Couldn't Stay in U.S.

Arnold Baruch

My wife got her green card around May, 2013. We went to the U.S. (from Japan) in June of that year. We tried to find work and a home for 6 months but with our savings giving out we gave up and in January 2014 returned to Japan, where I could find work again. Over a year later, we wonder if it's appropriate to contact Immigration to inform them. We still hope to move to the U.S. but can't see our way clear at this time.

If you didn't get a re-entry permit, the GC is dead and you'll have to spend over a grand getting another one (like before). She can surrender it officially at the embassy/consulate and apply for a B1-B2 visa simultaneously. I know she doesn't need a visit visa, but if she gets one, she can stay in the US for 6 months at a time AND adjust status once there IF there is no intent to adjust BEFORE entering the US. It's a more flexible visa. The 90 days given by the Visa Waiver Program is very constraining.

Cafeconleche, Thanks a lot for the comment. I guess we just lay low until circumstances change. We don't really have going back to the States
on the radar screen now. Maybe I'll call the consulate and get their take on it too. They're pretty nice people down in Tokyo.