do new US citizens get extra questioning when returning to the US for the first time?

Vyacheslav

Registered Users (C)
I will finally leave the US on a short int'l trip... first one after becoming a US citizen last month. do new US citizens get extra questioning when returning to the US for the first time? the CBP officer will obviously see that I have a brand new passport. :D

I travelled about 2 weeks after getting my new passport and the officer asked me on reentry when the passport was issued. At least I think that's what he asked. I forget if the qn was when I became a usc!!

They usually ask just one question - of what country you are a citizen of.
Sometimes they ask when you became a citizen, if they hear your accent.

That is always the same, first time or 1000th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will finally leave the US on a short int'l trip... first one after becoming a US citizen last month. do new US citizens get extra questioning when returning to the US for the first time? the CBP officer will obviously see that I have a brand new passport. :D

I doubt it. For all they know you could have been a citizen for many years and just renewed your passport. Though they probably have information about your naturalization.

they can ask what ever they want no one can do anything they can even ask u personal questions and give u dirty looks u cant do crapo cus they r immigration/government. if u talk back they take u to a room and question u as if ur a terrorist. im a girl so dont think im speaking of personsal experience cus i dont argue or have any reason to argue..just telling u what happens. just try to smile and stay cool lol

They usually ask just one question - of what country you are a citizen of.
Sometimes they ask when you became a citizen, if they hear your accent.

That is always the same, first time or 1000th.

I'll probably just reply: "can't you read? it's right thre on my U.S. passport!" :mad:

(although it's probably a bad way to reply to a CBP officer's questions :D )

This is exactly the type of answer that could lead to your deportation. A long delay is anoher option, and in that case you will not be compensated for several hours wait, tied up to a chair. They will have to check that passport is actually yours (and it is not so obvious), and that you can actually read what is written in it. Reading is a basic skill required for naturalization. Without that your naturalization could not be possible. Any attempt to show you do not read English might create additional problems.

This is exactly the type of answer that could lead to your deportation. A long delay is anoher option, and in that case you will not be compensated for several hours wait, tied up to a chair. They will have to check that passport is actually yours (and it is not so obvious), and that you can actually read what is written in it. Reading is a basic skill required for naturalization. Without that your naturalization could not be possible. Any attempt to show you do not read English might create additional problems.

you forgot to mention the body cavity search................... :D :D :D

or worse, a free one-way flight to Gitmo! :eek:

Body cavity search is usually done by a Customs official, not by an immigration official. Immigration official stops questioning when he is satisfied with your being a US citizen, while Customs officer may continue questioning after that.

CBP officer didn't ask anything the time I first used my new US passport. He just said "welcome home" and that was it.

INS field manual, 1997:

12.3 Oral Testimony.
It must be emphasized that in many instances where a United States passport is not statutorily required of an
arriving citizen applicant, a person may establish United States citizenship by oral statements. The
recommended question, "Of what country are you a citizen?" is difficult to improve upon. The awkward form of
the question challenges the respondent -- in a subtle way -- to reveal an understanding of the English language.
Hesitancy and confusion may reflect an unfamiliarity with the language. This type of inquiry demands a
thoughtful, active response. The psychological advantage of subtly placing the applicant momentarily at a
disadvantage (requiring the applicant to "think"), is a valuable tool in uncovering false claims to United States
citizenship. An inquiry such as: "You're all Americans, aren't you?", is far less likely to elicit a useful response.

CBP field manual, 2008

12.3 Oral Testimony.
It must be emphasized that in many instances where a United States passport is not statutorily required of an arriving citizen applicant, a person may establish United States citizenship by oral statements. [WITHHELD]

In the times we live, it does not pay to be a smart a$$! I recently came back from a several weeks business trip. The officer said welcome back and asked me how long I was out. I cheerfully replied and he waived me off.

These guys have an excessive sense of importance about themselves, like most government employees. Has anyone noticed the sign on their little boxes. Wait behind the yellow line until "summoned"! That itself tells a lot. Most overseas immigration department's have improved, but not the US. They are very agressive towards tourists and visitors. No wonder, the world's opinion about us has gone down post 9/11.

Deport you where?

You are a US citizen so they can't deport you unless you did something very bad before getting US citizenship and failed to mention it on your N400.
Sometimes they deport US citizens, as I already mentioned, even though it is illegal. They have to pay huge settlements later. Where - it is a question. In case the person states he was born in a specific country, they could deport him there.

Body cavity search is usually done by a Customs official, not by an immigration official. Immigration official stops questioning when he is satisfied with your being a US citizen, while Customs officer may continue questioning after that.

There is no longer any such distinction at the POE. All officers are part of Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Prior to the creation of DHS, there were INS and Customs agents at the border posts, but no longer.

There is no longer any such distinction at the POE. All officers are part of Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Prior to the creation of DHS, there were INS and Customs agents at the border posts, but no longer
Could be. I am not sure. They could have specific responcibilities within CBP