized ?
    Does it matter ??
  2. gaurav2005

    gaurav2005 Registered Users (C)

    IMO, social security wont care about you what you are and where you are until you are retired and start withdrawing your SS benefits (if anything is left :) ). Thats when you establish an account with them, sort of..

    Till then all they care about is SS taxes from your payroll.
  3. sony55

    sony55 Banned

    with all due respect gaurav, but you are wrong!
    Kind, once you get naturalized , you have to inform the social security office for your own benefits! some benefits are offered solely to US citizens. Check with the SS office, it doesn't hurt to give them a call or check their website. I heard from some people that it's much better to inform them once you are a USC.
    good luck
  4. buster

    buster Registered Users (C)

    You will be given instructions on what to do with SS at your naturilization ceremony.
  5. n400la

    n400la Registered Users (C)

    Are you sure? When I had a ceremony nobody mentioned a word about that. Neither was anything in writing...
  6. buster

    buster Registered Users (C)

    I am going for ceremony on Friday, and I was told by the officer that interviewed me to make sure I got there on time, because they would be giving me instructions on what to change after becoming a cit - they eluded to SS stuff.

    I will report back after my oath on Friday and let you know what they said about this.
  7. vlmeda

    vlmeda Registered Users (C)

    Actually with our interview letter they sent us a SS form and Last week when we had our oath in SAN ANTONIO, they collected those forms and verified them whether every thing is all right. Those SS folks tolds us it will take couple of weeks to get the new SS cards.
  8. fitness99

    fitness99 Registered Users (C)

    You have to notify the social security office once you become a USC. As long as you did not change your name during or after the naturalization process and/or your current SS card does not contain anything on there saying "authorized for employment" - you will probably not get a new card. I notified the SS office when I became a USC, and they did update their database (they will need proof of USC - either your naturalization certificate and DL or US Passport and DL). The whole process took about 10 mins at the SS office.
  9. Anahit

    Anahit Registered Users (C)

    I guess this is something new. But it's a smart idea. That way you wouldn't have to worry about updating your SS records.
  10. hm11

    hm11 Registered Users (C)

    According to Social Security Administration, you should update your record with them.
    This is what they say on their web site:

    "What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?
    If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship."

    Source: SSA Record Update

Share This Page