Dallas TX - N-400 Timeline -

It is supposed to, but this is the USCIS, so who knows.

Since May 2006, the USCIS has a policy that says that the interview is not supposed to be scheduled unless the name check (the part of the background check that can be a black hole) is completed. So, in all likelihood, you are through name check.

There are other aspects of the background check, but they are *much* more deterministic.

The other thing that can go wrong is that you files are supposed to be sent to the district office when your interview letter is generated. If they don't get there in time (or if something else bad happens) the DO may "deschedule" your interview. You don't want that.

I was descheduled about a month after the IL went out, and about 2 weeks before the interview (http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=225887). Descheduling is rare - though apparently about 1/3 of all the appointments for the week I was to be interviewed were descheduled; some sort of glitch happened (though my wife, who was on the same schedule as me was interviewed on time).

Don't worry, the IL is a *very* good sign. You are starting the end game now.

Good luck.

Dose IL mean background check completed?

Hey Danra123,

I was supposed to go for interview on June 8, 07. And I got descheduled as my file did not make it from the service center.
As of now I am still waiting for the 2nd IL.
I recommend calling the USCIS a couple of days before your interview date, as my descheduling letter came too late, I drove all the way to the DO to find out the hard way !!took 1/2 day off for nothing.
My case was stuck in name check since May 2006 and not sure if still is, my status still shows pending.
So as Flydog said there is nothing you can be sure of, just be happy that something is happening. (You received your IL letter) COngrats!!

Include your timeline in your next post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have received IL, but case status did not disapear.
What dos ethat mean?
I read in some posts their case status disapeared once IL sent

Disregard the case status change,mine has never changed since it shows the date on which my N-400 application was received.

That is a least of my worries as long as my case is moving accordingly.

Infopass

Guys/Girls,

How do you get a INFOPASS started, do call a certain number or do you write to USCIS?

Thanks in advanced for your replies

Oath Letter!!!

I have to say, the USCIS does a good job to confuse the heck out of everyone. Just last week at the infopass I was told, I cannot take the oath at the fort-worth ceremony and today I got my oath letter for the july 16th ceremony in fort-worth :D

My journey is coming to an end soon! Goodluck to everyone!!
Cheers!

Pd Feb 02 2007
Fp Mar 05 2007
Id June 08 2007
Od ???????

Can Someone Pls Explain Why People Who Interview The Same Day Or After The Day I Interviewed Rcvd Their Oath Letter? Also Why Go Some People Get Oath Letter The Same Day After Interview,and Some Are Told They Will Get Theirs In The Mail. Interview Offcr Sd I Shld Expect Mine In 2-3 Mths If Final Approval Is Granted

Can Someone Pls Explain Why People Who Interview The Same Day Or After The Day I Interviewed Rcvd Their Oath Letter? Also Why Go Some People Get Oath Letter The Same Day After Interview,and Some Are Told They Will Get Theirs In The Mail. Interview Offcr Sd I Shld Expect Mine In 2-3 Mths If Final Approval Is Granted

It's the USCIS - consistency is not a core competency.

My understanding/guesses (remember I am not any kind of expert):

It appears that approval requires two folks to say "OK". If you get both, then you are well on your way to getting an oath letter.

In Dallas, it also appears that if there is an oath date in the "near" future, and there are "seats available" for that oath, you are eligible for that ceremony (if you have a name change, for example, you must attend a "judicial" ceremony), and you get both approvals, then there is a good chance you will get the letter as you leave your interview.

Both my wife and I got our oath letters as our interview ended (interviews in May and September 2006)

if It appears that approval requires two folks to say "OK". when does the 2nd person review the case file,is it when the interview offcr goes out of the room while you are there of they have to send it to the second person,and how long do you think it takes for the 2nd person to approve,also can the second person find a fault in some cases and not approve the case?

I think the approval takes place between a senior and junior officer and it is my guess that if you end up getting interviewed by the senior officer then he can schedule your oath then because getting the approval of the junior officer would just be a formality in such a case.

thanx flydog and sultan for ur feedback, my guess is that after interview all approved cases is put in a poll and its drawn from there for the oath ceremony on a first come first serve basis?
and since i had my interview on june 12th, do u think i can still get a oath letter in the mail for the aug 8th ceremony? if so how late before the oath do you think i can get the letter,i mean do you et atleast a week or two notice?

thanx flydog and sultan for ur feedback, my guess is that after interview all approved cases is put in a poll and its drawn from there for the oath ceremony on a first come first serve basis?
and since i had my interview on june 12th, do u think i can still get a oath letter in the mail for the aug 8th ceremony? if so how late before the oath do you think i can get the letter,i mean do you et atleast a week or two notice?

To give you some hope, that's what happened to me...... My interview was 4/25, and I was told to wait for an oath letter, when another person got the letter on the same day for the 06/14 ceremony. I was sad, since we had the interview on the same day. Well, I got my oath letter 5/22 for the 06/14 ceremony, same day as that person, but instead, I had to wait for a letter, and only few days to change my schedule and be available for that day. Anyway, USCIS does not play the same for everyone. Is the luck of been interviewed by the right officer, at the right time.

Good Luck!!!!

Frustrating!

I attended the interview on May24 th and was approved. Till then waiting for the oath letter. I am undergoing a short term (six months) training in France and need to leave by the end of this month. I am applying from Lubbock county and hence I requested the immigration officer who interviewed me to assign for oath ceremonies in Dallas. He seemed to understand my situation and agreed to do that. They have an oath ceremony here in lubbock on july 19th and I was hoping to be assigned for that. Till now I didn't get any answer. Waiting for the mail everyday. Totally frustrating!

Unfortunately no one seems to know how to phone the Dallas USCIS office. It would be nice to be able to talk to someone, but I can't imagine getting an Infopass is very convenient if you live in Lubbock.

Oh well,
Good luck

would be nice to be able to call your DO

I am still waiting for my 2nd interview letter after i was descheduled for last june 8 because my file did not reach the DO yet.
Since then I have been calling the USCIS almost once every week as I want to be done and get on with my regular life.
Unfortunately I receive different answers each time.
One says cannot say whether your name check was cleared, other says case pending for interview etc....The only common say was wait 60 days then schedule infopass.

Again I will say, I wish we are able to call our DO directly.

Yeah. There's not too much you can do. Give it 4-6 weeks and then schedule an infopass. Don't leave until you get a good understanding of your situation.

Most deschedulings seem to be the result of a mis-routed file. That kind of thing usually cures itself in a week or 3.

In my case, that was was happened (my file actually showed up about the time of my originally scheduled interview). However, it took 4 or 5 months and the intervention of Sen Hutchison to get a new interview.

I understand your frustration. However, if it is a file problem, take heart in knowing that it is better than a name check problem.

interview descheduling

Yeah. There's not too much you can do. Give it 4-6 weeks and then schedule an infopass. Don't leave until you get a good understanding of your situation.

Most deschedulings seem to be the result of a mis-routed file. That kind of thing usually cures itself in a week or 3.

In my case, that was was happened (my file actually showed up about the time of my originally scheduled interview). However, it took 4 or 5 months and the intervention of Sen Hutchison to get a new interview.

I understand your frustration. However, if it is a file problem, take heart in knowing that it is better than a name check problem.

Although they got your file by the 1st interview schedule as you said...It took them 4 to 5 month to reschedule...that is way too long...
I scheduled an infopass for jul 19th, hopefully I will get my letter before then.
At this stage I do not think that the USCIS cannot help anymore, it lies in the DO hands now.