Difficult AOS interview at Garden City, NY

Yes

Yes, I and my new wife were married in 3/2006 and she applied and successfuly obtained F-1 visa in 4/2007 while truthfully declaring every thing about my GC and her father/mother and sister GC and USC status in DS-156 and ds 157. At that time I was with her visiting. When she eneterd US, I was also with her. As long as she held a valid visa and been inspected at the border, she should not have any problem in AOS. Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I and my new wife were married in 3/2006 and she applied and successfuly obtained F-1 visa in 4/2007 while truthfully declaring every thing about my GC and her father/mother and sister GC and USC status in DS-156 and ds 157. At that time I was with her visiting. When she eneterd US, I was also with her. As long as she held a valid visa and been inspected at the border, she should not have any problem in AOS. Correct?
You shouldn't have problems due to her entering with an F-1, given the full disclosure prior to entering, and she didn't something really blatant like file AOS one week after entering with the F-1. But you can still have problems for other reasons, like what is happening now, due to having red flags similar in appearance to a fraud case.

Latest Update on The Difficult Interview

Today, I receievd the status update as follows: Please read below. I do have follow up questions:

"On January 25, 2010, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

This step applies to applications that result in an applicant receiving a card (such as a green card) or other document (such as a naturalization certificate, refugee travel documents or advance parole). Applications will be in this step from the time the order to produce the card/document is given until the card/document is produced and mailed to the applicant. You can expect to receive your card/document within 30 days of the approval of your application.

Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your decision. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our Web site to determine if this applies to your local office.

If you do not receive your document, please contact our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283."

Now the follow up questions:

1. If this is really really the approval of I-485, what do we do with the original I-94, EAD and AP we have, since it seems that we shall; not be making any more trips to CIS office in this regard.

2. How many people who received this KIND of emails either get their green card very late or never altogather. I hope the percentage is small but there must be some. And in that case, what shall be our next step.

3. If we do receieve the Green Card, how long do we have to wait to receive the actual physical card.

4. We have a foreign trip planned in Feb, if we do not receive the card in time, can we get a I-551 stamp in passport showing the copy of this status update.

Thanks for every one who listened and contributed to this thread.

Congratulations. Seems like its been approved.

1. If this is really really the approval of I-485, what do we do with the original I-94, EAD and AP we have, since it seems that we shall; not be making any more trips to CIS office in this regard.
Not so fast.. you dont need the i-94, EAD or AP (The greencard replaces all three of them)...but in 1 year and 9 months you'll prolly be applying to remove conditions for your wife's conditional greencard...

2. How many people who received this KIND of emails either get their green card very late or never altogather. I hope the percentage is small but there must be some. And in that case, what shall be our next step.
Don't know. I received mine about a week or so after such status update.

3. If we do receieve the Green Card, how long do we have to wait to receive the actual physical card.
The green card is the actual physical card. Unless they now implant a chip in the new immigrants' hand..which i havent heard of :D

4. We have a foreign trip planned in Feb, if we do not receive the card in time, can we get a I-551 stamp in passport showing the copy of this status update.
In my case, i tried doing that since i had to go to an offshore rig (US border patrol requires passport to re-enter US from an offshore vessel), but the immigration officer (in new orleans, LA) refused and asked me to gt a letter from my employer that shows i need that stamp. This was only a few days before getting the card in the mail. So if you do go get a stamp, take a copy of your itinerary with you to provide a valid reason to get a stamp instead of having to wait on the actual card to arrive. Or they can be nice enough and stamp it without any questions asked.

Congratulations. Seems like its been approved.

Not so fast.. you dont need the i-94, EAD or AP (The greencard replaces all three of them)...but in 1 year and 9 months you'll prolly be applying to remove conditions for your wife's conditional greencard...

Thanks for prompt response. But as you can see that I married my current wife in 2006, more than two year ago. My wife shall be getting a 10 year card and not a two year card. Right? What are her chances of receiving a 2 yr and not 10 yr card? and why?

One strange thing happened was that I sent copies of natz cert and my second baby birth cert by priority signature confirmation. The signature confirmation receipt states time of Delivery at USCIS Garden City at 2:04PM and the email I receievd for card production is timed 2:15PM. Lightning fast response and approval from USCIS. Is that really really possible or just a stroke of luck?

I didn't know your wife was married to you in 2006. I guess in such case she likely will have a 10-year card, God Willing.

I think the decision was irrelevant to the documents you further provided. If they really do respond so fast, i expect them to approve my just-submitted i-751 :D

I think the decision was irrelevant to the documents you further provided. If they really do respond so fast, i expect them to approve my just-submitted i-751 :D

Thanks for the best wishes. See my time line please. It took me 11 months back in 2004 to get I-751 approved. Now a days, on Obama directive, they are approving I-751 at VSC in 4 months, which is much much better than previoulsy. You will get approved God willing in about 4 months total.

"On January 25, 2010, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.
Congrats, it's been approved. You should get the card within 1 or 2 weeks.

Keep them for your records. Sometimes USCIS loses files, and if you have these documents they may be useful if your spouse is caught in a situation (immigration detention, GC renewal, or naturalization) where USCIS is questioning the validity of the GC due to their internal mixups.

Congrats!!!

On January 25, 2010, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

Thanks. I will keep all the paper work with me. Hopefully they will send the card promptly. Now, I have to wait 2 yr 9 months to file her natz. I am global entry member (The CBP trusted traveller program), once i get the card, i will get her enrolled as well.