Dependent I485 to H1B

hsbajwa

Registered Users (C)
My wife is a dependent on my I485 application.
If she wants to apply for her H1B application leading to a seperate I 485 application later for her own with me as dependent on that, can she do that ?

or is it true that once you are a dependent on I485, you cannot apply for H1B ?

Any replies will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks
- hsb

hsbajwa said:
or is it true that once you are a dependent on I485, you cannot apply for H1B ?

She can apply for an H-1B, but I seriously question why you would want to file (and pay for) two separate I-485s for each of you.

The reason is the I am not sure how long will my GC approval will take and on top of that the industry I am in is getting more volatile and its not easy to find another job in the same field as I am in to satisfy AC21 conditions. Moreover I have taken bank loans to cover expenses for my wife's study. I don't want to be in a situation where she has suffers if my GC is denied because of any XYZ reason. So, applying for another I485 will make her independent of whatever happens to mine. That's my understanding but I might be wrong or missing anything.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate that.

hsbajwa said:
So, applying for another I485 will make her independent of whatever happens to mine. That's my understanding but I might be wrong or missing anything.

Once she has a pending I-140 with a current priority, that's all the insurance date you will need, especially if money is tight.

TheRealCanadian, Thanks for your prompt response but I am very ignorant and I do not completely understand you last reply. If possible, please elaborate.

Thanks
- hsb