Do we have a red flag because we didn't have a weeding?

AnnieK.

Registered Users (C)
Can I say on the interview that my husband propose to me because i had to leave USA in 5 days?

So, that is the truth. After a devastating night accompanied with tears and fear about our relationship, my now husband called me the next morning, and told me to get ready because he scheduled appointment for us to get married. So that was not a real proposal. We went just two of us and since we were dating just a little over two months we didn't say to anyone of our family or friends. Eventually the news got revealed and fortunately both sides were happy about it. It has been year and a half and due to financial issues we still haven't done a wedding like we planed. Will this going to give us a red flag at the interview or we should just be honest and tell the story? Thank you for your advice.

I don't think it would be a wise idea to tell the folks at USCIS that you only got married because you were supposed to leave their country. Technically it would appear that at that point the sole purpose of you marrying was to circumvent immigration laws so that you can receive immigration benefits (read: sham marriage) and they will see this (if you tell them that story) and deny you faster than you can finish said story.

I'm not saying your relationship isn't real or that you and your husband do not love each other. I'm just saying that what you have written above is cause for a green card denial so I would rethink telling the immigration officers that.

Good luck with everything.

What matters a lot more than your wedding or lack thereof is what you've been doing since you got married one and a half years ago. Did you leave the US within 5 days after you got married, and you've been waiting outside the US for your green card interview? If you stayed in the US all along, have you been living together since you got married? Why has it taken one and a half years to get an interview?

I have been living with my husband all this time and we just recently moved in a different state (where his parents are). It took a little longer because i lost my passport and had to wait a couple of months for a new one. Plus, I didn't got really lucky with my lawyer. He took our money in December 2012 and he filed our case on August 2013...!

Will this moving in a different state will help our case?

It is a legal wedding. Just that you did not have a ceremony. I know a couple that only had a legal wedding and that too in Vegas. She just got approve for removal of her conditional green card.

You need to show enough proof that you live together, show pictures, show lease documents or any other kind of proof that you can.