• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

December numbers released

The selectee letter clearly states that being selected is not a guarantee of receiving a Green Card. Their job is to allocate visas to all who are eligible, according to cutoff numbers and case numbers, and all that UNTIL the various limits are hit. They are doing their "damn job" - exactly as the law has specified. THAT is it.

Than the law works to destroy dreams slowly, month by month, for an entire year, for some being simply a disappointment, for others in specific situations becoming a nightmare of incredible proportions. The people who made the law will never know how much life-changing damage they have done.

Than the law works to destroy dreams slowly, month by month, for an entire year, for some being simply a disappointment, for others in specific situations becoming a nightmare of incredible proportions. The people who made the law will never know how much life-changing damage they have done.

I'm sorry, but that's bull. They tell you this before you enter, it's not hidden in the small print. No-one forces you to enter and no-one coerces you to send in your documents once you've been selected.

There will be some this year that are eligible but don't get a chance to be processed. However, For every one who is disappointed there will be 10 who have a life changing opportunity. The lottery offers people, some that have no way to get to live in the US, a dream. More than 10 million people applied so to get selected is awesome, and many will go further still. That is a good thing isn't it? Is no lottery a better option?

I realise you are sitting with a high number but I think you also have an H1 visa so you have time to sort something out even IF your number turns out to be too high. Keep your fingers crossed. No one knows where the cutoff will come - and if you read the NACARA thread you will see there is a possibility that numbers might go higher than we first thought.

I'm sorry, but that's bull. They tell you this before you enter, it's not hidden in the small print. No-one forces you to enter and no-one coerces you to send in your documents once you've been selected.

Not true. I fully believed based on the information presented that only those who make a mistake in their application will not get visas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really - my line of work is definitely not a desired specialty for the green card. I have spoken to two layers and they have admitted I really have no chance to get a work-related Green card, despite the h1b - my only chance is the lottery visa.

And yes, at this point, I would give anything to have never gotten the cursed "you have been selected for further processing" notice. Not winning is much better than believing you have won only for that hope to be bled out of you over the space of a year.

Not true. I fully believed based on the information presented that only those who make a mistake in their application will not get visas.

Huh?? You've been a member here since April 2011 and you didn't know the reality? You didn't notice when your selectee letter said they have selected 125,000 people were selected...

You really didn't know the risks?

I don't really - my line of work is definitely not a desired specialty for the green card. I have spoken to two layers and they have admitted I really have no chance to get a work-related Green card, despite the h1b - my only chance is the lottery visa.

And yes, at this point, I would give anything to have never gotten the cursed "you have been selected for further processing" notice. Not winning is much better than believing you have won only for that hope to be bled out of you over the space of a year.

Look Buffon. You applied for an H1 this year. It was oversubscribed massively so there was a lottery - and you won in that lottery. Your petition got approved in June - I am still waiting for mine. We spent $5k for an H1 last year and missed the deadline by 2 days so we got to spend another $5k this year for the H1 and now I am waiting. Stop being so down about the bad luck you get and look at the good luck...

Oh and by the way, since you are on an H1 you have years to apply for the EB GC and you have time to upgrade your job to a role that would get the GC - so really it isn't as bad as all that is it?

Would you prefer that they abolish the DV program, so you don't have a chance to 'dream' at all? I'm afraid you'll get your wish, as the proposed new law does away with DV. In the future they would use a point system where you'll be judged on your value to USA, which means a high-school graduate with no work experience has zero chance to immigrate unless he's an immediate relative of a citizen.

The practice of selecting more people than available visas is actually designed so the 50,000 quota is filled, or at least very close to filled. If they're more concerned about making sure every selectee gets a visa, then they would have selected not more than 50,000 worldwide, which means they will never hit the quota because not everybody selected decides to immigrate. If they do it this way they would probably issue 30,000 visas before they run out of selectees, wasting 20,000 visas.

The law mandates them to issue 50,000 DV visas, and they're doing their best to comply. The law doesn't say every selectee must get a visa; on the contrary a selectee can be denied a visa for myriad of reasons specified in the very same law.

Is your selectee letter different than mine? Mine clearly says "Selection does not guarantee that you will receive a visa because the
number of applicants selected is greater than the number of visas available"

Huh?? You've been a member here since April 2011 and you didn't know the reality? You didn't notice when your selectee letter said they have selected 125,000 people were selected...

You really didn't know the risks?

Is your selectee letter different than mine? Mine clearly says "Selection does not guarantee that you will receive a visa because the
number of applicants selected is greater than the number of visas available"

Never mind the selection letter. The instructions document, under the FAQs about selection, says:

"Being randomly chosen as a selectee does not guarantee that you will receive a visa. Selection merely means that you are eligible to apply for a Diversity Visa, and if qualified, be issued a Diversity Visa. Only the first 50,000 selected applicants to qualify may be issued visas."

Personally, if I was applying for a lottery to become such a life changing important thing I would read the instructions with a fine tooth comb, three times over to ensure I had everthing right and understood. This is also why I don't understand people who come on here and want to try justify the fact that they entered wrong marital status, left children off the application, chose country of wrong chargeabiity etc...

A couple who did their interviews at the same time as me this week sounded literally stunned when told they would need to consult O-Net re: the husband's unskilled labour job because he hadn't finished high school, thus failing one of the minimum requirements.

I was amazed that anyone could get to that stage and not have read the rules and documentation that clearly states you need those things.

Never mind the selection letter. The instructions document, under the FAQs about selection, says:

"Being randomly chosen as a selectee does not guarantee that you will receive a visa. Selection merely means that you are eligible to apply for a Diversity Visa, and if qualified, be issued a Diversity Visa. Only the first 50,000 selected applicants to qualify may be issued visas."

Personally, if I was applying for a lottery to become such a life changing important thing I would read the instructions with a fine tooth comb, three times over to ensure I had everthing right and understood. This is also why I don't understand people who come on here and want to try justify the fact that they entered wrong marital status, left children off the application, chose country of wrong chargeabiity etc...

Let say, i have made a mistake when i'm filling the visa forms... anyway i have sent those incorrect forms to KCC and KCC confirms that they have received the documents.. Also will assume i have a low CN.. Will they call me for the interview (with the concern to correct them in the interview)? Or will they reject my forms( since they are incorrect) and not call for the interview?

Let say, i have made a mistake when i'm filling the visa forms... anyway i have sent those incorrect forms to KCC and KCC confirms that they have received the documents.. Also will assume i have a low CN.. Will they call me for the interview (with the concern to correct them in the interview)? Or will they reject my forms( since they are incorrect) and not call for the interview?

Once the selection letters have gone out KCC will never reject a case. You can send corrections to KCC if you have time before your interview and/or take the corrected forms with you to the interview. Whatever mistake is made will be dealt with during the interview.

It's a pity you feel like that. However if you truly do not want to go through the uncertainty of not knowing whether you will get an interview, again - nothing is forcing you. You can easily send an email to KCC and tell them you want to withdraw your application.

Why are you guys fighting so much? Chill out a bit, everyone will get their chance somehow. Anyway, does anybody know what is the highest number in Europe that got interviewed in last few years?

CN: 2014EU00033xxx

A dv2013 selectee put high school without diploma, she only noticed a week before her interwview,
She had it all fixed at her interview ! She is in usa .

Can anyone show me a link or advise me on , what are the basic things that we have fulfill once we stepped in to US in order to settle down ASAP ?

Can anyone show me a link or advise me on , what are the basic things that we have fulfill once we stepped in to US in order to settle down ASAP ?

With regard to what? Immigration process? Getting a bak account? Getting a job? Could you be more specific.