Delay in getting SSN - New H1B visa

My wife's SSN application has been pending since Dec. Its almost 4 months. We have visited the local USCIS office twice, sent a fax to VSC, visited the Immigration Office at the airport. But nothing has worked so far. Are any of you guys in the same boat? I didn't see many updates as regards people receiving the SSN numbers.

i can't believe u have waited for 4 months..u shud have done something about it - i contacted my local congressman's office - they called up SSA hqrs in DC and within a week my wife got her SSN..don't depend on USCIS to do fix this issue.

Hi puhrince,

Any tips on how I should go about contacting the Congressman's office. Like call them up/email/letter/personally meet them? Thanks.

How long is it taking to get the records updated?

Hi guys,
How long is it taking to get the records updated from H4 to H1. Is there any way to get this sped up, has anyone had a better luck with obtaining a SSN after changing status from H4 to H1?
My wife is going thru the same problem, her employer demanding the SSN and SSN office is looking for USCIS to update the records.
Any help or guidance will be immensely appreciated.
Thanks,
frog

how about this year

Have anyone had the similiar situation this year (H4-H-1/ssn)?
SSA didn't accept my application for SSN, they want me back on Oct. 01

Thanks

My wife was eventually able to apply. The SSN office is supposed to accept your app. and manually request the USCIS office for record update, and upon confirmation of your changed status issue you a SSN.
We are waiting for the 4 week period to check back with the SSN office to see if the records have indeed been updated.
Hope this helps.
frog

delay in getting ssn

hi,
can any one please suggest a site or service center where i can get information related to H1 updation in ssa records? the person at ssn office says i will be recieving a card frm ins office saying that my H1 has been updatedand then only i can go ahead and apply for ssn? what card is it actually? has any one succeeded in getting ssn within 2 weeks. how is it possible?

SSN delay 2006-07

Hi,

Looking at the all above posts I feel I also fall in the same boat. I applied for my SSN on Nov. 16 th and its been 3 weeks I haven't received my SSN. I went to the SSN office they said they haven't recd any result yet. What should I do now to fasten the process? Please help.

From the above messages I feel that few of the people have been successful by meeting the Congressman of the city or meeting the immigration officer. Can you please advice on below mentioned questions:

1. How will I know that my status has been, not changed/changed from H-4 to H-1?
2. Where can I meet immigration officer and how can I take an appointment?
3. How can I approach local congressman in my area.

Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Komal

SSN delay

dan19 said:
Friends...

I am posting again.
It has been 5 weeks since we applied for the SSN.
I have no clue when we will get the SSN. Some lucky ones have got it in 2 weeks!!

Does anyone know what exact process the INS do. Do they do some lengthy background checks? I am just confused why there is this much delay in our cases!!

I also fall in the same boat. Can you suggest me anything to fasten this process. I am also waiting for my SSN since last 4 weeks!

SSN Delay for 2006-2007

Same story here with SSN delay .......(status not updated, still shown as H4)
Got H4 to H1B approval starting oct 2006 from VSC.
Employer from Virginia and myself long time resident of San jose and SSA asked me to apply SSN at Virginia as employer is located there.
Applied for SSN from Virginia on 9 Nov 2006 and still waiting for the status change update from CIS.

* Called Tool free Num located on I-797A and was suggested to visit local CIS.

* Checked with local CIS(San jose) and they have no permissions to change the status and was asked to go to San Francisco , but not gauranteed. Just give a shot and see if they can help.

* Tried calling again the Tool free Num on I-797A , this time was asked to call National Visa Centre.

* Tried Calling National Visa Centre , they could not find my I-797A receipt num in their database and was asked to send a copy of I-797A to them and call them back after 10-14 days after they receive a copy of I-797A.

Checked National VIsa Centre web-site to see why they cannot see my receipt num and found some basic info saying that sometimes there will be time delay between CIS sending info to NVS and CIS sending the approval notice to Petitioner.

I am not sure what role NVC plays how they can help, once i send a copy of I-797A ....

* Running out of options.
Other than sitting and waiting for miracle to happen ,can any one with similar issue and who found a way to resolve it from 2005-2006 & 2004-2005 help ALL OF US.

Waiting for SSN from last 5 months

Hi All,
I have same case from H4 to H1 status change and I have been waiting for my SSN since Oct. 09, 2006. SSN officer is still telling me about my H4 status. Can some one please help me if they have resolve this issue in past. Any help willl be greatly appreciated.