Did not file some of the 1099s in tax returns. Any issue with Naturalization?

SDCA123

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I did not include a couple of 1099s in my prior year tax returns. However, I have filed tax returns for all years since I came to the US.

Question:

1. What should I answer to Part 10 (a)(5):
Do you owe any Federal, State, or local taxes that are overdue?

2. I do not have those 1099s any more. If I say no to the above question, will it cause problems in my naturalization?

Thanks in advance,

SDCA123

Hi,

I did not include a couple of 1099s in my prior year tax returns. However, I have filed tax returns for all years since I came to the US.

Question:

1. What should I answer to Part 10 (a)(5):

2. I do not have those 1099s any more. If I say no to the above question, will it cause problems in my naturalization?

Thanks in advance,

SDCA123

Ask for transscripts from IRS. I'll say if 1099s you missed are about 10 bucks of interest from this bank and 20 bucks of interests from another bank then ignore them if IRS transcripts even do not mention them. But if you have huge amount 1099 income and do not report them, you better amend yoour tax return first

Regardless of whether the 1099s appear in the transcript or not..

chase after the banks/financial institution or whoever for the 1099s and amend your tax and pay what you owe. Some new immigrants take taxes lightly but it is true that you can't evade death and taxes [the latter atleast in most cases].

I don't think the transcripts will show any missing 1099 forms as they rely on you to tell them if you got any during that Tax year. BUT - you will have more to worry about than Citizenship with the IRS on your trail.

I'd strongly suggest you go back through whatever records you have and find those all 1099. Then get an accountant to lodge adjusted returns for all the relative years.

The 1099 system the IRS uses eventually runs full circle and they get to find out about non-declared ones. That's the sole purpose of the 1099 system. It is to match a payment to a recipient of that payment.

There is nothing wrong with minimizing your taxes, but failing to declare gets serious real fast. The big problem with that is the interest and fines may accrue monthly.

The 1099s that I missed were less than $20 except one which was about $600.

Is it worth the pain for filing amendment for just $20 1099s?

Thanks,

SDCA123

The 1099s that I missed were less than $20 except one which was about $600.

Is it worth the pain for filing amendment for just $20 1099s?
Yes, if it changes the bottom-line result for your taxes. It's not a good idea to have those unaccounted 1099s hanging around. But for a simple change like that, you should be able to file the amended return without an accountant, if you were able to file the original yourself.