CP Done! Mumbai: Nov End 2001

CPHoney

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys-

Although i was not a active member of this wonderfull discussion group, i checked it almost everyday. It helped me gain knowledge as to what to expect and what not. Thanks to all of you.

I did Medical in early 1st week and interview in late next week.
 I am from Calcutta, so had to find a place to stay in Bombay... got hold of Hotel Midland, Nehru Road, SantaCruz[E]Tel: 6110413/14, 6118608[www.hotelmidland.com].. They pick you up from the airport and drop off free. Charges Rs 2100/day- double occ. Looks like any regular old building from outside, but its good inside- like Super-8 Motels. Safe and good service.

Next morning, they woke me up at 6AM... took a cab to Hinduja Hospital, Mahim...reached at 6:30 AM... reception opens at 7AM sharp... the cleaner keeps a registration form on the center desk[with a older Hinduja guy\'s head-status in the middle... i guess]. Promptly filled up the form.. approached the receptionist [7 windows], who was yonger and nicer looking... they work faster... Payed Rs 1700/- each... A nurse was already looking for the first Visa Candidate.... she took our file walked us up the elevator to 3rd floor.. took us to a room...a doctor was there...she asked for prevoius vaccination records.... took
   - 2 pp size photos
   - Xerox of Interview Appointment Letter
   - Passport Xerox [1st and last pages].
 Asked us to wait in \'TV Room\'.... waited until was called again ..same room.. a guy was preparing his syringes...to draw blood.... 1 shot in right hand and one in left [MMR God...it gave me fever the following night]. Luckely had Tylenol \'EXTRA\' Strength... for my left-hand had no strength.

Then again \'TV Room Mei Baito...\'... where the TV are none functional.
 After a while was called again for Ht, Wt and BP.
 It was 9:30AM... you can go now... come back at 1:30 for physical....

Took a cab to [opposite Breach Candy Hospital] Bhulabhai Desai Rd... There was Indian Overseas Bank... got my two drafts...one for $520[$260 each] the other for $130 [$65 each].. at Rs 48/US$1.

Walked to My Own Studio..old man told me its Rs 70/4 photos.. "you will need 3 only... but you will get it day after tomorrow" [probably expecting me to show Urgency and hence more money]... i said that cool. My interview is next week... It was 11:30AM... Some more time to kill... had coconut milk... Rs.15 each...can\'t believe it... last time i had it for Rs 6 each..
.. nice ol\' burganing the Indian way... i asked him for a place to eat.. refered me "Shova Resturant near Maha Laxmi temple"- South India food... so be it... took a cab.[check the cab meter amount...check the card for the final price]. Had Masala Dosa..Aha! after a long time.. in our loving busy Indian resturant..... The Hotel boy smelled something imported i guess, so was giving more attention... Had some more time... so decided to walked to the Shiv Mandir and Maha Laxmi Temple for blessings and strength to face the D-day next week.

Then at 12:45.. took the cab back to Mahim..Hinduja.... 2nd floor... called by a consultant doc[lady doc...god she would stip me!]
Asked about previous Mediacal problems/surgeries... asked to lie down.. "loosen you pants".. i heeded... quickly she peeped in....Just to Make sure! i guess!

Ok! You are fine for your Visa...
 ...come up and sign here... go outside and send the next person.
 After about 40 minutes... was handed the medical report...it was 2PM.

Little relaxed.... went to the Hotel...relaxed the evening.. next day flew home to Calcutta....
--------------------------- Interview Experience later----------------

Congratulations !!!

Congratulations and thanks for the posting.

We are leaving for Mumbai this weekend... We are also doing the Medical at Hinduja.

Looking forward to your interview details...

Thanks & Good Luck in the future...

Mumbai Interview Details:

The Interview was pretty straight-forward.........although we were in a lot of tension ...given the police security outside the consulate and the crowd.

Prosented the $520 Indian Overseas DD in Counter#13 , got receipt. Preserve this receipt....
 This has to be given for Document collection.
  Waited for 1& 1/2 hr before called for document collection in counter#6... standard doc... no extras.. only checked the Originals of BC and Marriage Certificate. Wanted DS-230 PArt 1 & 2 [no OF-230s accepted]

Then was asked to wait.... lot of tension... Finally within 40 minutes was called in COunter #8[i guess]... its a closed one... a White guy on the other side of window...
    Asked us to raise hand... and said "Whatever presented ..bla .. bla ...is true..."
We said "Yes its true"... Look directly into the eye. Body language counts.
Asked us to sigh the DS230 PArt-2 ... then told us to pay the IV $65 each fee.... Payed...Keep the receipt... come back at 4PM....

Got the package at 4:25PM... checked for errors... all well.
Yes! Finally..... Left for Calcutta that evening itself.

POE: JFK....after 7 days... got stamped.

Good luck to all of you guys... Believe in yourselve and GOD!

Did you have any \'medical history reports\' with you?

CPhoney,
  The Pkt III lists out a long list of innoculations.
I do not have ANY history/record of having taken even one of them (though I did take many of these as a kid). So would I be expected to take so many vaccinations on that single day before the interview? Or are only the most essential ones needed? I am a normally healthy guy otherwise, so what is the norm here?

Medical History Not Necessary-

You must take 2-shots: MMR & DT while going for checkup[unless u r pregnant!]..
 SO History Report is only necessary if you have taken either of the above...and want to avoid the accompanying pain...[especiall MMR!]
Thats it! Be confident.. things r straight forward..

Hotel Royal Castle - Mumbai

One more thing . I stayed in Hotel Royal Castle on the night before the interview.... Its close to Consulate. Charges Rs 1500/per night for almost regular rooms.[Other size too small]... sometimes they have running water problem [air gets in as Mr Aggrawal says]. Rm# 108 is good.

Take a cab from consulate - go further away down the road [towards My Own Studio], go further down untill you get into a big traffic crossing, Left on that....road goes up[be on right].. then under a over-pass[Peddar Rd above] ...then road goes down into a fork [be on right]: Hotel is Immediately on left.... Cab drivers know it as Near Gowalia Tank on August Kranti Marg!

CP Honey

Didn\'t you have doctors available in Calcutta for the medicals?
Looks like they have since october. I am confused will they accept doctors from Cal.since p4 do mention it.
If you had doctors from cal, why did you do medicals in Mumbai?
Please advise

I didn\'t know about doctors in Calcutta!..Also....Read on....

I went directly to Mumbai for couple of reasons... firstly I was not aware of any doctors/Hospitals in Calcutta... even if they were.. i would have preferred Mumbai... if some medical-report tick marks are missing /insufficiantly filled by doctors at Hospitals.... it would be much more difficuly to get it corrected immediately!
Some of the Cpers had complained about this before in this forum... Thats the reason!

Now, this may not happen to newly assigned Hospital in Calcutta or elsewhere... so go ahead with your arraingments with Hospitals in Calcutta! Good Luck!