• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Crime in the United States

LoveAmerica

Registered Users (C)
Just thought I would share a link for all you DV lottery participants and maybe winners. It's about crime and gang life within the United States. I never knew crime in the USA was this bad until I saw this video and it gave me second thoughts on moving to the United States. I guess it's really the gun laws in the US that create these crimes, which I'm thankful I live in a country where guns are illegal where these types of crime do not exist.

http://youtu.be/FS824-2A5VI

By the way, not trying to discourage you people.

One thing prospect immigrant need to keep in mind is that crime in USA is very segregrated... I know you are trying to copy for the eventual loss in july 15 but crime in USA mostly happen to gang member & peoples with criminal record... For instance, in Philadelphia, about 90% of the murder victims have a criminal record... If you just live your life minding your own business, peoples leave you alone... & besides, there are countries in western europe way more violent than the USA...

I went to new york for about a month & was walking ALONE deep night in so called bad area & guess what... I NEVER SAW ANYTHING... (Southside jamaica queens, Hollis & Bushwick)

If you just live your life minding your own business, peoples leave you alone...

Nope, not in some parts of the United States. Some cities in the US you would be more likely to be beaten simply because of you're race. If you're black you will be more likely to be beat up by another race as shown in the video Love shown in some county's of Los Angeles by Latinos. Lots of racism hate in the United States funnily enough even if its a mixed race country.

I went to new york for about a month & was walking ALONE deep night in so called bad area & guess what... I NEVER SAW ANYTHING... (Southside jamaica queens, Hollis & Bushwick)

It's really different views living in a place for just a month opposed to a resident who has lived there for years and have seen much more. And why were you walking alone deep in the night in bad neighborhoods, seems pretty odd... o_O

that's why i said "crime segregrated", happen in somple places exept maybe baltimore.
& walking alone deep night because my girlfriend lives in southside jamaica & my hotel was in bushwick & sine i was living late night...
Nope, not in some parts of the United States. Some cities in the US you would be more likely to be beaten simply because of you're race. If you're black you will be more likely to be beat up by another race as shown in the video Love shown in some county's of Los Angeles by Latinos. Lots of racism hate in the United States funnily enough even if its a mixed race country.

It's really different views living in a place for just a month opposed to a resident who has lived there for years and have seen much more. And why were you walking alone deep in the night in bad neighborhoods, seems pretty odd... o_O

& this is a documentary & docs always exagerate everything... If you watch ross kemp : gang of london, you will think that London is a place that as soon as you step in, some gang members approach you telling you to join them & if you say "non" they kill you.... I lived 2 years in London... Never saw such thing & I walked in Hackney a place famous for its crime rate... Just my cousin who owned money from the next door dealer but he never shot him (well, he threatened to burn the house... well, I guess than him being arrested for attempted murder may have saved my cousin's butt). Never take anything a documentary says for granted... & If you dissect all the documentaries, you will notice that they never talk about the most violent cities in the USA.. Alway the famous cities who are pretty safe (LA has a murder rate almost equal as new york city for 2010 5 per 100 000 for NYC & 6.2 per 100 000 for LA)... the ost violent cities they do never talk about it which are Baltimore, Detroit, Philladelphia, Gary, Washington DC ect... this is just a documentaries... like the michael moore one showing Canada as the melting pot dream where peoples keep their door unlock... Right.... just docs... far far FARRRRR from the truth

Last edited by a moderator:
can't compare any californian place with the worst part of Detroit or Gary... & what is that cities are peoples.. what, a city can't be famous...?

As i say, do never take what the documentaries says for reality.. they always exagerate...
I just found this docs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkYARkTsOtc&feature=BFa&list=WLB5745E394B975822&index=29
I lived in paris for 17 years & never felt threatened (& I do live in one of thoses bad neighbourhood)... but watching this show makes me scare of going out... seriously, docs are full of shit, they are mean to be spectacular thus never portraying the truth...
Thoses with street knowedge know that real badman never talk, just the stupid ones who wants to proove something & act tough on camera... I know what I am saying... docs = crap

Hey hey hey! Relax everybody (y'all)! Crime is a reality in life and it is present in every single country in the world! Crime is part of the mischief on earth that is so ancient and yet so new! We will never get rid of it! The best way to beat it is to just stay away from it and if in very rare circumstances you're at the wrong time and at the wrong place and something happens to you, God knows why that happened to you. However, I repeat, if we'd all be pessimistic then earth is not the place for us; let us all move to heaven - its the only crime free zone that God created!

crime is every where guys, but it is just different in Type from a country to another, my friend immigrated to the US in 2011 he told me, if you walk in New York in any time day or night you don't have to worry no body will talk to you or rob you. 1 day he heared 4 Gun shots because he lives in brooklyn, he told me no body will try to steal your money, he said, if people want to steal, they do it big or they don't do it at all ( like stealing supermarket or a bank or something that has alot of profit).

I might add that being away of people will help you, so leave people and don't talk to strangers unless you have to of course. So don't just get involved in problems with someone or create them. Live your life and be free.

Crime varies by the community you are in. It can chage greatly by moving a few blocks one way or another. I grew up in a town where people almost never locked their doors and we never had an issue. I currently leave the door open during the day. But there are places where I hope for green lights because I don't even want to slow up when passing through. Most communities post crime statistics, check out the place you are planning to move and move to the safest place you can afford.

Depends on which city and neighborhood you lives.
If you got some decent amount of money, you can/will choose to live in a neighborhood with a lower crime rate.
However, some people have no choice.

So, think twice about living in USA if you got no decent amount of money.

Hey hey hey! Relax everybody (y'all)! Crime is a reality in life and it is present in every single country in the world! Crime is part of the mischief on earth that is so ancient and yet so new! We will never get rid of it! The best way to beat it is to just stay away from it and if in very rare circumstances you're at the wrong time and at the wrong place and something happens to you, God knows why that happened to you. However, I repeat, if we'd all be pessimistic then earth is not the place for us; let us all move to heaven - its the only crime free zone that God created!

Wow. What country are you from? Must be pretty bad over there like it is in the US.
Many countries have a ban on unauthorized firearms (only police and military are allowed) therefore there is almost no gun-related crimes.

A good example of a crime free community is Singapore. Every vice is illegal over there. Death penalty for drug possession. Guns are banned. Law enforcement is part of life. Criminals still exist but they can't do very much, they don't get second chances, if they get caught, they are D.E.A.D.

You can't just accept crime to be normal part of life. Sure it exists but not *EVERY* country is the same like you assumed

I get your point judasgaga; that there are countries with low crime rates. However, low is not the same as none. Even though civilized countries like Singapore exist but still, even with the harsh laws they have, crime still exists (even if in low rates). I live in Kenya and here in Kenya firearms are illegal to possess without a license as well but there are crimes being committed by the illegal possession of guns. Even though the government is working hard and they capture criminals all the time, still crime exists and no one has any idea on how and when it will be eliminated forever (I wish for a crime free world but it can never be that way just because I wish for it). I've also lived in the U. S. for 5 years and I always kept to myself with just a few Kenyan and American friends and I did not witness or encounter any real crime throughout my stay. That is why I said, when you look for trouble, you will always find it and when you keep away from it, it won't come looking for you unless, in very rare cases, you just happen to be at the wrong place and the wrong time.
Wow. What country are you from? Must be pretty bad over there like it is in the US.
Many countries have a ban on unauthorized firearms (only police and military are allowed) therefore there is almost no gun-related crimes.

A good example of a crime free community is Singapore. Every vice is illegal over there. Death penalty for drug possession. Guns are banned. Law enforcement is part of life. Criminals still exist but they can't do very much, they don't get second chances, if they get caught, they are D.E.A.D.

You can't just accept crime to be normal part of life. Sure it exists but not *EVERY* country is the same like you assumed

I get your point judasgaga; that there are countries with low crime rates. However, low is not the same as none. Even though civilized countries like Singapore exist but still, even with the harsh laws they have, crime still exists (even if in low rates).

Very true. But you have to look at what is considered a "crime" in those countries. Crime = breaking the law. In Singapore, you are not allowed to spit in public. Spitting is illegal.. Chewing gum was illegal until 2004. Do people do it? Yes, sure. It is a small crime.

Other crimes like working without a permit, running the red light, smuggling toilet paper and vegetables from Malaysia = crimes. Most people don't do it because they have strict law enforcement, but sometimes they break it. So yes crimes exist.

Violent crimes are very extraordinary in countries like Singapore, Japan and the like. Its not just law enforcement, its the society's mentality.

By the way where do you obtain guns illegally in Kenya? See, if there is a black market, people will find it. In the countries I mentioned above, each gun in the country is registered to either a member of the police or military force. It would be very difficult to find one.

By the way, guns are really cheap in the US. I was very surprised when I found out. Also, getting a firearm operating license is really easy. A high schooler can easily get one. You fill out a form, have a background police check and pay $10 and they mail you your license.

I think you got your point home. I realize that you were specifically talking about Violence while I was generalizing on Crime. I understand what you mean now! I agree that there are places with very low to no violence rates. On the other hand, the U. S. has a high violence rate but we also have to realize that that U. S. is a very big country as compared to places like Singapore, Brunei and the likes. Nevertheless, violence will almost certainly affect you if you go looking for it and if you keep away from it, it should not affect you.
Very true. But you have to look at what is considered a "crime" in those countries. Crime = breaking the law. In Singapore, you are not allowed to spit in public. Spitting is illegal.. Chewing gum was illegal until 2004. Do people do it? Yes, sure. It is a small crime.

Other crimes like working without a permit, running the red light, smuggling toilet paper and vegetables from Malaysia = crimes. Most people don't do it because they have strict law enforcement, but sometimes they break it. So yes crimes exist.

Violent crimes are very extraordinary in countries like Singapore, Japan and the like. Its not just law enforcement, its the society's mentality.

By the way where do you obtain guns illegally in Kenya? See, if there is a black market, people will find it. In the countries I mentioned above, each gun in the country is registered to either a member of the police or military force. It would be very difficult to find one.

By the way, guns are really cheap in the US. I was very surprised when I found out. Also, getting a firearm operating license is really easy. A high schooler can easily get one. You fill out a form, have a background police check and pay $10 and they mail you your license.

One of the big dangers is if you are in an area that has gangs ( which are usually racial grouped) and you happen to look like you might belong to someome from a different gang. In some areas of Los Angeles being black and driving a red car can get you killed in a heartbeat.

Not funny but the truth. It is important to know what attracks the bad element to attack others. In the very rough areas members of the gangs wear a specific color to announce their ties. To prove bravery memeber of opposing gangs cross lines. So if you are wearing the wrong color you can be caught up in this and they usually shoot first.

so what color should new immigrants wear to avoid being mistaken for a gang member? is white clothing safe?