Did anyone go home?

wirelesssprint

Registered Users (C)
Did any member of this forum managed to go home after they obtained their green card? Please share with us if you did.

Originally posted by wirelesssprint
Did any member of this forum managed to go home after they obtained their green card? Please share with us if you did.

Look at the problems some people are having with just adjusting their status. Count yourself lucky that you avoided them. And do not do anything reckless that will invite BCIS attention.

If you don't mind me asking why do you want to go home?

Re: Re: Did anyone go home?

Originally posted by JackIsBack
If you don't mind me asking why do you want to go home?

I am from Serbia and there has been a regime change in my country. I feel safe going home but now I am worried that they will take away my GC.

Being from Serbia makes a difference, I think.

I recall that you just received your GC. So I would suggest wait for 1-2 years and then you can travel if conditions continue to improve in Serbia.

But do NOT go NOW

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Re: Did anyone go home?

I am from Serbia and there has been a regime change in my country. I feel safe going home but now I am worried that they will take away my GC.

This is the letter "Miami2002's" friend received from BCIS after he went back to the country that he claimed fear of persecution:

"Dear M*********

Your status was adjusted that that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence under section 209 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act on ******. It has recently come to our attention, however, that subsequent to your adjustment, you visisted ********, the country from which claimed a fear of persecution on your Request for Asylum in the United States, Form I-589. In cooperation with the US Embassy in ******, the Immigration and Naturalization Service completed an investigation into your identity and background. It appears that you were not eligible for asylum or adjustment of status at the time you received either status.

As a result, the INS is reconsidering your case and intends to rescind your adjustment pursuant to 8 CFR 246, and the adjustment of your dependents who derived their status by virtue of their relationship to you.

You have 30 days from the date of this notice to provide in writing any rebutal argument or information in response to intended decision of the INS to resicnd your adjustment of status as an asylee. You may also request a hearing before an immigration judge. If you fail to respond by the deadline, your status will be rescinded and you are required to depart the United States at your own expense immediately. You may waiver the 30-day period by submitting a notice that you do not wish to submit a response, if you do not wish to contest this matter. In that case, you must also depart the United States without delay.

Please include a copy of this notice in your response."

I suggest you talk to a lawyer if you REALLY need to go home. So that in the unfortunate event that you get a letter like this one you can make an appeal with the help of your lawyer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Did anyone go home?

Originally posted by JackIsBack
This is the letter "Miami2002's" friend received from BCIS after he went back to the country that he claimed fear of persecution:

"Dear M*********

Your status was adjusted that that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence under section 209 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act on ******. It has recently come to our attention, however, that subsequent to your adjustment, you visisted ********, the country from which claimed a fear of persecution on your Request for Asylum in the United States, Form I-589. In cooperation with the US Embassy in ******, the Immigration and Naturalization Service completed an investigation into your identity and background. It appears that you were not eligible for asylum or adjustment of status at the time you received either status.

As a result, the INS is reconsidering your case and intends to rescind your adjustment pursuant to 8 CFR 246, and the adjustment of your dependents who derived their status by virtue of their relationship to you.

You have 30 days from the date of this notice to provide in writing any rebutal argument or information in response to intended decision of the INS to resicnd your adjustment of status as an asylee. You may also request a hearing before an immigration judge. If you fail to respond by the deadline, your status will be rescinded and you are required to depart the United States at your own expense immediately. You may waiver the 30-day period by submitting a notice that you do not wish to submit a response, if you do not wish to contest this matter. In that case, you must also depart the United States without delay.

Please include a copy of this notice in your response."

I suggest you talk to a lawyer if you REALLY need to go home. So that in the unfortunate event that you get a letter like this one you can make an appeal with the help of your lawyer.

My lawyer shouted at me and said do not go home yet

wirelesssprint ,

Please have some patience as it seems like a consensus here and even your lawyer does not think it is a good idea then please do not pursue it. If you keep asking people, someone may tell you that you can go back BUT the question is who will bear the consequences if something happens?? My advice will be better safe then sorry....

Regards,

Well I don't know why you people missed this paragraph which reads:
"the Immigration and Naturalization Service completed an investigation into your identity and background. It appears that you were not eligible for asylum or adjustment of status at the time you received either status"
but it sounds to me that in this case the BCIS was more concerned with the eligibility for asylum as such, rather than the fact that the person went home. They just probably investigated his story and determined that the case was based on the fraudulent facts.

Originally posted by boncorne
"the Immigration and Naturalization Service completed an investigation into your identity and background. It appears that you were not eligible for asylum or adjustment of status at the time you received either status"
but it sounds to me that in this case the BCIS was more concerned with the eligibility for asylum as such, rather than the fact that the person went home. They just probably investigated his story and determined that the case was based on the fraudulent facts.
I agree this is a mysterious letter that sounds as if these people had bad intentions for that guy long before he travelled

Could be, but as Gilbert said the political climate now is not the right one to take that risk. I remember before 9/11 (not sure if it was before but was long time ago) some posts in this forum about people going back with GC and returning without any problem.
Going through Canda is fraud, wireless, take one day at a time and you'll see the future in a different way.

Originally posted by cookiemonster
Could be, but as Gilbert said the political climate now is not the right one to take that risk. I remember before 9/11 (not sure if it was before but was long time ago) some posts in this forum about people going back with GC and returning without any problem.
Going through Canda is fraud, wireless, take one day at a time and you'll see the future in a different way.

Why fraud.. Canada is cheaper to travel from anyway. as for the people who posted they travelled and got no problem. i have been looking at old posts since i joined this forum and noone mentioned such thing. all what i hear in this post is caution and worries about going home.. i will take Gilbert advise and wait a year... :(

You proposed going to Canada using your GC and then going there to your country using your native passport. The whole point of the exercise is to prevent the US government from finding out your itinerery. If that was not fraud, I do not know what is? If you are caught, I think they will ban you from the US for life.

What apparantly triggered the probe was his trip home. I think the BCIS prejudges the case of everyone who goes home--he is almost certainly a fraud. And they have a point. You painted a very horrid picture of your country on your application for asylum and told the BCIS all things that could befall you if deported. But once approved you could not wait to go back. BCIS staff are not the smartest people around, but they are no fools. Put it another way, if I were a BCIS officer, I too would investigate you completely if you went home.