Do I need to disclose dual citizenship in citizenship interview?

cyn

Was anybody every asked in the citizenship interview about dual citizenship? Do you have to disclose that? Or just not mention it if they don't ask? Will they ask?

I have my interview next Tuesday. I applied with Germany to be allowed to keep my German citizenship and have the certificate in my hand, so if I become US citizen I'll have dual citizenship.

Do I have to mention this in my US citizenship interview? I read 'no ask, no tell' everywhere here. Is that the way to handle it?

Thanks for answering, great forum, thanks everybody for sharing!

Was anybody every asked in the citizenship interview about dual citizenship? Do you have to disclose that? Or just not mention it if they don't ask? Will they ask?

I have my interview next Tuesday. I applied with Germany to be allowed to keep my German citizenship and have the certificate in my hand, so if I become US citizen I'll have dual citizenship.

Do I have to mention this in my US citizenship interview? I read 'no ask, no tell' everywhere here. Is that the way to handle it?

no

I mentioned both my citizenships on my N-400 form. The adjudicator was not interested in finding more about it.

The IO will likely not ask, but if he/she unexpectedly does, just mention it (you are under oath). I also am a dual citizen German/US, and I got my BBG before filing my N-400. It never came up with the US side.

You may also want to subscribe to the zweipaesse newsgroup at yahoo, there is a lot of information for German dual citizens.

Rick,

there is no space to put that down on the N-400 and the BBG process is very unique to Germany. The IO MAY ask, but it has no consequences.

...and due to the BBG requirements (if so desired) zweipaesse is a better source of information.

I passed my interview today - thanks everybody!

Thanks everybody again, I passed my interview today in Chula Vista, California. My oath ceremony is already next week!

It was a good experience for me, I should not have worried so much before :eek:) The officer conducting my interview was very casual and we had a nice talk, and all the questions were fair and easy to answer. 45 minutes after I arrived I was already out the door again.

I agree, the ZweiPaesse forum is an excellent place for Germans who are looking for dual citizenship info. They helped me get my 'Doppelte Staatsbuergerschaft' certificate.

I also found a great website which helped me prepare for the US citizenship interview. They have lots of helpful information and .mp3's of the new 100 questions you can listen to when driving your car or walking your dog and learn easily. It's uscitizenpod.com, they really deserve all the credit that I was so well prepared for my interview!

Thanks everybody again, and I'm happy to help others if I can!

Thanks everybody again, I passed my interview today in Chula Vista, California. My oath ceremony is already next week!

It was a good experience for me, I should not have worried so much before :eek:) The officer conducting my interview was very casual and we had a nice talk, and all the questions were fair and easy to answer. 45 minutes after I arrived I was already out the door again.

I agree, the ZweiPaesse forum is an excellent place for Germans who are looking for dual citizenship info. They helped me get my 'Doppelte Staatsbuergerschaft' certificate.

I also found a great website which helped me prepare for the US citizenship interview. They have lots of helpful information and .mp3's of the new 100 questions you can listen to when driving your car or walking your dog and learn easily. It's uscitizenpod.com, they really deserve all the credit that I was so well prepared for my interview!

Thanks everybody again, and I'm happy to help others if I can!

Herzlichen Glückwunsch! :)