Dallas TX - N-400 Timeline -

Desi2go,

Now I can say we have seen it all.
Because in my case supposedly I wasn't scheduled for interview as my background check was still pending since may 2006.
And I am still waiting for an interview letter todate.

We applied together with my wife and she got her interview date last sep of 06 and she has been a citizen since oct last year.

Interview today , oath Aug 8th

:) Just completed by interview today. The officer was not particularly freindly but polite enough.The interview process was simple and after a few questions he remarked that I had no arrests,violations etc. I had a traffic ticket in 03(paid) which I mentioned, he asked me a couple of questions on where I got it and how much I paid for it. After that he gave me an oath letter for Aug 8th.(Nothing earlier was open )

Good luck to all the folks who are still waiting!

Also,I have some questions on a slightly different topic:

1)My spouse I-130 was applied for and approved while I was still a GC holder.
Now that I will become a citizen shortly what is the exact process to upgrade?
2)Is it enough to just called USCIS and upgrade the application and then apply for I-485?
3) Does the DORA process apply to us anymore?
Has anyone had a similar experience ?Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

Interview question

Hello everybody,

I have couple of questions. Eventhough there is a separate thread for documents needed for interview, I would like to know what documents did the Dallas center people expect and what you all took to the interview.

Also my husband has his interview this friday and my interview is on July 24th. We are expecting our second child around July 19th. I would like to know if I can go with him and request for a change in date or if it is possible will they interview me right then seeing my condition? Or will I waste a trip going with my husband since it is a long drive and with my condition I do not want to stress out myself if not needed.

Thank you in advance
sailakfan

Hello everybody,

I have couple of questions. Eventhough there is a separate thread for documents needed for interview, I would like to know what documents did the Dallas center people expect and what you all took to the interview.

Also my husband has his interview this friday and my interview is on July 24th. We are expecting our second child around July 19th. I would like to know if I can go with him and request for a change in date or if it is possible will they interview me right then seeing my condition? Or will I waste a trip going with my husband since it is a long drive and with my condition I do not want to stress out myself if not needed.

Thank you in advance
sailakfan

About docs. Initially I've thought to try to bring the exhaustive list as suggested here. But later decided not to bother since my case is quite plain vanilla (H1 -> EBGC -> USC). In addition to the docs that applied to me from the doc checklist that came with IL (really, almost nothing applied to me except for identification docs - GC/Pasport/Driver License/etc.) I brought (since I had them anyway):
- SSS SIL (even though I did not need one, since I entered US after turning 26) - was never asked for it
- tax transcripts for last 5 years - was never asked for them
- court papers for speeding ticket I mentioned on N-400 - was never asked for them
- Updated N-400 with info changed since application - that was helpful since I could give updated pages to IO and she could copy relevant info to my initial N-400.

For your pregnancy question. I would've had your husband try to call them to see if they can move it to the same day with your husband. In general I would be skeptical that they would let you do it if you just come with your husband. But who knows - maybe they would. Or it could be simply impossible due to some technicality of how their bureaucracy works - maybe they only get those files to IO offices from some archives that are scheduled for that day - or whatever... I am not sure if trying INFOPASS could help here either - it is probably too late to get it before his interview - but could be possible to use it to re-schedule your interview to a sooner (or later?) day. Which could also be done by replying to the IL according to instructions...

Interview - A Decision Cannot be made

Guys,
I just had my interview at the Dallas DO.
I answered all the 10 questions.
I passed the civic and english exam.

Finally, the IM officer handed me the paper with the following:

- You have passed the English and US History Exam
- A Decision cannot be made yet

When I asked him why he said it is only administrative stuff.
It requires his supervisor to approve it.

I asked him if I cleared the BackGround Check and he replied, you wouldn't be here in the interview if you didn't.

He said, it will propably take 1.5 month to hear back from them.

Any idea why this is happening? Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks in advance,

Update

I just received a call from the IM who interviewed me today to inform me that he approved my case and that he is sending the Oath letter in the mail today for 8/8/07 in Plano.

I asked him if he can make it in the Fort-Worth Cermony on 7/16.
He was very nice and changed it.

I am going to stay skeptical until I have the Oath letter in my hand.
I will keep you posted.

Done Interview

I did my interview today surprisingly it went smoothly,the IO did not ask me for any documents, asked me like 10 civics and English questions.

after the interview the IO handed a congratulations letter,told me that I should expect to do my oath in a couple of months.

Thank you very much

About docs. Initially I've thought to try to bring the exhaustive list as suggested here. But later decided not to bother since my case is quite plain vanilla (H1 -> EBGC -> USC). In addition to the docs that applied to me from the doc checklist that came with IL (really, almost nothing applied to me except for identification docs - GC/Pasport/Driver License/etc.) I brought (since I had them anyway):
- SSS SIL (even though I did not need one, since I entered US after turning 26) - was never asked for it
- tax transcripts for last 5 years - was never asked for them
- court papers for speeding ticket I mentioned on N-400 - was never asked for them
- Updated N-400 with info changed since application - that was helpful since I could give updated pages to IO and she could copy relevant info to my initial N-400.

For your pregnancy question. I would've had your husband try to call them to see if they can move it to the same day with your husband. In general I would be skeptical that they would let you do it if you just come with your husband. But who knows - maybe they would. Or it could be simply impossible due to some technicality of how their bureaucracy works - maybe they only get those files to IO offices from some archives that are scheduled for that day - or whatever... I am not sure if trying INFOPASS could help here either - it is probably too late to get it before his interview - but could be possible to use it to re-schedule your interview to a sooner (or later?) day. Which could also be done by replying to the IL according to instructions...

Asitel,
Thank you for your reply. We will call today and see if we can move it to different day and will post the result.
sailakfan

Completed Interview couple of hours ago today 6/20... was with IO In and out within 5 minutes.. he was so fast and asked all the Civics, English, N-400 questions in 3 minutes..no docs asked..just Passport/GC/Driver License...came out with "recommended for approval form"...Oath Letter will be sent in the mail....

Approved

Interview complete on 6/19/07 with oath letter for 16th July ceremony in Forthworth.
All dates are same for both me and my wife.

PD 2/12/07
FP 3/19/07
ID 6/19/07
Oath 07/16/07

:)

Interview complete on 6/19/07 with oath letter for 16th July ceremony in Forthworth.
All dates are same for both me and my wife.

PD 2/12/07
FP 3/19/07
ID 6/19/07
Oath 07/16/07

:)

You are very lucky you got your Oath date right away,out of curiosity what time was your appointment? mine was on the same date at 08:40 but did not get Oath letter.
what am thinking is there were still open slots or your name check was already cleared and mine is not yet cleared.

We were both scheduled for 1:00 PM and met with different IO's.
They told about Plano ceremony in August and Forthworth ceremony in July and we opted for July. Also, after receiving oath letters, we had to go out to get our pictures retaken since they had misplaced the one we submitted along with our application. We went to the photo shop across the street, came back and gave it to the IO.
The interview was also very quick eventhough I had 6-7 corrections/additions on my application.

They told about Plano ceremony in August and Forthworth ceremony in July and we opted for July. Also, after receiving oath letters, we had to go out to get our pictures retaken since they had misplaced the one we submitted along with our application. We went to the photo shop across the street, came back and gave it to the IO.
The interview was also very quick eventhough I had 6-7 corrections/additions on my application.

So that brings it to a conclusion of name check,which am hoping that me and others won`t be stuck in for a long time but be in a timely fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:
can someone pl. help me

I have a slightly unusual situation for which I need some help. First, here is me and my spouse's timeline

PD: Aug 17, 06
FP: Sep 23, 06
2nd FP (only for me) : Oct 18, 06 (Apparently they could not read my FPs the first time)
ID: Mar 12, 07

My spouse got oath letter at interview for 4/4. I cleared my interview, but got the N-14 (RFE) - the IO very politely told me that they could not read my FPs the 2nd time either. He told me the SOP in such cases was to get police clearance certs from the cities that I have lived in the past 5 years. This was not a problem for me since I have been in the dallas area for 5 yrs, so I got the certificates and personally delivered them to the Dallas office within 5 days of the interview. I have not heard anything from them since.

I have already gone for one infopass apt on apr 13 to find out about my status. But they told me nothing significant - just that the case was pending.

I have taken another infopass apt on july 2nd. What are my options at this point? On july 10th, it will be 120 days since my interview. Isn't there a law or something that they have to make a decision within 120 days of interview. Could someone pl. clarify this for me. Would going through a senator's office help speed up my case?

Pl. give me some ideas on how to proceed. Thanks a lot!

My 2 cents to this forum

My wife took her oath on June 14 at the Dallas Convention Center and is now finally a US citizen. I have two things of significance that I would like to share on this forum which has provided me with so much knowledge about the citizenship process.

1) When you go for your oath, take a photograph with you even if it is not mentioned in the oath letter. They lost my wife's photograph and did not have a photograph to affix on the Nat Certificate. This also happened to atleast one other person besides my wife. Fortunately, we had a photograph with us which we gave them and they affixed it to the Nat Certificate on the spot and she could go through with the ceremony as scheduled. Unfortunately, the other person did not have a photograph on hand and he was given a new oath letter for a different ceremony at a later date and asked to come back for the oath on that date with a photograph. Moral of the story: DO CARRY A PHOTOGRAPH TO THE OATH CEREMONY, just in case.

2) My wife's original oath date was set for March 20 which she had to get postponed because of travel abroad. To postpone the oath date, here is what you need to do.
a) Write a cover letter explaining why you can not make it to the ceremony and request to reschedule your oath date.
b) Attach proof of your reason (We sent a copy of her e-ticket and itinerary)
c) Attach the original oath letter (Don't foget to make a copy first)
d) Send all of the above to
Attn: N-400 Unit
USCIS Dallas Field Office
8101 North Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75247
Do not send it to the Texas Service Center
e) As with all communication to the USCIS, write on the envelope
N-400
Request to re-schedule naturalization oath appointment
A# :
Receipt# :
There was no acknowledgement from the USCIS that they received our letter. My wife simply got a new appointment letter after about 2 months for June 14th.

Hope that helps. Just my 1.3 cents (after tax) to this forum. The rest of our experience was nothing to talk about. Just the same as countless others have told us earlier on this forum. So long and good luck to everyone.

Which location in dallas is the N-400 interview held?

You are very lucky you got your Oath date right away,out of curiosity what time was your appointment? mine was on the same date at 08:40 but did not get Oath letter.
what am thinking is there were still open slots or your name check was already cleared and mine is not yet cleared.

I do have a question though,what is the difference between those who did the interveiw but they were told that A DECISION CANNOT YET BE MADE ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION vs CONGRATULATIONS: YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL?

I am a little confused because mine has recommended for approval does it mean that the name check was cleared but only waiting for the IO supervisor approve it?

I will be glad for an insight,thanks.

Received Oath Date

I received my Oath Date in the mail today.
It is scheduled on 6/17/07 in the FortWorth Convention Center.