detained by police long time ago-what do i have to at interview?

jnj

Registered Users (C)
about 20yrs ago a friend of mine and i were mistakenly identified as 2 suspects in a case of vandalism.We were walking down the street and 2 police officers grabbed us and put us into their car they asked us questions at the police station aboout the incident.We knew nothing so they let us go.

I am in california and am from canada originally which is where this took place.

I cant find any info on this and when i call the canadian police they cant find anything cuz its so long ago and no crime was committed.

I think i read that you have to have original paperwork proving you were not convicted even if you were falsely detained?How can i do that if not even the police in canada can find my info or help me?What do i say at interview?If i dont have that paperwork what will uscis do?

about 20yrs ago a friend of mine and i were mistakenly identified as 2 suspects in a case of vandalism.We were walking down the street and 2 police officers grabbed us and put us into their car they asked us questions at the police station aboout the incident.We knew nothing so they let us go.

I am in california and am from canada originally which is where this took place.

I cant find any info on this and when i call the canadian police they cant find anything cuz its so long ago and no crime was committed.

I think i read that you have to have original paperwork proving you were not convicted even if you were falsely detained?How can i do that if not even the police in canada can find my info or help me?What do i say at interview?If i dont have that paperwork what will uscis do?[/QUOTE

If no charges were filed against you, then their is no problem for you. It is not something that you will need to report about because really all they did was question you like a suspect. You were not arrested. You do not have a criminal record because of it. Stop worrying about it.

"If no charges were filed against you, then their is no problem for you. It is not something that you will need to report about because really all they did was question you like a suspect. You were not arrested. You do not have a criminal record because of it. Stop worrying about it."

Do i have to mention it?I am told that even if you werent convicted you must show an original document from the law enforcement agency as proof you werent convicted.I never was given any release forms at the polce station-i wasnt fingerprinted .We got jerked around for no good reason.

"If no charges were filed against you, then their is no problem for you. It is not something that you will need to report about because really all they did was question you like a suspect. You were not arrested. You do not have a criminal record because of it. Stop worrying about it."

Do i have to mention it?I am told that even if you werent convicted you must show an original document from the law enforcement agency as proof you werent convicted.I never was given any release forms at the polce station-i wasnt fingerprinted .We got jerked around for no good reason.

No you do not have to mention it. It is over. It has no affect on your immigration process. It is over. A bad experience.

Here is some good advice that will help you when dealing with USCIS: Never volunteer information unless directly asked for it. As a lawyer friend once told me, if a USCIS officer asks you if you know what the time is, your answer should be "Yes" or "No".

If you weren't formally arrested this this is not an issue.

and if they ask if i was ever detained in canada i will have to say yes i suppose?And then they will say 'well where are the official release forms?'...And then they will say i was supposed to bring a document showing that it was not an arrest and then they will throw me out of country, no?

and if they ask if i was ever detained in canada i will have to say yes i suppose?And then they will say 'well where are the official release forms?'...And then they will say i was supposed to bring a document showing that it was not an arrest and then they will throw me out of country, no?
They won't ask that. Why would they? You're over thinking this.

They will ask the standard question in the I-485 form, i.e. "have you ever been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations?"

Your answer to this of course will be "no", which would be the correct answer in this circumstance.

You seriously need to get this worry out of your head. If you blurt out something about this incident in the interview, then yes it may cause you issues. This is why you should not mention it because it is not relevant to your case.