Did you take Attorney to the Interview?

rjo1

Registered Users (C)
I have my Interview scheduled Feb end. I am represented by an Attorney and I chose to go through one, even though my case is straight forward.

What was your experience?
Did your attorney speak at all in the Interview. If so, when and was he asked to clarify something for you?
Did the IO get an attitude becuase you have had an attorney?

Basically I am looking to know, what role your Attorney played in the Interview.

Thanks a lot.

Unless you have some major issue (arrests, long or frequent trips, etc), I don't see what an attorney will add to your interview. The interview process (at least mine and my wife's) is very straightforward (Dallas DO)

I agree

Flydog said:
Unless you have some major issue (arrests, long or frequent trips, etc), I don't see what an attorney will add to your interview. The interview process (at least mine and my wife's) is very straightforward (Dallas DO)
If the case is straight forward, lawyer may not be needed.

Can you please let me know, how much the lawyer charges for Citizenship cases?

Thank you

LM

LM2006 said:
If the case is straight forward, lawyer may not be needed.

Can you please let me know, how much the lawyer charges for Citizenship cases?

Thank you

LM

Does the attorney charge any extra if he/she accompany you to the interview? Or do you need to discuss this issue while you make any agreement on the fee at the very beginning?

Average Lawyers charge you 200-300 per hour.Good expereinced ones charge you 450-600 per hour.Like everyone says if your case is straight and clear.Dont waste you money.

It is flat fee of $500, which includes interview prep and him accompaying me.

Looking for some real experience of one who has taken Lawyer to Interview.

Thanks..

rjo1 said:
I have my Interview scheduled Feb end. I am represented by an Attorney and I chose to go through one, even though my case is straight forward.

What was your experience?
Did your attorney speak at all in the Interview. If so, when and was he asked to clarify something for you?
Did the IO get an attitude becuase you have had an attorney?

Basically I am looking to know, what role your Attorney played in the Interview.

Thanks a lot.

In your case his/her role will be of a secretary who will fill out your paper work and be a buffer in all correspondence.
I had an attorney for my Green Card and my husband had an Attorney for his Citizenship, and we learned that it is much better to apply on your own, we faced two issues with them:

1. my Attorney just forgot to inform me he recieved an intervew letter, I called him twice before he realized he did have it, fortunately I wasn't late

2. My husband recieved a citizenship interview letter, copy of which was sent to his attorney. He called his attorney to confirm he has to appear for the interview, and attorney replied that he doesn't, and that he would recieve another letter. Worried, my husband still went to interview alone (he figured in worst case they will just tell me to come later), and guess what, it was his interview appointment, which he went through alone and unprepared, after paying all the fees. He got his citizenship, but not good experience with his attorney. So for my citizenship we did everything ourselves, and it seems to be working just fine so far.

forgot to mention one good thing about attorneys:

immigration officers usually know them very well, and those attorneys who take a flat fee usually will study your case carefully and take it only if it is "clean" and immigration officers know such attorneys also...
Basically, when they see such attorney, they usually take it easy. That happened on my green card interview - they just sat down like old buddies, went through my family album (I brought it as a proof I'm married for a long time), but they were more interested in places I have been to, and gave me a green card after that.
But for citizenship, you will have to pass that small exam of history and english no matter what.