difference between K3 & IR1 0r CR1

patdev

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I want to know that what is the difference between K3 and IR1 or CR1 and which is better and faster way to get my wife here.

Thanks

Since you are asking about the K3/IR1/CR1, I am assuming you are a USC. IR/CR visas are to bring your spouse to the US. That usually takes about 18 months if you apply in the US. That wait can be shortened by applying for the K3 visa [I-129F] AFTER applying for the spouse visa [I-130]. K3 visa can be applied for only by a USC hence my initial assumption. IR means immediate relative and if you have been married for less than 2 years when you apply, your spouse will be given a CR [conditional residence] visa.

From your screenname, I am going to assume you are an Indian. In that case, I would suggest [if you are a USC] to go with your wife and apply, using the I-130, in New Delhi US consulate. That path usually takes about 3 months to get your wife to the US. Now if you have already sent your I-130 to an office in the US, it is best to apply for the fiance visa [I-129F].

You can get more info from the following links.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/spouselive.htm
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

Listen, I am not a lawyer but am a spouse waiting to join my hubby in the US. I have been reading a lot regarding the above visas. My hubby is a US citizen and we went to New Delhi together. There we were told we were not eligible to apply in Delhi because I do not stay in India [I only went there with my family for our wedding]. I was told that we could apply at the consulate covering my country of residence [Southern Africa] but since my hubby didn't have any more leave, he returned and applied in the US for me. He applied in June, 04 using I-130 in Texas SC and somehow mine was forwarded [by the SC] to California SC and was approved in Oct, 04. I am currently in the process of getting my visa. Meanwhile, my husband had applied for the fiance visa in July, 04. I just got notification last week that it had been approved! Since my I-130 is being processed, I will not need that now. I understand different Service Centres take different times so it also depends on where you are.

Hope this helps and good luck.

REgards
Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ann,

Thank you very much for the reply and got really good sense. I am us citizen and applied for the my wife she is in bombay and waiting for to come here now! i got approved I 130 and talked to my lawyer and he told me that to file for ir1 which will be faster than the k3 the date is running is december 4 2004 so it is about year to go! also you told me that you husband did file in texas and it go forwareded to california. it is the same case too with me i filled in texas but got forwarded to california as well!!

Also The I 130 is approved so what is the process is you hubby is going for now!!

thanks
Paresh

Some doubts

patdev said:
Hi ann,

Thank you very much for the reply and got really good sense. I am us citizen and applied for the my wife she is in bombay and waiting for to come here now! i got approved I 130 and talked to my lawyer and he told me that to file for ir1 which will be faster than the k3 the date is running is december 4 2004 so it is about year to go! also you told me that you husband did file in texas and it go forwareded to california. it is the same case too with me i filled in texas but got forwarded to california as well!!

Also The I 130 is approved so what is the process is you hubby is going for now!!

thanks
Paresh

I don't understand what you mean by "i got approved I 130 and talked to my lawyer and he told me that to file for ir1..........". If you have the I-797 for an approved I-130, it means that you have already filed for the IR visa!

Is 4th Dec 04 the priority date on your I-797 or did you mean to say that is the priority date for which applications are currently being attended to right now? What is your priority date? According the California SC schedule [https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/Processtimes.jsp?SeviceCenter=California] they are currenlty looking at applications with priority date 4th Jan 2005.

Like I said earlier, my I-130 was approved in Oct/Nov 04 and they sent me the DS-3032 [Choice of agent form] in Jan05 which I completed and sent back. Meanwhile my husband received the bill for the Affidavit of Support, paid and got the Affidavit of Support which he filled and sent back. Last week he got the bill for the DS-230 which he has already paid and now waiting for the DS-230 form to be sent to me. After I fill that form they will schedule me for the final interview at Johannesburg and that should be it. Hopefully I shall get notification of the interview in April.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ann

Yeah I am indain and USC too!! i have filed i130 and had approval notice also had fee bill reciept and paid that almost three weeks now and haven't got the package tht i suppose to get.

Does anyone have idea that how does it work and long does it take?

Thanks and also if any one can post their time series that would be helpful t get idea about how long will it take

thanks again

cr1 Visa

Hi:

My I-130 has been approved and forwarded to the NVC. Does anybody know how long it'll take from this point to actually get the visa? I've been looking up information on the subject and can't really find any. Anything anyone could tell me would be great. I read on this blog that it's around 18 months and that seems so excessive. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks