Do we have to report membership with professional and acedamic organization

I did disclose all my affiliations, even AAA. It's you call with which one you are affiliated.

Will it cause serious problem if I miss some? Will the IO ask for memebership proof? I threw them away and I don't want trouble to contact these organization to get proof of old memeberships.

GEEZ.

Had I knew this, I would have done nothing but eat, sleep as a PR

Will it cause serious problem if I miss some? Will the IO ask for memebership proof? I threw them away and I don't want trouble to contact these organization to get proof of old memeberships.

GEEZ.

Had I knew this, I would have done nothing but eat, sleep as a PR

I doubt they will be too concerned with your membership in AAA.

I doubt they will be too concerned with your membership in AAA.

AAA is OK. But If put down some names of organizations. If the IO
has never heard of them, would he think he need to check these
organization out? Or he just use common sense to
just think organizations names like "XXXX medical association", "Whatever Software User Club" are benevelent?

The point in the question is that they are looking to see if you belong to any organizations or associations that have links to terrorism, communism, etc. Omitting AAA membership is not an issue, but omitting membership (if applicable) in organizations which such ties is.

What about professional desgination such as with the State Board? I received it in Dec 2007 so I will need to update at interview. Will this cause a delay such as the IO having to have supervisor approval and then the application sitting on someones desk forever?

Thank you :)

Once you tell the IO at interview he/she will update your application. Membership in state boards would not cause extra delays in the processing.

explanation for membership?

On the naturalization form, it says "attach an explanation for Questions 1-14 if you answer yes to any". Does this mean that we need to write an explanation for any affiliations we have? Or is simply listing the names of associations sufficient? it's a bit confusing.

LOL

I did that....Sports Club, German Life Guards, Trade Union.

Was a no brainer and the IO didn't care. I asked him how deep he can dive etc and that made him shut up.

Now well, I never had any party affiliation. That would have been interesting considering the time I came over to the US, but since (as a German) we already have to answer the nice question about Nazi affiliation on I-94, I doubt this to be of any weight.

I wasn't even born then and (math check) to do anything with authority you'd be dead by now. Even if you were 20 at the end of the War, that would make one 89 now and I do think there are only very few people left.

Nopie

was all 100% legal and not political. Didn't mention Church as I had left by the time. Possibly should have, but then it is by default in Germany, if the parents are in the Church and IMHO that's a club too.

If you answer yes you must list any organization inlcuding religious social athletic clubs. If you list membership in a communist or pro-communist or terrorist groups you are ineligible for citizenship. There's nothing wrong with writing "None" if that is the truth because some people just don't have any formal active memberships in any associations. (This was what I was told by my advisor).

Previous membership in a pro-communist group does not automatically preclude one from naturalization.

Assuming such memembership is disclosed in green card application
and the applicant aply for a waiver for inadmissibility.

In green card application, most of the people simply choose not tro disclose and I personally belive USCIS
realize this but choose to adopt "do not bother" attitude. although a very few who do disclose get a few month
delay and often skip the waiver procedure. It is not practical to simply apply this criteria any more in case of
countries like China - Most college students were at least in Youth League and most if not all answer No to that
question USCIS either stop issueing green card to them or stop bothering whether they answer truthfully or not

There is a common sense in law enforcement. If enough people do something punishable, then it is not
punishable any more. Don't brag how honest and saintly you are when everyone else is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am listing American Contract Bridge League.

However... if you answer yes, you are required to attach a written form explaining why you answered yes, is that right? So can I just say "Because I love to play bridge" ?

I am listing American Contract Bridge League.

However... if you answer yes, you are required to attach a written form explaining why you answered yes, is that right? So can I just say "Because I love to play bridge" ?

No you don't have to attatch anything, they will just ask you in the interview what it means...