Deserted military as permanent resident

New-user

My case is not a simple one, so I hope to find a professional answer here. I went AWOL in 2001., long before Iraq and Afganistan war started.. Funny.. To think of it, if it have started before I never did so in the first place.. I deserted because I was bored ... no action as I have seen in the movies... Too young and too stubborn.. So.. Now to the point.. I am probably listed as a deserter till today.. Don't ask why, but I want to return to serve the rest of my contract and probably even extend it... But now I must face green card consequences, as it expired in 2009, and I left United States in 2001. Never applied for any extensions or other document to renew it.. I have contacted desertion officer, who is taking my case, but I'm not sure he knows all the immigration consequences I must face.. Waiting for a callback a few days now.. So here are my questions.. Can I apply for a returning resident visa? Renew my green card? Other possibilities? deportation stamp without possibility to ever visit United States? Would like a competent answer without emotional negative posts. Don't know if matters - my close family are all U.S. citizens.

Last edited:
Your green card is deader than a dead skunk. By default your green card is no longer valid for reentry if you spend 1 year or more outside the US without a reentry permit or other suitable documentation, and you are WAAAAAAY past that. Your returning resident visa won't get approved.